DVD Burner problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok first of all im new so please be nice..

im having trouble with my DVD drive, its an LG GSA - 4163B, and when i put a blank DVD in, for some bizarre reason it comes up as a cd. i cant burn things on to the blank dvd because.. well its being read as a cd. i have the latest drivers installed and i have been able to burn dvds before. so anyone know whats wrong? i really need to be able to burn dvds so please help if you can.
and speak slowly too, im not very "quick" at understanding computers

thanks.

What program are you using to BURN DVds... As far as I can remember XP only has the ability to burn CD's not DVD's. Try a program like NERO or ROXIO

i am running nero, i have always run nero and i have also tried others and they all read the blank dvds as cds, even in My Computer the DVD burner comes up with "CD Drive" when it has a blank disk in there, and when is empty it changes to DVD-RAM drive.

That is because Windows doesn't have native DVD burning support, wait for Vista to see that.

I think you are making that up about the drivers, because that implies you installed some, which you didn't. If you did manage to install some, what ones EXACTLY did you install? XP runs generic drivers on all IDE CD/DVD drives so you never need to install any.

SNGX1275 said:
That is because Windows doesn't have native DVD burning support, wait for Vista to see that.

I think you are making that up about the drivers, because that implies you installed some, which you didn't. If you did manage to install some, what ones EXACTLY did you install? XP runs generic drivers on all IDE CD/DVD drives so you never need to install any.

Right SNGX1275,
he may be talking about "firmware" but what a mess it would be if the firmware installation failed. I have never run into this problem. I would try another CD/DVD burner for this problem

sorry, your right i did mean firmware, i installed firmware because i was told that it could fix the problem on another forum, as far as i know the firmware didnt fail and my problem was happening before i installed the firmware. and im having trouble understanding what you mean by "windows doesnt have native burning support, wait for vista to see that" because, before i had this problem i could burn dvds and did burn dvds perfectly.

Asftfar said:
sorry, your right i did mean firmware, i installed firmware because i was told that it could fix the problem on another forum, as far as i know the firmware didnt fail and my problem was happening before i installed the firmware. and im having trouble understanding what you mean by "windows doesnt have native burning support, wait for vista to see that" because, before i had this problem i could burn dvds and did burn dvds perfectly.

You have to have 3rd party DVD burning software like Nero With XP. Are your DVD's your own compilations or store bought?

PROBLEM SOLVED!
i just re installed the IDE channel that it was on and it works perfectly!
thanks everyone for trying to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back