PnkBstrA.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallabing

I installed Battlefield 2 for the first time, then somewhere when I was loading joining a game, the game minimizes to the destop and AVG anti virus comes up saying infection. All my antispyware programs and firewall detects it as severe, my shole system lights up like it's on full alert. It also appears in my processes. It does not appear in a hijack this scan.

What should I do?

I'll look more into thos.

PnkBstrA.exe is normally a legit file. However, it can also cause problems.

Do the following and see if it helps.

Download the following program:

http://www.evenbalance.com/downloads/pbsvc/pbsvc.exe

Open the program above and click the "Uninstall" button. This will remove the PnkBstrA.exe and PnkBstrB.exe service.

Some may need to rmove the registry entries.

Go to START --> RUN .. type regedit

search in these parts

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Controlset001\Sevices look for PnkBstrA PnkBstrB and PnkBstrK .. just right click on the folder listed on the left and delete.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Controlset003\Services look for PnkBstrA PnkBstrB and PnkBstrK .. just right click on the folder listed on the left and delete.

Also in C:\windows\system32\drivers is PnkBstrK.sys .. safe to delete.

Regards Howard :)

Affect thee Game?

Just curious.....before I myself use this for the same reasons...will it affect BF2142? If PB is gone will it keep me from servers that require it?
NHOMAD

howard_hopkinso said:
PnkBstrA.exe is normally a legit file. However, it can also cause problems.

Do the following and see if it helps.

Download the following program:

http://www.evenbalance.com/downloads/pbsvc/pbsvc.exe

Open the program above and click the "Uninstall" button. This will remove the PnkBstrA.exe and PnkBstrB.exe service.

Some may need to rmove the registry entries.

Go to START --> RUN .. type regedit

search in these parts

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Controlset001\Sevices look for PnkBstrA PnkBstrB and PnkBstrK .. just right click on the folder listed on the left and delete.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Controlset003\Services look for PnkBstrA PnkBstrB and PnkBstrK .. just right click on the folder listed on the left and delete.

Also in C:\windows\system32\drivers is PnkBstrK.sys .. safe to delete.

Regards Howard :)

no you can NOT uninstall it at the moment, i'm extremely psd because of this, i do not want 2 task running 24/7 on my system even if i do not play bf2 or 2142 for days

paste from pb site:
Wednesday 04.18.2007 [5:00PM]

We are aware of several players who are getting kicked for Losing Key Packets with an error code ffff0001 or ffff0002 after the v1.701 PB Client update released yesterday. There seems to be some misinformation being posted on various websites and forums in reference to the new PunkBuster services called PnkBstrA and PnkBstrB. These are NOT optional. If these are disabled or stopped or blocked by the user or anti-virus or Internet security software, updated PunkBuster servers will remove you from the game for Losing Key Packets. Users of some versions of McAfee Security Center are reporting that these PB components are getting automatically added to the "block" list. If this happens on your machine, you will need to remove them from the list in order to continue using PunkBuster. Players who have manually disabled or stopped PnkBstrA based on instructions from some other website may need to run our PBSVC program to uninstall and reinstall in order to continue playing on PB enabled servers.

-----------------
and i CAN confirm that : after disabling PnkBstrA and PnkBstrB 2142 kicked me with exactly that error every round after a few seconds

Correct, after some research and looking around, I found out that the punkbuster service seems to be mandatory......

If you uninstall PnkBstrA.exe (like the process listed above), you will get kicked 15-30 seconds after you join a Punkbuster enabled server, which is almost every battlefield game server out there right now.

So I guess it's their way or the highway....or completly uninstall the game if you no longer want the service.

ya i think they're going aggressive to prevent cheater using model name cheat where you can see enemy player from afar with their name red even behind wall etc. Just leave that pnkbsterb on or you'll be kick by PB (for bf2142 and bf2 players only)

and thz siiix for that info =]

Condor said:
ya i think they're going aggressive to prevent cheater using model name cheat where you can see enemy player from afar with their name red even behind wall etc. Just leave that pnkbsterb on or you'll be kick by PB (for bf2142 and bf2 players only)

and thz siiix for that info =]

i have no problem with going aggressively against the hacks, BUT this is the wrong way going about it

PB should load when the game starts and UNLOAD when i close the game
running a service ensures that PB is loaded 1st - but seriously this are professional (sold for money) hacks, this means all they have to do is ensure the hack-service is loaded before the PB service - now how long will this take the hack-maker to update (i say max a few days) - by definition the hack maker and client have more ways/freedoms of customizing windows and the system, if PB tries this short cut it will lose the battle badly, they try to take the battle to a field where the hackers have the better weapons (advantage)

making such services that loads with windows is a really cheap and untalented way trying to battle hacks,
so i see this as an act of desperation from PB and not quality work, they have a team of coders, full access to the game data stream, they are paid customers to get the latest hacks << and THIS is all they can come up with ?! i'm highly disappointed now, although before this i always defended PB

i mean what PB gona do next ? mandatory bios upgrades ? or "this game requires windows vista punkbuster edition" ?

now i heard that this service ONLY supposed to installed/run on machines with out admin privileges BUT this is not true, i don't even have a non-admin account, also no firewall, no adware or virus scan (not even installed) - i tweak my system to the absolute max (performance before safety, + i know what i'm doing) YET the 2 BP services are there !

i already sent my feedback to PB

Solution

solution:

leave service how it is = DO NOT remove it with msconfig or alike !

#1 create a bat file and call it (like) stop.bat:

Net Stop PnkBstrA
Net Stop PnkBstrB

#2 create a bat file and call it (like) game-start.bat

Net Start PnkBstrA
Net Start PnkBstrB
PAUSE
Net Stop PnkBstrA
Net Stop PnkBstrB

#3 move your stop.bat file in to the startmenues STARTUP folder

#4 your DONE !

now when you start windows it will automatically stop and unload the service, and when you like to run PB protected game 1st start game-start.bat then right after your normal game shortcut and when your done and closed thje game press space on the doswindow witch will remove service again and close the dos window

alternatively you can create the/a game-start.bat file with the shortcut integrated so its a 1 click thing:

Net Start PnkBstrA
Net Start PnkBstrB
"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 2142\BF2142Launcher.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1
Net Stop PnkBstrA
Net Stop PnkBstrB

where note that the location of the game.exe has to correspond with your location on your harddrive(s)

---------------
if you do not know what a bat file is : a bat file is a normal .txt text-file where the file extension is renamed from .txt to .bat

other games?

Do Starcraft or DiabloII use pnkbstrA or pnkbstrB?

I need to know if it is either one of them so I know which one to attach the .bat file to.

shuey707 said:
Do Starcraft or DiabloII use pnkbstrA or pnkbstrB?

I need to know if it is either one of them so I know which one to attach the .bat file to.

i doubt they use pb, they way to old, just try it with pb disabled and if you get a pb error message when you play multiplayer you know you need it

btw i did not know you can play those still online, they so old i would think there are no servers left

siiix said:
i doubt they use pb, they way to old, just try it with pb disabled and if you get a pb error message when you play multiplayer you know you need it

btw i did not know you can play those still online, they so old i would think there are no servers left

Well, I have pb on my computer, so it has to be one of those games. Both games are still very popular, and thousands play them everyday.

This is not your thread.

You are in the Security and the Web forum go to HERE and make your OWN thread,

Dont get upset about someone not replying to you after THREE! minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back