Opera tutorial

Ok. for XP:

Open up My Computer.

Open your C drive

Open the Documents and Settings folder

Open the folder with your username

Now. If you do not see an Application Data folder, you need to unhide hidden files folders and drives. To do this, in that folder where I said Application Data should be, hit the alt key on your keyboard. This brings up the File, Edit, View, Tools, and Help menu's (right under the address bar). Click Tools and choose Folder Options. Then go to the View tab. Next, under 'hidden files and folders' click the radio button that says "Show hidden files, folders and drives". Click ok.

Now open up Application Data.

Open Opera.

Open Opera. (yes, an Opera folder inside an Opera folder).

This is where you place that urlfilter.ini that you should download from here.

Now, when you open up Opera, it loads that (in the background) and ads are blocked.

Then you can do what I said above with going to your problematic page, right clicking, choosing block content, select details, and it will show you a list of what is blocked on that page. From there, you may be able to make an educated guess on what is being blocked that is preventing the video from working.

Ok. for XP:

Open up My Computer.

Open your C drive

Open the Documents and Settings folder

Open the folder with your username

Now. If you do not see an Application Data folder, you need to unhide hidden files folders and drives. To do this, in that folder where I said Application Data should be, hit the alt key on your keyboard. This brings up the File, Edit, View, Tools, and Help menu's (right under the address bar). Click Tools and choose Folder Options. Then go to the View tab. Next, under 'hidden files and folders' click the radio button that says "Show hidden files, folders and drives". Click ok.

Now open up Application Data.THere is no Opera or Opera inside the Opera folder See pic below.

Open Opera.

Open Opera. (yes, an Opera folder inside an Opera folder).

This is where you place that urlfilter.ini that you should download from here.

Now, when you open up Opera, it loads that (in the background) and ads are blocked.

Then you can do what I said above with going to your problematic page, right clicking, choosing block content, select details, and it will show you a list of what is blocked on that page. From there, you may be able to make an educated guess on what is being blocked that is preventing the video from working.
APPDATA.jpg

That is odd. I'd uninstall and reinstall. It should be there. What if you show your address bar in explorer, then from there (in your pic) tack on \Opera\Opera to the address?

That is odd. I'd uninstall and reinstall.

I'm sorry, but if I can't get it taken care of relatively easy with out uninstalling & reinstalling, I'll simply reinstall that Opera adblocker & go with it that way.
I'm still able to watch the news in Firefox & SeaMonkey with no problem. Thank you.:)

You can try to locate the Opera folder using Windows' search function. Maybe it's in "C:\Documents and Settings\"your username"\Local Settings\Application Data\"?

If you found the 2 Opera folders, then inside the second one just drag and drop the urlfilter.ini that you downloaded.

Once you reopen Opera, ads will be blocked.

It has at the top:
Main List: urlfilter.ini

Just right click and save that somewhere and copy it over to the 2nd Opera folder. Or alternatively, just download/save it into that folder directly.

No, you don't copy past the contents. You right click the urlfilter.ini link and save it. So you'll have a file titled 'urlfilter.ini'. That is what you put in the 2nd Opera folder.

We have too much time invested in this to quit now :D

No, you don't copy past the contents. You right click the urlfilter.ini link and save it. So you'll have a file titled 'urlfilter.ini'. That is what you put in the 2nd Opera folder.

We have too much time invested in this to quit now :D

Using SeaMonkey, this is what I get when I right click the link
URIFILTER.jpg

It has at the top:
Main List: urlfilter.ini

Just right click and save that somewhere and copy it over to the 2nd Opera folder. Or alternatively, just download/save it into that folder directly.

You are one damn fine patient individual:D IT works. I just watched a few minutes of the cbs evening news . There are still some ads,but no where near as many, no biggie, I'll live. Thank you very much.:grinthumb

Sweet! Glad you finally got it fixed!

For the remaining ads if you are brave, you can right click on the page and select block content. Then click on them. They will go away, but I've found typically when I do that, the next time they are back again because the address has changed (for the ad) just a bit, so you can start playing with using * in the address. But really thats more work than its worth. That fanboy filter should catch almost everything though. If you are getting several ads on lots of other sites then maybe thats something to look into. Hopefully though, its just letting pass whatever was responsible for you not seeing video initially.

Sweet! Glad you finally got it fixed!

For the remaining ads if you are brave, you can right click on the page and select block content. Then click on them. They will go away, but I've found typically when I do that, the next time they are back again because the address has changed (for the ad) just a bit, so you can start playing with using * in the address. But really thats more work than its worth. That fanboy filter should catch almost everything though. If you are getting several ads on lots of other sites then maybe thats something to look into. Hopefully though, its just letting pass whatever was responsible for you not seeing video initially.

Thanks. I'm taking a break now. You have a great day.

Whats with Opera Turbo? I enable it & it tells me its not needed. I turn it off & it tells me I should enable it. I put it on automatic & I still get the little pop up (balloon)
Does Opera really know what it wants/needs? :rolleyes:
I am on DSL

I would just turn it off completely. Its only useful if you are on a really slow connection, like dialup.

Why is it I can click the key to auto login to any other site but here?
I've been intending to ask this question for sometime,but kept putting it off.

Works for me. Perhaps on first login here you actually clicked "Never for this site" rather than "yes" when Opera asked if you wanted it to remember the password.

Works for me. Perhaps on first login here you actually clicked "Never for this site" rather than "yes" when Opera asked if you wanted it to remember the password.

I don't recall doing that, but if so, is there a way to reverse it?

Honestly I don't know. I'm sure there is, I just don't know how to do it.

I would try to delete the cookies from this site, and then also check out Tools -> Delete Private Data. Choose detailed options, then click on Manage Passwords. If there is anything for Techspot in there, delete it.

Honestly I don't know. I'm sure there is, I just don't know how to do it.

I would try to delete the cookies from this site, and then also check out Tools -> Delete Private Data. Choose detailed options, then click on Manage Passwords. If there is anything for Techspot in there, delete it.

Will do such & hope for the best & report back.

Back