Norton Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenchie

I'm trying to update my Nortons. I am asked to delete my existing nortons. in order to do this, I need an uninstall password. No idea what this is. Any advice on how to get round this would be appreciated.
Frenchie.

Please be more specific. You have Norton 'what' now? And you are trying to get Norton 'what'? Are you upgrading/updating/changing versions? What?

Nortons Problems

Bobbye said:
Please be more specific. You have Norton 'what' now? And you are trying to get Norton 'what'? Are you upgrading/updating/changing versions? What?
Sorry, Bobbye, Newcomer to this sort of thing. We have Nortons Symantec 2005 which was loaded onto my husbands computer for the firm he was working with. When he retired the Laptop was given to him. We are trying to load Nortons Anti Virus 2007.

Hope this helps, we are desperate.
Many thanks,
Frenchie

the uninstall password is "symantec" without the quotes

funny how they dont want you to take it off your computer :) haha

Symantec makes the Norton products. So it sounds like you have the Norton AV 2005 and are trying to update to 2007. Since 2005 is now considered the 'old version', I guess that's why you need to uninstall it, then install 2007.

That is too funny about the "symantec" password! Never heard that before. I also haven't heard of a security program requiring a password to uninstall!

This is a must though and you may have to do it in Safe Mode:
Stop Startup for uninstall:
You will need to make sure though that it does not start when you boot, or it will not allow the uninstall:

Start> Run> type in ''msconfig' without the quotes> Selective Start-up> Startup tab> uncheck the process that is for this> Apply> OK.

Reboot> Close the nag message that comes up after checking 'don't show this message again'.

Now try the uninstall in the Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs.

Nortons Problems

MMDominator88 said:
the uninstall password is "symantec" without the quotes

funny how they dont want you to take it off your computer :) haha

Well it was a Very 'funny' company... Thanks for that - worked a dream.... you are now my hero!
Frenchie

Bobbye said:
Symantec makes the Norton products. So it sounds like you have the Norton AV 2005 and are trying to update to 2007. Since 2005 is now considered the 'old version', I guess that's why you need to uninstall it, then install 2007.

That is too funny about the "symantec" password! Never heard that before. I also haven't heard of a security program requiring a password to uninstall!

This is a must though and you may have to do it in Safe Mode:
Stop Startup for uninstall:
You will need to make sure though that it does not start when you boot, or it will not allow the uninstall:

Start> Run> type in ''msconfig' without the quotes> Selective Start-up> Startup tab> uncheck the process that is for this> Apply> OK.

Reboot> Close the nag message that comes up after checking 'don't show this message again'.

Now try the uninstall in the Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs.

Oops! Saw MMDominator88's e-mail before we saw yours, so just went ahead - it appears to have worked fine (thankfully). Many thanks for all help received.
Frenchie

Get rid of Norton. It's a system hog, doesn't recognize a large number of virus/malware programs and NEVER "runs unobtrusively" in the background.
There is another way to uninstall it and delete the folders, but it requires going into the registry files. I wouldn't recommend this unless you know what you're doing.

Thanks everyone for all of your inputs, you have all been a great help. We will certainly consider getting rid of Nortons, but you all have different ideas of what is the best replacement. Very confusing to an 'oldie' (haha). we'll work it out eventually. Frenchie.

An old graph; but nothing's changed. Norton is still a resource hog

results_graph.gif

kimsland said:
An old graph; but nothing's changed. Norton is still a resource hog

results_graph.gif

Many thanks for that, I can see how Nortons hogs the system, but how do I know which anti-virus programme to use? It seems that everyone has their particular favourites and it is really just a trial and error thing... am I right?
Frenchie

I've been using Avast for over a year and haven't had a problem or a virus.Here's a link http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html Follow the on-screen directions. Only takes up a few megs AND it found virus' that Norton didn't.
Here's a link for a really good firewall [ur]//www.personalfirewall.comodo.com[/url]. I've also used this one for over a year. Nada. The new version for download can be a pain in the rear with the warnings and request for advice to block or allow, but after two weeks, it won't bother you as much.
These are free, lifetime and really work.

No, there are many reviews online already. Even comparisons. And best Antivirus lists.

Here's one: http://www.consumersearch.com/www/software/antivirus-software/
Hmm AVG as the best free one. !

To avoid others reply, I should say that different reviews seem to have different opinions (your point)
But AVG is still a good free AntiVirus.

During install (if you do decide on AVG) Make sure to update 3 times in a row (this is only done once, ie in future it will update once a day, with a very small file)
And, untick perform daily scans (wording might be out a bit) but it's at the end of install/setup, just remove the tick that wants to create a task to scan everyday (umm not needed)

At last once fully set up, and updated; run a full scan (yes do it) and remove all the viruses Norton couldn't !!! :)

edit:

Hmm fights on :) Your choice either way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back