Question on system recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um None!

You cannot download Windows or a recovery CD (Normally)

Original Operating System
Microsoft® Windows® XP MCE

You must contact the manufacturer's support to ask if you can purchase your missing Recovery disc

Thanks for reply, my computer did not come with a recovery disk. People say there is something built in the computer that can let you recover/reformat your computer.

get to the Disk Mgr and look to see if there is a second partition -- if so, it has the recovery stuff in it

Or purchase a Recovery Disc
I believe you should have this Disc, available anyway (in case of HardDisk fail)

control panel->Admin Tools -> Comp Manage

expand [+] Storage->Disk Management

If it has a recovery Partition

When you first turn on the computer, you may see a prompt like select F10 to run setup or Recovery, please check for that.

Also there is another prompt that says press DEL (or some other key) to get to BIOS (or CMOS Setup) this is not it

Okay, is there anything I need to know before going into this reformatting?Such as cd keys and such. Also any chance you might know how long it takes?

Your Windows key is stuck on the case

But if you have put any other software on, then you may need to take down those serial numbers
You could also back up any email if possible

It says there is only about 2 gigs left on the other parition. I think i am using the second one which has about 140 left. I got my computer repaired by a guy so he may have used the other parition.Can i still reformat?

Okay, pressing f10 did not start the reformatting which key does?
Also do i need any other cd's? i was browsing the fourms and it said i needed a xp cd.
Can you provide steps also? Sorry for being like this i just want a clean fresh system thats all.

If it has a recovery Partition

When you first turn on the computer, you may see a prompt like select F10 to run setup or Recovery, please check for that.
I state "like F10" as I do not know how your Recovery Partition has been installed, or how it is accessed (or even if this Partition even is the Recovery partition ??)
You may need to confirm these steps with your Manufacture.
And as I stated earlier, you really should purchase the Recovery CD (if exists for sale) from them. Even if you do have a recovery partition, owning a recovery CD is wiser (ie if the HardDrive fails, so will the recovery partition!)

Norton Ghost (I use this one)
Acronis True Image (most users like this one, images and backup incrementally)
Acronis Migrate Easy (Just disk clone - quite good!)
Drive Image (Basically an alternative)
DriveImage XML (This one is free!)
MaxBlast (I haven't used this, but it's free)

Imaging: Backs up your entire system, including Windows and data, plus your partition as well. The image can be stored on removable media, such as DVD. And usually takes under an hour (depending on size of image) to fully recover to a blank HardDrive.

Okay, i'm hoping this picture helps to see if my partition is a recovery partition.
untitled-3.jpg

Yes that looks too big just to be a diagnostic partition
I believe it is the recovery partition
Please contact the manufacture to ask how to access (and thus, restore from) this recovery partition. I note that the recovery partition is usually Fat32 not NTFS (Fat32 will allow easier Dos access), so this is confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back