Attachments to replies

Poppa Bear

Can anyone help?

When doing a reply to a thread, I copy and paste a web address from the address bar of my browser into the reply.

I had hoped it would appear in my reply as a link that could be clicked on to go direct to the web site. For some reason it only appears as normal text and not a link. Following is an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.tinyempire.com/shortnotes/files/ntldr_missing.htm

Can anyone tell me how to make this appear as a link that can be opened by clicking on it?

ps After posting this original article, I noticed the web address has appeared as a direct link not needing to be copied and pasted to a web browser address bar.

Why didn't it do this when I sent it in a reply to a post?

Well, honestly, I don't understand why it would not either, but you CAN ensure that it works. When you copy the adress from your adress bar, instead of pasting it directly into the post, simply press this button:
createlink.gif

After you click on it, paste it there, then it will be a link no matter what. If you wanted it to be something like this, then you must follow these directions:

Click on the same thing (the create hyperlink icon above) and paste the adress. As soon as you hit the "OK" button, it will highlight part of the text. That text is what shows to the users, in my case the word is "this" above.

Hope this helps!

This is a known problem

Many long URLs are shortened in how they are viewed on a tech forum
Have a look at Poppa Bear's pasted link, it has "..." in the link path.

To avoid this issue, here's what you must do forever on!

Always right click on the link to be copied
Select "Copy Shortcut"
Then paste that shortcut into the reply message

Note: It may still have the ... issue, but this is the point! Long links are automatically shortened. This helps when the link can be 10 feet long (as some are)

:)

Thanks mopar man, you're a legend. Never noticed the "sunglasses" icon for links. Unfortunately this is a quick reply so can't use the task bar to add icons.

Cheers PB (Bernie)

Also thanks to Kimsland

Am trying the same link using the link icon. So here goes.

http://E:\Drivers & Utilities\ISO Files\NTLDR Repair\Fix boot with floppies.mht

Select "Copy Shortcut"
Tried to right click on link from address bar of web site but it only allowed "copy" option, not "copy shortcut". Maybe I've misread you?

Cheers PB

ps just checked my reply and the icon link worked. Thanks guys.

pps it has appeared as a link, but the link doesn't work when you try to connect to the internet.

Re your reply Kimsland, when you say right click and choose "copy shortcut", what source are you copying from? Is it the address bar of your browser after highlighting the address? Or is it from you "Favorites" folder in the Win OS C: disc?

Tried to right click on link from address bar of web site but it only allowed "copy" option, not "copy shortcut". Maybe I've misread you?

From the address bar, copy is ok
The address bar does not shorten the links (unless you have pasted one in there)

This is weird. I have just opened the web site from my orignal link. However, when I highlight the address in the address bar and right click, and then click the "copy" option; and finally paste it after using the link icon, it appears as, and works as a link in the message I'm sending, but won't connect to the internet. Somewhere it gets changed in the process. I'm adding it again in this reply to see if it works:

http://E:\Drivers & Utilities\ISO Files\NTLDR Repair\Fix boot with floppies.mht

ps it didn't work. The addy I'm copying is: E:\Drivers & Utilities\ISO Files\NTLDR Repair\Fix boot with floppies.mht

mht ??

MHT is a word document on your computer that opens with your browser
This is not a valid link. Except in a document (ie Word)

If you wanted to attach the document in full,
attach.gif
that would work
(as long as it's under 200Kb)

By the way, did you really want to have a shortcut on the net to your E:\Drivers & Utilities\ folder ?

Now that would be a security risk, and a sharing violation
You need to upload the document to a free server, and then use the link given

Select "Copy Shortcut"
Then paste that shortcut into the reply message

Re your reply Kimsland, when you say right click and choose "copy shortcut", what source are you copying from? Is it the address bar of your browser after highlighting the address? Or is it from you "Favorites" folder in the Win OS C: disc?

From the address bar, copy is ok
The address bar does not shorten the links (unless you have pasted one in there)

Poppa Bear, what I have quoted here is what I am responding to:

What kimsland means by "copy shortcut" or for Opera "Copy Link Address" is only available when you right click on a LINK that someone else posts or any link really. For example, right lick on the Techspot banner and choose "Copy Shortcut" or "Copy Link Address" and then paste into the Address field and see what happens!

Thanks mopar man.

I've got it sorted now. I had originally saved the link to TinyEmpire to my D drive. For some reason when I clicked it open, it went to the correct web site, but showed up in the address bar as a link to my D drive. I don't understand this? Anyway, I've deleted that link and saved a new one to the site. I'm pasting a copy of the new link which I've made by opening the web page from my link, then copying the address from the browser addres bar and adding it to this reply using the sunglasses icon. Hope it works.

http://www.tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

When I want to insert an image, it asks for the "URL" of the image. What exactly is a "URL"?

ps it worked fine. Thanks for help. PB Bernie

Poppa Bear, please do not create TEST threads

They will be removed on sight, and you will be warned not to do this

So, don't do it :)

I removed your new TEST thread just then.

You should use "Preview Post" instead of submitting the new post

This will stop all the testing
If it doesn't work, just close the thread (without submitting the new test post)

To CCT.

Code: [ url=full url goes here ]text shown as link[ /url]
take out the spaces

Ref your quote above. Sorry I'm a bit thick, but could you type out the exact command you wrote to create the word "list" as a link, presumably after you had clicked the sunglasses link.

Well post#11 helped you with pictures

I'll try to help you with Links

Please Note: When you created your new Thread, just before, you had a link to C:\Documents and Settings\ etc etc etc...
This won't work

A link must be a web based link

Now for an example:

Here is a link to My "How to post a new thread"

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic114336.html

Here is the words "Click Me"

Click Me (By the way, this is not a link, yet!)

Now Highlight the Words "Click Me" by dragging over them with your mouse, ie:

2qlhele.gif
(By the way, this is not a link, yet!)

Then press the "Insert link" button, this one ->
createlink.gif

Then paste (or type) in your valid Internet link, it will then look like this:

Click Me

Here ends the small tutorial :)

Tests

Hi Kimsland,

Thanks for info and sorry about posting "Test" threads. Didn't realise that was a no-no, or that the "Preview" allowed you to view the post as it would appear on-screen after it was posted. Will do that in future.

Cheers PB

ps Tried it on the Preview pane and worked a treat. Thanks again for all your help and patience.

Just one final point of clarification. I take it that the icon used to "Insert Image" can only be used to insert images from a linked web site? Is there any way of inserting an image from your desktop? And how did you insert an image of the "sunglasses" icon?

I've just used the "manage attachments" option to add an image and used preview pane to check it, and it does work.

PB

Just one final point of clarification. I take it that the icon used to "Insert Image" can only be used to insert images from a linked web site?
:grinthumb We are finally getting somewhere! (excuse those words, I just wanted to be clear)

Is there any way of inserting an image from your desktop?
Yes :) I told you this before, but I think you need easy steps
Prepare the picture to be uploaded (basically do nothing! Sometimes users reduce the size, things like that)
Find a free Server to upload the picture to
Now there are several free Servers, across the net
Seeming I've used TinyPic before, lets do that one!

Step#1 Click on this link: http://www.tinypic.com/
Step#2 Click on that "Browse..." button and locate your Picture to upload (I usually have my pictures that I want to upload, sitting on my Desktop)
Step#3 Once you locate your picture (using "Browse..." above) Double click on it
Step#4 Click on "Upload Now" (Green Button)
Step#5 Wait a few seconds (ie The Picture is uploading)
Step#6 One of the Yellow boxes says "IMG Code for Forums..."
Step#7 Single click on the link under that heading ^^
Step#8 Right click on the Highlighted text, and select "copy"
Step#9 Come back to your message, and select "paste"
Step#10 Here's an example I just made! (Following the above steps Precisely!)
4lgem9.gif

Here ends the next tiny Tutorial

OK here goes. Have folowed all the steps you set out exactly... much thanks for all the trouble of setting it out. Really appreciated.

2mcujck.jpg

Thanks Kimsland, you're a legend and a patient legend at that. I'm 68 years old and learning still. Using the edit personal details option, I set that picture as my personal pic for my posts by taking it off my desktop, and it's shown as such in my details, but it doesn't show in my posts. Can you throw any light on that?

Back