Adobe question

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaff

When I try to download and open a document from the internet into Adobe (Reader 9), I get an error message. I just reinstalled the program, but to no avail.I'm guessing that it's being blocked somewhere, but I don't know where to look.

Thanks.

Vaughn

Adobe Reader may be being blocked by:

1. Your Internet Settings

How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES

To use RIES in Internet Explorer 7, follow these steps:

1. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
3. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
4. When Internet Explorer 7 finishes restoring the default settings, click Close, and then click OK two times.
5. Close Internet Explorer 7. The changes take effect the next time that you open Internet Explorer 7.

Note for users who cannot start Internet Explorer 7 for some reason, use RIES from Internet Options in Control Panel.

Refer here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/ietopten.mspx
For even more options

2. Your Firewall

This may include Windows firewall
If you are using a 3rd party firewall, please open your firewall and locate where to default the firewall settings

It may also be required that you will need to fully un-install your firewall (as in some cases the default settings, do not default all settings

3. Live protecting programs

Such as Spybots Search & Destroy, or any other program starting with your computer, and that has been set to disable Adobe from running

The easiest option here, is to again remove (un-install) the live protecting programs

4. Adobe program issues

Please un-install then re-install Adobe Reader (also complete all Adobe updates on top of this)

5. A Windows settings issues

There are actually many settings in Windows that can cause this
Including:
Default startup application for Adobe being corrupted
Group Policy settings being set to disable Adobe
Even your Hosts file being set to disable certain links
Or possibly even Windows itself requiring to be repaired

These areas can be very critical, and hopefully you will not get to this point!

6. Virus\Malware issue

Virus or Malware can cause lots of different issues and strange behaviour on users computers. If you feel you have tried everything, then have a look at: Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

--------------------

If the above still does not help, approach Adobe directly!

One small addition to kimsland's excellent advice: I am seeing an enormous number of report of problems with the Adobe Reader v9. I do not normally suggest a different program but prefer to 'fix' the existing problem.

However, in the case of Adobe, you do have a choice of a PDF Reader- many users don't realize that. We're all teethed on the Adobe product for years and many think it's the only reader in town.

The other reader is e It is free. It does the same thing as the adobe Reader and the program doe not have the bloat of Adobe. If you would like to look into this:

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader_2/reader-interstitial.html

IF you decide to use this, the Adobe Reader program can then be uninstalled in Add/Remove Programs in the control Panel (take it off of Startup first)

warning. Foxit used to be bundled with adware and bloatware. I don't know if this is still the case, but I just wanted to put it out there.

warning. Foxit used to be bundled with adware and bloatware. I don't know if this is still the case, but I just wanted to put it out there.
__
It is not, nor has it been since I've been using it. I wouldn't be recommending it if that was the case. IT sounds more like you are referring to the Adobe Reader which IS bundled with all that trash!

I haven't used Foxit in quite a long time - but I distinctly remember it came with a bunch of crapware. Perhaps it was the site I downloaded it from. In any case - I haven't had issues with the latest adobe reader. I think the bottom line it is really a matter of preference with users. I haven't really noticed any lag times with adobe reader. But I have really streamlined my computers - to include this old laptop I brought with me to use while I'm in Iraq. It's my trusty workhorse! To be honest, I haven't had the chance to use my desktop in over 2 years! haha

But back to adobe and foxit- I think both are fine programs. Just pick whatever works. If foxit doesn't have bloatware now, that's great. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back