Cannot boot xp. ntfs.sys blue screen 0x00000024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, newbie here.

I'm currently having the same problem as well.

XP won't boot up, not even in safe mode. Tried to get into the recovery/repair install section when booting from the XP CD,...still brings me to this

"STOP 0x00000024" blue screen. ntfs.sys - Address F7070746 base at F705F000

I tried to install win 2k on this same partition, but it says the drive needs to be formatted completely before installation can proceed. Should I try to install on a new partition on the same drive?

This is just frustrating. Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Asus A7N8x Deluxe, Crucial 1G DDR RAM, WD 320GB SE SATA

ok putting in my two cents here:)
i got the exact error that hed did(i went through every page and it seemed some faced other errors so) and i couldn't do the floppy disk thing because i don't have one on my rig.So that was out of the question from the start:(
i couldn't find a windows 2003 server cd either(question:if that works vista dvd should also work shouldn't it?)
so my first option was using the xp usb thingy,thought renaming ntfs.sys in that would stop the stop error lol boy was i wrong:p so bart PE windows was out of the question now :sigh: :sigh: (btw there were some people who could use it in this thread so obviously another error)....
Then came the life saver bearing the name ultimate boot cd or ubcd which has disk diagnostic tools from every hd manufacturer plus disk cloning tools,low level editing tools,wiping tools and a whole lot of etcs;) (almost everything you can ever hope for) so i downloaded the image(which is 87megs compared to knoppix which is almost 700 megs and it can't do what this lil baby can) burnt it and boot off of it phew then i used the manufacturer's diagnostic tool just to be sure my hd was ok,and then i used ntfs4dos which comes with ubcd and ran chkdsk on all drives and voila my system was up and running again:)
ntfs4dos is linked earlier but that site charges money for this free for personal use tool and that sucks,i found another cd image someone made but thats only on torrents(but legal lol) so anyways thats my story hope it helps someone who comes to this thread

Fixed

big thanks to all here for helping to fix my pc
had tried all the fixes but none worked, next was knoppix
dubdubdub.retosphere.de/tipsandtricks/ntfserror.php?menu_id=24&
(replace dubs with w, post count to low i think for links)
i had problems at first that was saying errors, run chkdsk

dont mount drive,dont even open it to explore(auto mounts drive)
i used knoppix 5.1
this is how i fixed my errors

buttom task bar 2 nd button from left (penguin)click on it, scroll up to root shell
a pop up box kinda like dos
at this point i had all my hdd showing on desk top with names hda1(primery hdd) and sda1, sda2, sda3 (sata hdd that has ntfs errors)
i did this but not sure if needed but i did any ways
Type "su" and press enter. (this makes you root)
Type "cfdisk" and press enter
it only picked up on hdd and cd rom, not my sata hdd
type: "ntfsfix /dev/sda1" and press enter. (as i can see name of it on desktop)
i did above for all sda2 sda3

if you get a warning saying corrpt, run chkdsk
right click the hdd (on desktop)and click on "unmount"
then try above again, i had this problem and this fixed it

Thanks all for the great posts and fixes

Having the same problem.... I came home started up my computer, goes through post screen then says your computer didn't start correct (safe mode, etc, etc) but doesn't matter what one you click on as soon as it gets to the windows loading screen it. flashes a quick bsod screen that you cannot read... and restarts again. So im lost... reseated memory pull all 4 of them out when 1 by 1 thou different slots doesn't matter does the same thing... tried reformatting with XP Pro, Vista, Vista 64 all pop a NTFS. SYS bsod screen.........

I can not get mini's cause it wont load anything with out quickly restarting or when tryin to put a disk in to get another system loaded it. you get NTFS.sys problem....

any help lol getting aggravated about to just order another hard drive lol...

This thread started 05-07-2003 and I think should be used for reference only

Falcon85 or anyone else viewing

It would be best for you to start your own thread
You can read how to create your own thread -->H E R E

Fix for ntfs.sys blue screen using NTFS4DOS

I had the same problem everyone else has posted here. Booting up normally resulted in a BSOD with the ntfs.sys file. Safe mode, recovery console, repair option from the WinXP setup cd, etc all yielded the same thing. At first I thought the hard drive was bad but a quick HD check proved that theory wrong.

This was a Windows XP install on a Dell XPS Gen 4 machine. Hard drive was a 74 gig WD Raptor drive.

I had backups and could have just blown it away and started over easily enough but that's a major pain and takes awhile to get things restored and tweaked the way you like it.

So after reading through all 7 pages of this forum I decided to give NTFS4DOS a shot and run the chkdsk program. Worked awesomely! Chkdsk found errors in the security descriptor tables and also found some file tables that were listed as used but weren't really and some other stuff but it corrected it all.

This fix will work for those systems that have a floppy drive available. You might be able to adapt this to a bootable USB stick or CD but I didn't have to go that route since mine has one.

Download NTFS4DOS (now freeware) from here:
softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/Avira-NTFS4DOS-Personal.shtml

This will install to your hard drive. Once installed, run the program and first use their format option on the floppy disk and choose the option to make it an MS-DOS boot disk.

Once formatted, have it create the disk and copy the utils to it and make sure all the options are checkmarked as you navigate through their screens so you get everything.

Once your boot floppy is ready, boot it up on your dead PC. Choose the CHKDSK option.

When the CHKDSK gui program runs, it'll show you all the available drives to scan (note: drives in a RAID array cannot be fixed this way - they'll be grayed out).

Type the letter of the drive you want to fix. It will ask if you want to run CHKDSK in read only mode. That's up to you if you want to do that first. I said no, cause what the heck, it isn't working anyway!

Let chkdsk work its magic until its done (3 phases), then pop out the floppy and reboot and if all goes well you should be back into Windows.

If you don't back up your stuff regularly, go to newegg.com or buy.com and buy yourself an external hard drive and back it up!

CheckDisk

I decided to give NTFS4DOS a shot and run the chkdsk program. Worked awesomely!

Running Check Disk, is a very standard and basic thing to do, and is mentioned on every page, and in most posts (including the first post in 2003)

From within Windows
Checkdisk Xp, or Checkdisk Vista instructions
From Boot Up
Just use your Windows CD and boot from it
Select the first R prompt, to log into the recovery console
Press 1 then Enter
Then type: chkdsk C: /f then press enter
Or type: chkdsk C: /R if it cannot find "F"

Note: Windows Vista does not contain a Recovery Console
Here are the boot Recovery Options
For running Check Disk

You can just as easily download any free boot disc that carries Check Disk (I think that's what the above post was mentioning, in a confusing way!)

UBCD; Hiren's BootCD; BartPE; obviously NTFS4DOS Really it's a big list, too big to mention. H e r e 's a simple Xp Recovery Console Boot Disc

I created my own Boot Disc a long time ago, but in my view just grab your Windows CD, and boot from that, if you can't run it from inside Windows.

My Experiences

I used an FSB overclocking utility called ClockGen, and using a bad pll crashed my PC. On restart, i was greeted with "Windows Loading" and then blue screen+restart. So I tried again with safe mode but still blue screen+restart and no clue of the stop message whatsoever.

I also use Linux, openSUSE 10.3, so I started that and it worked perfect, only my windows ntfs drives did not mount by default (something fishy here..). I deduced that the problem was definitely windows specific.

So I inserted windows CD, and tried the windows repair -> again blue screen but i could clearly see the message this time: "ntfs.sys error, bad addressstamp etc etc, use chkdsk utility in recovery console for blah blah...". So I inserted windows CD, and tried the windows recovery console -> again blue screen + message. I needed to repair the ntfs.sys file manually, just replacing it with the one on windows cd.

I fired up openSUSE 10.3, and mounted the ntfs C: partition by opening konsole, navigate to folder, use the command "mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /windows/C -o force" as superuser. Note that the force option is explicitly mentioned here. Open the CD, i386 folder, copy ntfs.sys to c:\windows\system32\drivers\. Backup your old ntfs.sys as ntfs.old or something.

Restarted PC, and voila, it worked like a charm. No need to reinstall Windows here, and zero data loss!!!

Worked for me!

Well, thanks to Knoppix I was able to do a ntfsfix on my hard drive but apparently my hard drive has worse problems. It chugs along trying to process Windows XP but perks right up with Knoppix. Thanks for the info guys. My Dell Desktop 2400 was able to salvage the data on my hard drive. Now I'm running some other utilities from Ultimate Boot CD to see if I can make Windows run faster. I am truly amazed at Knobbix and its ability to run off of a CD. Reminds me of the old days, before we had hard drives and every operating system ran off of floppy disks that really flopped!

Hi guys, I had same problem, but after reading all of suggest, I figured out doing as\somebody suggest: Your hard\drive is no dead, it's just corrupted, so, look for other one, install XP on it (under the same PC), after finish installation configurate the problem HD as slave, and plug it on the machine. After reboot, the computer recognize one of the drives with problems and would active the CHKDSK, doing this your NTFS corrupted Reg Portion will be regerated and ...Kaboom....turn off, reconfigurate the original one as a master and every will be fine, no lose of data, no reistallation, no bother....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back