MS Update issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DelJo63

two + weeks ago I performed MS Update and 6-8 fixes were installed.
While they all still show in Add/Remove, MS Update says they are missing.
Attempting a second pass at these updates, they download find but fail to install.

Is that goofy! I've clean the TEMP areas (both system and the admin profile area) and it
still fails.

1) any guess as to why/how the inconsistency occured?

2) ideas on getting consistent again?

tnx; Jeff

2) How about trying uninstalling the updates in Add and Remove and then reinstall through Windows Update again. You could also use Ccleaner or similar program of your choice to clean the registry before reinstalling, just in case.

I second mailpup's suggestions and will add some general info that may or may not help you debug/figure out what the heck is going on

1) Check C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log for any clues
2) Add/Remove
> Entries are kept in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
> Since this key is organized for convenience of Add/Remove i'd guess Update History is maintained elsewhere
> Note: Add/Remove does NOT show you all program entries. (The registry allows for entries to selectively tell Add/Remove to not display it)
3) I think (not certain) that the files themselves are kept in C:\Windows with names like $NtUninstallKB939683$

/* edit */
Based on a very quick look (so caveat emptor) i think Update History might kept in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\HotFix

thanks for the feedback.
@mailpup; would like to avoid the Remove/reinstall if at all possible -- lots of time and huge system restore impact (which is my safety net :) )

@LookinAround; I'll investigate the REG vs NtUninstallKB* (in)consistency question

I'll post back my findings ...

Jeff

thanks timeless52.

FYI on package layouts:
  • The install packages are at

\windows\$hf_mig$\KBnnnn
    and the installer is at update\update.exe​
  • The uninstalls are at

\windows\$NtUninstallKBnnnn
    and stepping into the subdir SPUNINST you can uninstall (without Add/Remove)
    using SPUNINST\SPUNINST.EXE​
  • It appears that uninstaller is also located at

\windows\$hf_mig$\KBnnnn\spuninst.exe​

MS has a tool called Patch Registration Cleanup which likely will solve your problem.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...94-4d9d-4676-8283-1ba674374d71&displaylang=en

@timeless52
Thanks as well timeless52. That's a very handy tool to know about.

@jobeard
Thanks for that directory info as well....
> I was first pointed to \windows\$NtUninstallKBnnnn many years ago when reading something about cleaning up space on your HD
> fyi.. for last many years, i'll occasionally check for and delete $NtUninstallKBnnnn files over 1 year old
> Will have to look at \windows\$hf_mig$\KBnnnn as well

for example; KB980182

C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB980182 doesn't exist
C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB980182$ doesn't either
(add remove is missing KB980182)
so this ought to look like a new install
%userprofile%\Local Settings\ is devoid of KB980182 also

the installer creates C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB980182 and
\KB980182 \update\update.ver is delivered in the patch so this is really strange!

23.219: KB980182 Setup encountered an error: The update.ver file is not correct.
23.234: KB980182 Setup encountered an error: The update.ver file is not correct.
23.359: AnalyzeForBranching: g_bRepeatInventory set to TRUE because target file c:\windows\system32\tdc.ocx has branch sp3gdr which is greater than branch for sp2qfe
23.359: AnalyzeForBranching: g_bRepeatInventory set to TRUE because target file c:\windows\system32\dllcache\tdc.ocx has branch sp3gdr which is greater than branch for sp2qfe
23.500: AnalyzeForBranching: g_bRepeatInventory set to TRUE because target file c:\windows\system32\ieencode.dll has branch sp3gdr which is greater than branch for sp2qfe
23.500: AnalyzeForBranching: g_bRepeatInventory set to TRUE because target file c:\windows\system32\dllcache\ieencode.dll has branch sp3gdr which is greater than branch for sp2qfe
23.500: AnalyzeForBranching: g_bRepeatInventory set to TRUE because target file c:\windows\system32\html.iec has branch sp3gdr which is greater than branch for sp2qfe
23.562: AnalyzeForBranching used 234 ticks.
23.562: AnalyzeComponents: Branch sp2qfe is not applicable to target workstation
23.562: AnalyzeComponents used 609 ticks
23.562: InventoryThread: Failed, parent branch doesn't have valid inf file
23.562: Inventory complete: ReturnStatus=61677, 812 ticks
23.562: Num Ticks for invent : 812
23.562: KB980182 Setup encountered an error: Required installation branch was not found in INF file.
23.719: Required installation branch was not found in INF file.
25.234: Message displayed to the user: Required installation branch was not found in INF file.
25.234: User Input: OK
25.234: Update.exe extended error code = 0xf0ed
25.234: Update.exe return code was masked to 0x643 for MSI custom action compliance.​

there are subdirs sp2QFE sp3gdr sp3QFE under many if not most C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KBnnnn

hmm; musing -- SP3 did NOT install properly so I reverted to SP2.
what if all those xxxx has branch sp3gdr are remnants of SP3 ?

I just recv'd the SP3 CD but was deferring the next REDO of sp3 install

I'm convinced; the system is 'crossed-wired'

Attachments

• Invalid_SP.JPG
    Invalid_SP.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 10
It's starting to look like a clean install of Windows would be less work than trying to track this problem down unless you are dead set on figuring it out come heck or high water.

Which OS version of Windows are you running? Looks like XP? Go under Safe mode and backup your history, desktop, docs and favorites and blow out your current profile. See if that fixes the issue. Sounds like something is gone out of wack on your system. "Do you run any registry cleaners like IOBIT Advance System Care things like that? Or you can try to re-install SP3 again. Still might not solve your issue. OS corrupted then the only way to fix it would be with the WinXP PE or Bart PE, but that's no way to tell if that would work either. I have to agree with mailpup blow out that system and re-install the OS.

First Uninstalling and then reinstalling SP3 seems more logical way to go. However, if you have a system restore point which predates your OS up-gradation to SP3, it can be even more handy. Regards

Edit:
I guess tipstir also suggested the same remedy about the same time while I was typing/posting this :)

With all the business programs and software development on this system, a wipe and start over would be suicidal.

Some background:
a restore point was first created, SP3 was download and installed, followed by some 38 MS Updates to SP3. When it was over, several nasty issues developed which made the system just unusable. The decision was to regress by;
  • First uninstalling the 38 updates, ensuring they were removed LIFO
    (hint: dir list of \windows and display by date descending; then use the
    \windows\$hf_mig$\KBnnnn\spuninst.exe which went well)
  • Then the restore point was used to regress back to SP2
Display of systeminfo clearly shows SP2, so one would think AHH, good to go.

As system restore does not capture files in \windows (just reg* and drivers), the failure on my part, was not having a system state backup :sigh:

I'm cleaning up and preparing to reinstall SP3 and will move more slowly to try to make that work.

With all the business programs and software development on this system, a wipe and start over would be suicidal.
Ummm... file this under "Shoulda, woulda, coulda"

But i vaguely recall a thread where you and i were on diametrically opposite sides of the fence re: the value of cloning a hard drive for backups vs using "file/folder" type backup and then needing to do reinstalls with install CDs

No further comment :rolleyes:

/* edit */
I'm convinced; the system is 'crossed-wired'
just fyi.. the jpg you posted looks just like the problem with late SP2 / early SP3 when people were trying to fix problems with the MS UAA High Def Audio controller driver missing. As i recall there's a single registry entry that flags your install SP level with a simple value of 1, 2 or 3. People were changing their registry level to install patch then changing it back.

Note: just passing this tidbit along as technical fyi.. i don't know if it would help or hurt you nor am i recommending you patch this field in trying to fix your problem

Ummm... file this under "Shoulda, woulda, coulda"

But i vaguely recall a thread where you and i were on diametrically opposite sides of the fence re: the value of cloning a hard drive for backups vs using "file/folder" type backup and then needing to do reinstalls with install CDs

No further comment :rolleyes:
yep; :blush:

/* edit */

just fyi.. the jpg you posted looks just like the problem with late SP2 / early SP3 when people were trying to fix problems with the MS UAA High Def Audio controller driver missing. As i recall there's a single registry entry that flags your install SP level with a simple value of 1, 2 or 3. People were changing their registry level to install patch then changing it back.

Note: just passing this tidbit along as technical fyi.. i don't know if it would help or hurt you nor am i recommending you patch this field in trying to fix your problem
I'll certainly check it out, but I posted only one of sever error log details --
but hey, if they're similary that would really be sweet. thanks.

I personally never don't care in these System Restore Points. Never able to restore the system correctly when you install software beyond the SRP. Then software applications never seem to work right after that SRP. This case with SP2 and SP3 has been an issue for some time now. I always decided to just backup the files I need. Blow out the HDD (best to use a wipe it disc) then install OS with integrated SP3 in there. Thus no need to go through this issue. Or Install a fresh copy with SP1, then install SP2 then install SP3. Then restore from backup your data files.

Some times we're too caught up in trying to fix the issue but it not working as we had thought it could be. Just have to pull in your tail and do it the right way. Good luck.

SRP has helped me out few times over, but in all those occasions it was hardware/drivers related issues, I usually stick with 'minimalistic' approach when it comes to softwares I install on my PCs; hence I rarely venture out from that set. Anyway, having used XP/Vista/7; I think SRP produce slightly better results from vista onwards.

As my primary system is the Toshiba Laptop and I've never jumped thru hoops with overclocking,
the hardware is all original. However, a naked system (imo) is not cost justifiable and not very useful
so I need an accounting system, management software and some software development tools.

My big mistake was not recalling the SRP limitation and not having a System State Backup
before runing the major SP3 update -- really dumb on my part!
Live and learn (sometimes with unfortunate side effects) :sigh:

Oh well, we all do that, e.g. few months back I updated this HP DV1125em's display driver; without bothering to create a restore point/backup etc.

Everything works fine, no issues since the update; until I found out while trying to watch some video that MP-HC x64 will completely freeze, after a second or so the whole OS will freeze; only way to make this thing work again then is to power off and then turn it on again.

Funnily, Event Viewer doesn't record anything at all. So I too am stuck like you at least until nVidia updates the driver again and removes this stupid bug in the drivers.

IMHO At least for moving forward:
$50 for Acronis True Image 2010 (a bit more for home network/multi-computer licensing) is well worth the price for return on investment (in data security)

You can clone your disk and choose
> "Sector by Sector" if you're backing up a possibly corrupt filesystem and you want to be sure to preserve the full disk surface
> "Smart" backups - it won't backup pagefiles, unallocated space, etc. for normal backups and to reduce storage space
> You can also choose to do Full, incremental or differential backups

You can also Explore or Mount backups (so you can use standard tools on mounted backup volumes). It the also provides you simple file/folder views of your cloned drive backup if you just want to restore on an individual file/folder basis

You can also just do system state or data backups and more...

Oh well, we all do that, e.g. few months back I updated this HP DV1125em's display driver; without bothering to create a restore point/backup etc.

Everything works fine, no issues since the update; until I found out while trying to watch some video that MP-HC x64 will completely freeze, after a second or so the whole OS will freeze; only way to make this thing work again then is to power off and then turn it on again.

Funnily, Event Viewer doesn't record anything at all. So I too am stuck like you at least until nVidia updates the driver again and removes this stupid bug in the drivers.

Can't you go to device manager and do a "rollback driver" on it? I'm pretty sure that works without you explicitly creating a restore point.

Q.E.D. pea brain clearly forgot. :shrug:

No..no.. i wasn't trying to remind you...

I meant should you choose to use Acronis, you can also choose to have Acronis backup system state or focus on just data backups :)

/* edit */
i.e. in addition to its cloning functionality. It's rather flexible

yes, thank you -- I've used Acronis before. The ONLY feature I dislike is the way it (doesn't) support multiple partitions ---
oh it runs, but beware on a restore as it reformats the HD and restores ONLY what was capture;
if you have 2 parts and capture only one, the second will be gone after the restore.

And when old bone-head fouls out, I do a great job of it, so hammer away -- I deserve it :) :wave:

I been using Acronis 3+ years and don't recall seeing that problem... Maybe you ran a still older version?

In any event and as far as i know, Acronis should allow you to restore either the entire disk or select partitions on the disk you cloned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back