Computer Restarts....Can MINIDUMP Help?...Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I really hope someone can help me. I have recently started to encounter a problem with my PC in that it keeps restarting itself when I play Age of Mythology. I'll be playing the game and all of a sudden, the PC will just reboot itself, and an error message appears after restart with 'recovered from a serious system error.' (It does have the error details with it, but I failed to write these down - will do so next time this happens).

I've been reading lots of different posts but am not really sure as yet what the problem could be. My minidump folder contains 54 minidump files. I don't know how to read these so I can't help myself there!

I wonder if anyone can help?

The PC is a Hewlett Packard Pavilion 781.uk PC

Intel Pentium 4 2Ghz,
256Mb PC2100 RAM,
ATI Radeon 7500 All-in-wonder Graphics Card,
Onboard Sound

Will try to attach the minidump files in another post in this thread once I have them zipped up!

Well first of all your minidumps can ONLY be placed in the Windows OS forum. This is a TS rule, so those members here that can read them don't have to look around in every forum trying to find them. Go to the WinOS forum and READ the sticky about posting minidumps before you post them.
Obviously you'll need to start a new thread in that forum.

For now read my BSODs link below and post back the watts on your PSU here. Go to the ExtremePSUCal link and determine how much wattage you need. Note how many amps you have on your 12 and 5 volt rails. See the PSU:LABEL link below for an example. You can see your label by removing the side your PC.
I will help you with any harware issues you might have here in this thread, your new thread in WinOS will be for the minidumps.

Cheers.

Power Supply Details

Firstly, thanks for your quick reply kirock. TS rules noted, I will start another thread in the Windows OS Forum for my minidumps.

My PSU quotes on it that it has a max power output of 200W. According to the ExtremePSUCal I need 186W (without allowing for capacitor aging or surge compensation).
The amps on the rails are as follows:

+12VDC = 12A
+5VDC = 23A

Also quoted on the power supply is '+12V & +5V = 163W (MAX)'

Regards

John :)

Well for the $40-50 cost of buying a decent PSU, and the fact it will most likely solve your BSOD problems, I think it is a very wise and prudent purchase.

As I explained in my BSOD post, a 200W PSU is only really giving out 70-80% of that continuously. So that's more like 140 to 160Watts, with 200W peaks. When the CPU, RAM and Video card need the extra amps, it's just not there.
In my post is a link to PSUList. I think you should look for something in the 400W range with 20A on the 12V rail. A unit like that should only cost $35US.

Cheers.

Burn-in

That sounds like it's a good idea to me. I'll purchase one as soon as I can then.

Just briefly...Now you mention the power supply could be the cause of the problem, I ran a burn-in on Sisoft Sandra earlier today (just after I posted my reply), and the burn in stopped after running 4 times (not the 10 recommended by the program) because the power supply got too hot - reached 58 degrees C!!

Thank you very much for your help in this matter kirock, I really appreciate it

Regards

John :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back