Ram divider does not work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My problem:
I can run at 2800 MHz (282x10) at the 333/166 divider. but having my ram that fast (233Mhz) is not super stable. So it would be nice to put my RAM out of the equation and have it run at the underclocked divider of 266/133.( before fryiong something I was able to run there) Giving it a speed of ~186MHz. But it can't do that. I freeze in POST.

And ideally I'd want to be able to run another multiplier (than 10) to enable my ram to run closer to 200 MHz. But the same no post /half a frozen post screen occurs.

Right now I have my system running nice at a mellow clock of:
245x10=2450
333 divider so the Ram is slightly OC'ed at ~204MHz (2.5-3-3-6 1T)

I took this setting and just changed the divider down to 266
The FSB to 272
Multiplier to 9
HTP=3
So CPU would be at: ~2448 MHz
Ram running at ~180MHZ underclocked (2.5-3-3-6 1T)
But I could not get past the frozen post screen.

Then I just changed the divider to 333 so my ram would run at ~226MHz and 2.5-3-3-6 1T And I post and boot into XP no problem.

this is with 272x9=2448 MHz
I'm sure Id crash in 10 minutes running Orthos with that settinf. But I post here but not at the above???

I was sure it was my cpu cuz it had a marred/bunt pin.
I mem-tested my ram its ok
I tried an identical new cpu in the mobo and it does the same thing. At this point I thought my mobo was damaged. And the burn was from the socket hole at that pin. (T7)
Then I got another identical motherboard and tried my old X2 CPU in it and the same thing. (I would try the new X2 in the new mobo but I gave it back)

So I am wondering if this sounds like it was definetly something that was both the cpu and mobo?

I am wanting to try an opteron but I dread having the same problem. If so then what on earth would it be doing this?

Could my video card have anything to do with it?

Do the symptoms I am having sound like something the CPU is responsible for?

Again, I tested my ram and it made lots of passes ok. So is this memory divider something that happens in the CPU?

This is the hardware in question:
Asus A8Ne
Athlon 3800+X2 939
Corsair XMS 2048c2 (2x1gb) DDR400
ASUS Extreme N6600LE Silencer/TD/256M

Really appreciate anyone who even spent the time reading this.

Any questions please ask, I'll respond ASAP.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back