Please do some proofreading of your new threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! This was a long time coming. I, for one, am sick of reading poorly written posts with ghetto-speak, bad grammar, etc...

Communication is vital in ANY field. Those that think that they can get away with improper English and a failure to READ, WRITE, and SPEAK correct English in the American workforce are in for rude awakening. While it may seem cute to write and speak slang and use improper English, others will laugh behind your back and think you're a ***** and/or uneducated. In the end, it is only the poorly educated and poorly disciplined person that winds up losing that job offer, that contact, that help, etc...

We here at TS understand that there are quite a few foreigners here and we also take that into account that English is not their native language - this does not pertain to you. In fact, it is a sad commentary on education and the state of discipline when foreigners use better written English than Americans.

Thanks Cap'n - that was a refreshing post and I am glad there are others out there that think like I do.

BTW- Perfect example of a bad post that I came across today: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic112992.html

Dis be whut we dun be needin', y'all a bees tellin' us whut 2 thimk n ho 2 operize dis hear fo-rum! I bee's thinkin' that sum 1 wit olny 13 posts ought to wait a bit a 'n ak-shoe-lee do sum wurk a-4 dey be shootin' off de dey mouth. U cud give us'n all de impression thet y'all is a jus 1 of dem thar trolls.
That was a gem cap’n kwankie…er…I mean captaincranky :), in both content and manner of expression!
handclappingyu1.gif

Humour aside, writing correct English is really part of the rules and should not be disputed. But apart from that, it shows good education and, even more important, respect for others who have to read it.

Someone seeking help who doesn’t take the time to prepare a good post should not fairly expect others to spend their time in deciphering his message and helping him.

Seems I as I fully expected, some of you have missed the point entirely.

I would say the vast majority of computer users are not technically able to solve their own problems and that`s the primary reason for coming to a tech site like TS. They come here because they need help.

I agree that text speak can be annoying, but the bottom line is still the fact TS is supposed to be a help site.

Why some of you seem to think you`re above everybody else is a mystery. I suppose it comes with some of you thinking you`re perfect.

There are many many reasons why someone may have bad grammar or spelling skills, but no matter as obviously that is beyond you self righteous comprehension.

I have helped many thousands of people with computer problems and while it is true, I have to be able to understand what the OP is posting, as long as I do understand, I really don`t see a problem if the grammar and spelling aren`t correct.

I repeat, if the OP was able to edit his/her own thread title, then maybe a lot of what are obviously type`o`s could be fixed without the need for people to start sighing and casting their displeasure.

Even if TS doesn`t want OP`s to have that ability, how long does it take for a mod to correct a thread title? If mods can`t be bothered or find that such a chore, then maybe they have no business in being a mod at all.

Gillian.

Well, I beg to differ......

You seem to have missed the point. The point is you have fourteen posts. all of them relating to what you think of the people here at Techspot, and how the forum is run. Not one of them relates to you doing anything whatsoever to supplying the help you're so indignant about people "not receiving".You then go on to criticize the moderators about them being lazy and unwilling to rewrite the dreck that appears on the site. Either work towards becoming a moderator as all of them has over time, offer assistance, or have the good taste to shutup. Prima fascia, most this nonsense you're spouting seems like trolling. As a result of that, I'm reporting your post above.

I have helped many thousands of people with computer problems and while it is true, I have to be able to understand what the OP is posting, as long as I do understand, I really don`t see a problem if the grammar and spelling aren`t correct.
So does this mean that one day soon Techspot is likely to benefit from this largesse?

I repeat, if the OP was able to edit his/her own thread title, then maybe a lot of what are obviously type`o`s could be fixed without the need for people to start sighing and casting their displeasure.
Here again you have no idea what you're talking about. The titles and body of a post are both editable. But since you obviously know all about it, I'll leave it in your capable hands to figure it out

Even if TS doesn`t want OP`s to have that ability, how long does it take for a mod to correct a thread title? If mods can`t be bothered or find that such a chore, then maybe they have no business in being a mod at all.

Gillian.
Well thank God you're here Gillian, now we can fire all the moderators on your mere say so!

Of course you must do whatever you think is right.

I don`t see why having 14 posts is an issue or at all relevant. I came here thinking TS was a fantastic help resource and in the main, I still think that`s the case. I just don`t think threads such as this are really that helpful to TS. It gives folks the impression that there`s an awful lot of jumped up buggers here and judging by some of the responses I couldn`t blame someone for thinking that.

My main purpose in coming to TS was to try and help others and if you look at what I`ve posted thus far, I think you`ll see that was my intention.

I have been accused of many things, but this is the first time I`ve ever been accused of being a troll lol. I was merely voicing my opinion, or is it the case at TS, that voicing ones opinion is only allowed as long as you agree with the so called established members?

Edit: I now see you found it necessary to double post rather than edit your post. Not a very good example from a so called established member. ;)

Gillian

There is no difference with having 1 post or thousands of posts
When I came here I had knowledge and experience already, even at post 1

This thread intention was "Please do some proofreading of your new threads"
After all these posts on examples and why or why not it is important, proofreading of posts before being submitted is still the best measure.

captaincranky.

OMG, you really are an ***** aren`t you? Did you have to practice this astounding feat of a complete and utter lack of understanding, or does it just come naturally?

Edit: For what it`s worth Kimsland, I do actually agree with you.

Gillian

My main purpose in coming to TS was to try and help others and if you look at what I`ve posted thus far, I think you`ll see that was my intention.
Well, I've unfortunately come to a different conclusion.

I have been accused of many things, but this is the first time I`ve ever been accused of being a troll lol. I was merely voicing my opinion, or is it the case at TS, that voicing ones opinion is only allowed as long as you agree with the so called established members?
That's all you've done is "voice your opinion", you haven't helped anyone.

Edit: I now see you found it necessary to double post rather than edit your post. Not a very good example from a so called established member. ;)
Gillian
\You know what, that was a slip of the mouse, unnecessary, I agree. But surely those lazy, good for nothing moderators will see the error and correct it. Why don't you get on them until they do?

captaincranky.

OMG, you really are an ***** aren`t you? Did you have to practice this astounding feat of a complete and utter lack of understanding, or does it just come naturally?

Edit: For what it`s worth Kimsland, I do actually agree with you.

Gillian
I suppose it's better to be thought of as a fool, than open one's mouth and erase all doubt.

Gillian I've actually helped people, not simply involved myself in criticizing the forum, the moderators, and now me personally, "*****" that was directed at me was it not.

All you've done so far in this forum is tell us how much you know, how little we know, and how self involved we all are. Oh, I almost forgot venting your superiority complex on the rest of us.A rose by any other name is still a rose, and so is a troll.

I suppose it's better to be thought of as a fool, than open one's mouth and erase all doubt.
QFT

gillianbrown; Calling other members *****s etc is no way to get people to respect you more, which is pretty much what this thread is all about.

Consider this a warning, I wont edit any of your posts nor ban you, but you are threading a very very thin line there!

I believe the abusive posts should be removed (or edited)
I also feel the TOS should be updated to state No Abuse what so ever

This is not my calling, but leaving posts like this here in some ways actually allow this on TS, in some circumstances.
I'm sure captaincranky would want the post removed as well. Actually I believe many of the no-relevant posts should be removed, and thread closed.

Just my thoughts

Edit: I now see you found it necessary to double post rather than edit your post. Not a very good example from a so called established member.

I am going to say one thing:

I prefer when people double post in that situation. I don't want someone to make one LONG post starting with a simple thought, THEN going onto the exact responses.

I believe the abusive posts should be removed (or edited)
I also feel the TOS should be updated to state No Abuse what so ever

This is not my calling, but leaving posts like this here in some ways actually allow this on TS, in some circumstances.
I'm sure captaincranky would want the post removed as well. Actually I believe many of the no-relevant posts should be removed, and thread closed.

Just my thoughts

If it would be possible, I'd really be honored if we could leave at least this partial one in.
Dis be whut we dun be needin', y'all a bees tellin' us whut 2 thimk n ho 2 operize dis hear fo-rum! I bee's thinkin' that sum 1 wit olny 13 posts ought to wait a bit a 'n ak-shoe-lee do sum wurk a-4 dey be shootin' off de dey mouth. U cud give us'n all de impression thet y'all is a jus 1 of dem thar trolls.
If I had it to do all over again, I'd spell "impression", im-prek-shun. I think any abuse here is more than offset by the humor. Plus it is illustrative of some of the problems that began the thread in the first place, and rightly so.

QFT

gillianbrown; Calling other members *****s etc is no way to get people to respect you more, which is pretty much what this thread is all about.

Consider this a warning, I wont edit any of your posts nor ban you, but you are threading a very very thin line there!

I`m sorry Per, but in all honesty I was only stating what is plain for all to see. Not all by any means, but some of your members seem to think it`s perfectly ok to post utter garbage and in that respect I do think they are *****s.

The bottom line is as I first stated in my first post in this thread.

TS is supposed to be all about helping folks with computer problems, not castigating them for making grammatical errors.

If this is the norm here and the site is run by a company of jobsworth`s, then maybe I was mistaken in my belief that this is indeed one of the premier tech sites in the world.

In which case I apologise for the inconvenience I have caused and I will go elsewhere where normal people aren`t bullied or ridiculed for what are after all normal human mistakes.

Gillian

Well I Never.....!

In which case I apologise for the inconvenience I have caused and I will go elsewhere where normal people aren`t bullied or ridiculed for what are after all normal human mistakes. Gillian
The reason that taking your ball and going home is a pointless and ineffective threat, is simply because we never got to see or play with it in the first place.

If you think I issued any kind of threat in my last post, you`re obviously much more stupid than I first thought you were.

Gillian

gillianbrown; kimsland is very right in his post, the warnings where passed and you choose to ignore them
You get a temporary ban for 7 days

Witty Quotations

This thread is both instructive but also a rich source of intellectual amusement, containing many witty (or sometimes "counter-witty") comments. So I have gathered some of the quotations I particularly liked. For simplicity, I omit the originators, they know who they are. I also omit my contributions.

And before anybody understands things his/her way and rushes to report the post, I stress that it is intended for amusement. I have also marked cases to avoid as “Not collectable”. After all, mods should spend their time correcting bad English, not chasing after false alarms (not collectable). :D

• If you demand help, pay for it, don't go demanding it where it’s done for free.

• If you are the one with the problem, don’t tell experts what to do.

• Using usernames like “Im-new” (or similar) doesn't sound like you'll be around for long.

• Asking how to post or reply to a post is a contradiction in itself.

• It can be a bit presumptive to assume that others care what you think.

• Being a newbie with 14 posts is not sufficient qualification for deciding how the board should be run, and telling mods and old members what to do.

• Whether the English language has deteriorated is a job for linguists and educationalists, not for a tech forum and some folks who are too far up their own backsides. (Not collectable)

• Too many things are politically correct and oversensitive these days, you can't even ask people to type properly.

• Some Personnel Directors believe that if you're not competent to handle reading and writing English, then you're not competent to be allowed access to a multi-million dollar computer installation.

• Should you need to speak or write something, you might as well take some pride and enjoyment away from the experience.

• Postings with doggerel, gangsta' speak, text message speak, and run of the mill incoherence may be saved and used against you.

• It seems the youth of today are busy texting some b***s*** variant of English from English class.

• So remember boys and girls, when you're working out all those clever little abbreviations and misspellings, I don't really give a f*** what happens to "u" or "ur" damned computer.

• Describing a problem isn’t an instant message conversation with your buddy.

• Posting "my friend's PC" is not actually a computer spec.

• Some thread titles are so far fetched to create, sometimes they seem to be done intentionally.

• “Need Some Effin Help!!!!” isn’t a helpful topic title.

• "Throbbing crawdad" would also be a bad message title.

• " i hav proc run @ 100% pls hlp" is not immediately understandable body text.

• Capital letters aren’t always necessary. “LiKe tHis oR iD Be anGrY L0L!”

• There is no "noise in Illinois".

• Damn the red underlines, full speed ahead. (Not collectable)

• If you're going to use acronyms, at least get them right.

• When you say “your crazy”, you should specify “his crazy what”.

• If mods can’t be bothered, or find it a chore, to correct members’ bad English, then they have no business in being a mod at all. (Not collectable)

• Helping people can consist in helping them realize that they are *****s. (Not collectable)

• An ***** can turn out to be much more stupid than one first thought he was. (Not collectible)

• It's better to be thought of as a fool, than open one's mouth and erase all doubt.

• A rose by any other name is still a rose, and so is a troll.

• Taking your ball and going home is a pointless and ineffective threat, unless people got to see or play with it in the first place.

• Despite the general guideline against successive posts, in cases of long posts it can be better to separate different subjects.

• Warnings about misbehaving are only effective for people who know what misbehaving is, in which case they wouldn’t misbehave in the first place. Those who don’t know, will carry on, since they can’t tell the difference. (OK, this is mine)

• Dis be whut we dun be needin', y'all a bees tellin' us whut 2 thimk n ho 2 operize dis hear fo-rum! I bee's thinkin' that sum 1 wit olny 13 posts ought to wait a bit a 'n ak-shoe-lee do sum wurk a-4 dey be shootin' off de dey mouth. U cud give us'n all de impression thet y'all is a jus 1 of dem thar trolls.
(My personal favourite)

I liked this one the best:

This thread is both instructive but also a rich source of intellectual amusement

Best one liner I've ever heard :haha:

I have decreased gillian's temporary ban to 5 days so things can settle down. Also issued a warning where I deemed appropriate. This could have been handled more appropriately, but that said, personal flaming or even worse insulting other members won't get you anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back