Conexant Smarthcf P95 Data/fax

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpoTTinG

Hey people im having problems with my modem....
I can browse the internet alright but the moment i start downloading, it seems to be around 550kb it just disconnects. Ive gone through the modem setup and harddrive tweaking that on this site but i just cant fix it.
I run WinXP and have updated the driver to the latest generic conexant driver.
Ive also tried net optimizer and other apps. I fixed the problem once before by formatting the harddrive, and another time when i set my primary and secondaryIDE channel to DMA mode but now im running out of ways to fix it.

Edit- also my connection speed has gone from a consistant 49.2 down to 46.6-45.2
I dont know if this matters either but when downloading the speed used to be 5.5-6kb/s but now it starts at 5 and slowly drops to 2-2.1 then .5--.9 then it disconnects

Heres the info from listmodemapp-

MODEM #1:
PCI CONFIGURATION INFORMATION READ:
VENDOR ID : 14F1
DEVICE ID : 1053
SUBVENDOR ID : 144F
SUBDEVICE ID : 1047
REVISION ID : 08

DEDUCED INFORMATION:
VENDOR NAME : CONEXANT
DEVICE NAME : SMARTHCF P95 DATA/FAX
SUBVENDOR NAME : ASKEY
MODEM TYPE : HCF
WINXP INBUILD SUPPORT : YES

this is all the info my isp could give me :( so could it be a modem hardware problem?

1. Click onto Start, then Connect To and then Show All Connections.

2. Double click on the Xtra icon, this should take you to the "Connect to Xtra" window, then click on the Properties button.

3. Click on the Network tab.

4. At the top the “Type of dialup server” should be set to “PPP: Windows 95/98 NT4/ 2000, Internet…”

5. Click on the Settings button.

6. “Enable LCP extensions” should be unticked.

7. “Enable software compression” should be ticked.

8. “Negotiate multi-link for single link connections” should be unticked.

9. Click on OK.

10. Under the heading “This connection uses the following items” you should have a tick in “Internet Protocol TCP/IP”

11. “QoS packet scheduler” should also be ticked.

12. Any other services, protocols and adapters are not required specifically for dialup Xtra Internet use, however they may be required for extra functionality such as a network. There is a possibility that these could cause conflicts when trying to use Xtra, however Xtra is unable to provide any specific assistance – please seek help from your computer support provider.

13. Highlight Internet protocol TCP/IP.

14. Click on the Properties button.

15. “Obtain an IP Address Automatically" should be selected.

16. The next option should be left on "Obtain DNS server address automatically"

17. Click on the Advanced button

18. By default you should be on the General tab.

19. “Use default gateway on remote” network should be ticked.

20. Under the heading PPP link the “Use IP header compression” should be ticked.

21. Click on the DNS tab

22. Only “Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes” and “Append parent suffixes on the primary DNS suffix” should be ticked.

23. Click on the WINS tab.

24. “Enable LMHOSTS lookup” must be ticked.

25. “Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP” should be selected.

26. Click on “OK” then “OK” again. Close the dialer properties by clicking on OK.

Here are a few small (free) utilities you can download (or ask a friend) to test the connection:
NetStatLive from http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/nsl.htm to test the connection.

Internet Maniac combines various (otherwise DOS-started) programs like Ping, Traceroute, Finger, Whois etc.
www.sumitbirla.com/network-spy/maniac.php

Maybe they give you some more info.

You can also go to http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks to have your connection tested online (it says for broadband-testing, but works also on a modem)

these tools dont really tell me much that i didnt already know :( so i finally took the case cover off to take out the modem and couldnt cause there was a bit of melted plastic on the modem and pci slot?
is that there to stop it coming out or should it not be there?

Are there any other cards that are "protected" the same way?
Otherwise look if there are some parts that may have melted away from your modem (modem fried?).
The blob may be there to prevent it from falling out or for tamper-proofing (warranty).

What did DSLREPORTS say?

all my seetings were fine off dsl reports...ive just formatted all my harddrives and its still happening.......is there any way it could be because of a video card conflict?
After formatting it dosnt recognize my radeon vid card card and when i install the drivers for it and get the graphics card going, my modem isnt usable, when i goto device manager its there with no conflict probs but when i goto setup new connection the connect using a dialup modem is grayed out?

You may have a duff modem. Try and borrow an external one from a friend to see if that goes any better.
I have a few lying around here that I could sell you cheap (all with 230V AC-adapters)

yeh well i think ill just get a new modem (wish i could afford dsl...) and see how that goes, or fry my pc and claim insurance lol

btw i was playing around in the bios a little bit also is there anything in there that could have affected any of this?

Your modem is using a serial or COM port. Check the modem in Device manager on which port under properties. Check that COM-port under Device Manager/Ports and under properties make sure it is set to 115.000kb.
Now check the modem-properties, and make sure they are also set to 115.000.

In the BIOS are also COM-ports (only to enable/disable).
If your modem uses 1 or 3 you could disable COM2.
If your modem uses 2 or 4 you could disable COM1.

PS: I just remember something, isn't there a utility with this modem setup to select your country so you get the proper settings? Did you do that after the re-install?

I have just rebuilt another PC but the modem is not recognised.
Can you tell me how to download a modem driver for a Conexant SmartHCF P9573-11 modem without affecting this PC?

Tried using another computer but nearly all the websites wanted to check the computer that I was on and overwrite the Modem Driver.

Use Internet Explorer or Avant, then when you find the file on a website, rightclick it, then select "Save target as" and save it to your Download directory or your desktop.
Then double-click it to install the driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back