Microsoft to step up XP SP2 downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

Microsoft is expected to make moves to speed up SP2 downloads, to try and make the targets that were self-imposed on the computing giant when it launched the update. The company has currently distributed what it believes to be 20% of its target SP2 installations, one month after launch. The company will be increasing the rate at which automatic update notifications go out.

XP SP2 blarrrr

Every one I know that's installed SP2 has had major Problems I had loads of Problem with SP! so thought I'll wait for SP2 Now I'll wait for SP3 and see if they can get it right that time :bounce:

My hard drive crashed on me about two weeks so I decided to create a new image and after installing XP Pro I updatd to SP2 right away. I have not had any issues with SP2 and I know a few of my coworkers have installed it on excisting XP installions and have not had major issues.

We've had extensive discussion in a few threads about XP SP2, and I think the general consensus is that it is worth upgrading to, but you are best off either slipstreaming it into an XP install, or installing SP2 on a relatively fresh XP install. Basically the sooner in XP's life it gets SP2 the better off you are.

I know of 5 SP2 installs personally, plus another half dozen or so anecdotally which have a problem afterwards. That is the mouse creeping around the screen on it's own after SP2 is installed. Makes no difference if OEM or retail package of XP, if it is an old install, or clean on a brand new drive. Just damn annoying!

I have no problems with SP2. You might need to reinstall some third party IE add-ons and so forth, but that's about it.

In fact, I think things are running better now. I certainly had an annoying problem with an error message on logoff that has now gone since SP2 install.

I can't remember the last time installing a service pack gave me problems, at least since the days of 2000. NT was the last time service packs gave me trouble that I recall.

Over two thirds of the service pack is bug fixes and updates. I did have some minor troubles. but I managed to fix them all. All the improvements I noticed made it a worthwhile upgrade, and the security enhancements were the icing on the cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back