Upgrading to barton on a budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

conradguerrero

hello all! i just had to announce that i have finally bought some hardware from newegg.com to upgrade my pc. i tried to balance performance and cost so no 3 GB of Ram ... yet

okay i know u all are dying to know what i bought here it is:

MAXTOP Case
its got 5 fan slots: 2 rear, 1 front, 1 top and 1 side fan. also cheap!
$28.00

ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Retail
this is the only high end part i bought, mobos are the most important part of a pc imo.
$124.99

AMD ATHLON XP 2500+ "Barton" 333 FSB PROCESSOR CPU- RETAIL
To me this is an excellent deal for a 640KB cached chip for
$90.00 (arrhhh they raised the price by 3 dollars! thats like half a frozen pizza!)

Samsung 160GB 7200RPM Hard Drive Model# SP1614N - OEM, DRIVE ONLY
i really had to think out this one, i knew the western digital special edition hard drive was very popular; however this samsung is exactly the same as the aforementioned hard drive (warranty, cache, spin speed, seek time) EXCEPT for the ATA133 which the western digital only went to ATA100 ... also much cheaper than western digital's hdd.
$139.00

GEIL 256MB PC-3200 (400MHz) DDR RAM, 6 Layer Ultra Low Noise Shielded PCB
here i was really stuck, i knew i wanted at least 512 MB of ram but also wanted to run them in dual channel. since i was on a budget i had to look on the cheaper side while trying to not limit future upgrades, thus two sticks of pc3200 ram. here are the latency settings i have no idea what they mean: CAS 2.5 6-3-3 2T
2 x $45.00

total w/ shipping is: $521.99
damn fedex dont wanna drive through the 'ocean' to deliver my package in Hawaii, gotta take a 'plane' to Hawaii.

Originally posted by conradguerrero
damn fedex dont wanna drive through the 'ocean' to deliver my package in Hawaii, gotta take a 'plane' to Hawaii.

Haha, that's funny.

You may good choices on your parts. I would have gotten a "better" brand name of RAM or a more "higher quality" RAM. I'd give that stick a good change of being defective.

well the memory better not be bad or im gonna have a problem with MR GEIL. lol

btw how 'big' of a power supply should i get, with all the above plus 5 small case fans 8cm, an agp 2.0 video card, a 52x24x52x cd rw, and a floppy?

Originally posted by conradguerrero
well the memory better not be bad or im gonna have a problem with MR GEIL. lol

Lol dude, you're cracking me up. :haha: :giddy: Anyways....

Since people don't usually upgrade more than once or probably twice at maximum (might I add usually) because they would pretty much have to replace the mobo and all of the parts and it's just like buying new computer parts to put in your old case. The only thing old about it would be the case.

I would spend a good deal of money on a PSU. Enermax is a great brand name. I suggest a good 460W that will do the trick. I use this exact one right now to power 8 fans (all LED, super bright), 1 is 120MM and another is 92MM, and the rest are 80MM. They run super fast. On top of that, I've got a Radeon 9700 Pro, a bunch of lighting and stuff. I'd suggest that one to you.

i just finished building my new comp holy crap it wasnt easy for me.... the damn GeIL Ram freezes when i try to set them in dual channel (damnit u were right wicka) and i HAD to buy a newer graphics card (radeon 9600 128mb) AND HAD to buy a new psu (450watt dedicated circuits)

but i must say it was worth all the scrapes (one is infected :dead: ) and the :confused: .

oh and my old hard drive didnt like being the master which i dont understand at all THAT took me awhile to figure out (thought it was the psu)

LOL

oh yeah if i bought a 9600 radeon would it show up in the system proporties as a pro card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back