Switching hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweeds1

i lost my other post so what im doing is i get another computer in a week thats running a 80gig hard drive with xp pro and i want to put this hard drive 160gig xp and i have nero and norton ghost but what do i need just to switch hard drives.i was thinking just a copy of xp pro but im not sure pls help.....ok i just talked to a bestbuy geeksqaud person and they said all i need to do is switch drives and it should reconize it,is this true?

BIOS will recognize the HD however most likely it will not boot since the 160GB had XP installed/drivers installed on a different computer. You can't clone hard drives that have your OS installed and use it on different computers. They only work with identical computers. What you can do it is when your new computer comes home, put the 80GB into the computer (format it) containing your 160GB HD. Transfer all your data from the 160 to the 80. Now install the 160 into you new computer and re-install windows your OS.

where can i get info on how excatly how to do that.and are u saying i need to download a copy of xp or xp pro?

where can i get info on how excatly how to do that
To do what, remove the hard drives?
Remove the case of each computer and you'll see the hard drives. Simply use the a screw driver to remove the drive.

.and are u saying i need to download a copy of xp or xp pro?
One of the computer should have a sticker with the XP product key. How was XP installed on the drives to begin with? If you want to use the 160GB as your primary drive on the new computer, you'll need to re-install XP. If you have the key, you'll need to someone obtain a XP disc otherwise you'll have to go out and buy one.

i have a xp cd thats one of my old recovery disk that are messed up but the xp is ok.this what im askin bascily do i put my 160 in thenew computer and boot up with my xp?instead of havin to format the other one

I assume you want the your data (pictures/files/music etc etc etc) off the 160GB. Then after that is complete then put the 160 in to the new computer (remove the 80) and boot from the XP disc and do a fresh install.

ok after what is done formating/i really hate to get into to formating just want a simlpe way to do itim really sry about bein confusinge i need a how to switch hard drives for dummies book.

OK, i'm trying to have you backup your data on the 160GB (pictures/music/ etc) elsewhere first before we format your 160 drive. Formatting will erase everything that was on the 160GB hard drive. After you'll complete backing up your files, remove the 80 from the new system and replace it with the 160GB. Insert the XP disc into your CD-ROM and it'll automatically boot. I can't remember what the screen looks like once the disc boots but has something like " install XP over an existing version' or 'Install XP' Your going to want to install XP alone, not over any existing data. Next i'll ask to you select the drive (which is the 160GB) and then it make you format it (chose quick format for faster time). After that, the disc will begin installing XP. Make sure you have all the driver disc for your new computer.

Is this a brand new computer? I might come with its own restore disc which you want to use because it contains all the drivers you'll need.

its used so no cd's but how do i formay i have never done that but im getting alot of what you say.oh why do i need tto put the 80 gig in this computer with 160 gig?

why do i need tto put the 80 gig in this computer with 160 gig?

So you can transfer your data from the 160 to the 80. That's if your only planning to back up your data.

its used so no cd's but how do i formay i have never done that but im getting alot of what you say.

Insert your XP disc and turn on your computer. Follow the prompt and instructions stated in the earlier post. The install disc is very strait forward.

so u mean so i can put the 80 gig in this computer?reasont for transfering the data and if so when i put the 80 in here how do i format or transfer?see i use to use restore cd;s to erase the hard drive and i dont have them so i dont know how to .i just want to do what ever is the fastest i dont care about saving anything

ok all i need to know is how do i transfer my 160gig hard drive data to the second 80gig hard drive any help on the would be really appreated

Do you require physical instructions on replacing the HardDive?
Or are you after instructions on removing any partition (not format exactly) then to install Windows?

Also it helps if you state what computer model you have, becauses places like Dell or Hp support have very indeth instructions on specific computers, and how to change hardware and alike

lol um...well see i know how to remove the hard drive and put it where it goes but ya the partion part im confused and formating .is that the same?i just dont know what to do.someone told me to take out the 80 gig drive from the new computer and put it in my computer here with the 160gig and format the 80 gig then transfer the data to the 60 gig then put this 160gig in the new computer and boot up with windows cdand i had a bestbuy geek guy tell me to just put the hard drive in the computer and it should work lol aahhhhh im soo sry about this lol.oh dang im lost lol this is the switching hard drives subject ok you know my prob then besides bein a dum@ss.

Well I enjoy trying to be very clear (bar a few spelling mistakes at times!)

So here is the answer

Install the drive that you want to use in the computer (note: this may be both drives, first one plugged into IDE0 and the other one plugged into IDE1, on the motherboard)

Boot from the Windows CD
Allow all the initial Windows drivers to load
Reading the prompts on the screen you will see information on currently installed Partitions. At this stage (again following the screen prompts) remove the Partition(s) )

Continue setting up Windows (ie you do not need to manually create a new partition)

When Windows is finally installed, you need to locate all your Manufacture drivers (actually you could do this first, and save all the drivers to a CD)

That's about it, nothing else to say (except make sure to do all Windows security updates, and get an Antivirus, like Avira free Antivirus)

ok first your speelin is great lol and i really am thankfull for you putting up with me.ok so now you say for me to put both drives into the new computer and boot windows? no erasing or anything and thats it and both drives will work in both computers if so thats sounds easy just makin sure i know whats ideo and ide1.

Hang-on two computers? (oh yeah "swap HardDrives")

Anyway, just put the Hardrive into the computer that you want that Harddrive in

I mentioned IDE0:

IDE0 is the port on the computer Motherboard where ATA HardDrives plug into (similar to this pic: http://www.hardware-one.com/reviews/ga-7dx/ideconnectors-big1.jpg )

Your drives connectors may be Sata (similar to this picture: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASRock/939SLI32-eSATA2/images/sata.jpg )

At this stage I don't know :confused:

But the real point of all this, is just plug in the required drive.

Regarding removing the partition, Yes this is preferred over format

Don't forget to get all your drivers (from your Manufacture's support page) ideally burnt to CD. Obviously you will need the Windows product key (like in these pics: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?pg=coa&displaylang=en )

ok thanks alot the first pic is how mine hookes up the black and blue kinda long oops but i didnt check the other computer what if its different do i have to by a new hard drive cus this one isnt that old.o and i have no cds for drivers i can just up date everything besides i downloaded this torrent thats has 25,000 drivers on it for tons of things for different computers.

thanks all for your help
i got my new computer today and well i couldnt change hard drives because the hookups were different but its all good because it has the build in recovery which i did so its like new now specially with the extra 2 gigs i put in it and as far as my 160 gig drive i can just keep it in my other computer so all is good and thank you again for your help :) by the way do you know a site or something where i can get my computer specs?ty.

Please put your System Specs information in your Profile

Because it had its own image disc, this tells me it may be a manufacture computer (like HP or Dell or Asus or someting?) Do you know the manufacture and model number? Because that's all that I'd need to find all info.

Also glad it's all resolved :grinthumb

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 10/1/2008, 20:06:01
Machine name: HP26540345719
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp.051011-1528)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP Compaq dc5700 Microtower
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) D CPU 3.06GHz
Memory: 2552MB RAM
Page File: 330MB used, 2820MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) Q965/Q963 Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) GMA 3000
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2992&SUBSYS_2808103C&REV_02
Display Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Mode: 1152 x 864 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Default Monitor
Monitor Max Res:
Driver Name: igxprd32.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.4642 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 7/21/2006 09:11:46, 48128 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: igxpmp32.sys
Mini VDD Date: 7/21/2006 09:12:16, 1095968 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-6AD2-11CF-AE61-0208A3C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x8086
Device ID: 0x2992
SubSys ID: 0x2808103C
Revision ID: 0x0002
Revision ID: 0x0002
Video Accel:
Deinterlace Caps: n/a
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Not Available
DDraw Test Result: Not run
D3D7 Test Result: Not run
D3D8 Test Result: Not run
D3D9 Test Result: Not run

Now you do realize that the other thread (not that I'm saying go back and post there, except to say thanks) has a Big black START DETECTION button, which will give you everything (all information) about your computer ?

Drivers
Manual
Warranty info
Lots of pics, internally and externally
You name it !!

I think that would be best, also I really want to emphasize updating all your drivers there, seeming that's the ONLY place they are current

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back