Startup List

Status
Not open for further replies.

nondaj

Trying again to send my startup list that I get when I do a run/msconfig/start tab. The list seems very very long. It takes my PC a full 3minutes and 15 seconds to boot up. Would like to shorten that time.

Here is my PC configuration:

Am running XP SP1
Processor GenuineIntel 2.53 Gigahertz
Physical Memory - 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory - 313.36 MB
Graphics card - Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440
Sound Card - SB AUDigy Audio
IE Browser
DX 9.0 showing no problems
File System - Fat32
Monitor Mode - 800x600 pixels, 32 bit highest

And here is that long list of programs: (last time I tried to send my browser would not go):

Microtech Scanner - scanner
Microsoft Office - word processor
Adobe Reader - Adobe program
MSNMsgr - IM manager
gcasServ - Sypware
dumprep O -u - could not find file when I did a search
ApvxdWin - Panda virus prog.
Inicio - Panda Prog.
Run.dll32 - system prog.
NWiz - scanner
Nucpl - dll
Hpwuschd2 - printer
Rxmon - Roxio
EngUtil - Roxio
phomon5 - printer
hpcmpmgr - printer
hphupd05 - printer
Hpztsbo9 - win. system file driver
ADGJDET - creative sound audigy file
UpD Reg - Win. reg file
CT Helper - Win. File

Thanks for any help from anyone :bounce:

re. startup list

try going to that site, it has a list of .exe's that windows starts up and it has information about each one and weather or not to keep them running or not.
i have found it use full and i now have hardly any items on the startup

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/sistray/

alternativly you can just type the name of one of those .exe's into google or what ever, and it should come back with sites that have information about it.

Also to increase your speed, try getting registry clean up programs (eg. "tweak now reg cleaner" or tweak xp pro 4 has a reg cleaner as well),
however when using these programs make sure you know the key you are deleteing is safe to delete.

have funn!

Thank you very much HughJ for your ideas - have tagged the sites you gave to study - very helpful and will consider a registry cleaner. Most of them, however, need an opertor that can tell whether an item can be SAFELY deleted - not sure I am that experienced as yet. But helpful to know about registry cleaners.

nondaj said:
Microtech Scanner - scanner
Microsoft Office - word processor
Adobe Reader - Adobe program
MSNMsgr - IM manager
gcasServ - Sypware
dumprep O -u - could not find file when I did a search
ApvxdWin - Panda virus prog.
Inicio - Panda Prog.
Run.dll32 - system prog.
NWiz - scanner
Nucpl - dll
Hpwuschd2 - printer
Rxmon - Roxio
EngUtil - Roxio
phomon5 - printer
hpcmpmgr - printer
hphupd05 - printer
Hpztsbo9 - win. system file driver
ADGJDET - creative sound audigy file
UpD Reg - Win. reg file
CT Helper - Win. File

Thanks for any help from anyone :bounce:
A lot of the items there you could stop from starting. I personally have only the items I use on a regular basis start. Like my virus scanner, firewall and Spyware Guard. I've only got six items starting, most relating to Mcafee virus scanner.

You could shut down the word processor, Adobe, dumprep, NWiz, Roxio, ADGJDET and CT Helper for sure. You could think about your scanner and printer, if you don't use them much. A couple of the others probably, not sure without doing a little more research. For sure leave your Virus Scan on.

You could also try and run Microsoft Bootvis, it can be utilized to improve your startup time quite a bit. In additon, you might be able to see what is slowing your boot times down.

registary cleaners are a werid thing, if u really want to no which ones to delete and which ones to keep really need some one to tel you, it is much like spybot.

I kind of go along with you guys on the registry cleaner. I've came mighty close to trying one a few times, but always backed off. I really just don't know enough about the registry to do anything, besides a few tweaks, and I get good information before doing even that, even so, I've screwed up a few times.

I really don't think this a registry problem, but I will defer to your guys better knowledge.

Running Boot-Vis at startup should give you a log, that might tell you what is taking so long to load up. It will only make a log of what's going on, and then you can let it optimize, if you so choose. If you do optimize, it's not going to solve a two or three minute startup delay totally, but might help some. The main thing I want to relay here, is the startup log. I've used a lot of times for this very purpose.

As far Ad-aware, and closely related Spybot, I run these programs with complete confidence. I've used them for a long time, and have never once had a problem with just letting them do there thing. Maybe others have had problems, but I for one, trust them completely.

startup problems

Gee, I sure do appreciate all the feedback re my startup problem; all the suggestions re registery cleaner, spybot etc. This is so helpful and will give me guidance to try differing things to resolve this issue. Thanks again and will be working now with this information to see what I can accomplish.

startup problem

Tried running a Boot-Vis on Run and on search but came up empty handed. Is my PC in deep trouble? On the Run feature said it could not find it and on search feature - came up with nothing. Am I in a fix?

nondaj said:
Tried running a Boot-Vis on Run and on search but came up empty handed................On the Run feature said it could not find it and on search feature......
I think we have a misunderstanding. Boot vis is the program that I linked above. You need to download it, and then do the trace and drivers test. It will reboot your computer, and then you have to be very, very patient on restart. It will take a while and you'll think nothings happening, just wait. It will show you a chart of what's going on at boot time. This is not going to totally solve your problem, but might shave a few seconds off. I have't run it in a while, so after doing the intial trace, I set it to optimize, and let in reboot again, it also takes a long time, and it took 6 seconds of my startup time. Not a lot, but I want the shortest time I can get. With a lttle work, i could probably get another four or five seconds off.

When you look at the chart, you can hold your cursor over each module, and it will tell you what it is. Double click on it for more info. When you check each module, you can then do a Google, if you don't know what it is, and find it. Most of this, you can't do much about. But I find that my virus scanner and firewall are amongst the slowest thing to start, but I have to have them. When I got to looking, one of the things I found that really slowed things down, was my nic searching for my internet service. I manually entered the address, and now no more search. This was the single biggest slowdown I had on bootup.

Anyway to sum this up, Boot-vis is not the solve all, but might help a little if you choose to use the optimize feature, but it's not the answer to the big problem. From what I can tell from this converstation, the best thing to do, would be to eliminate some of the things in your startup configuration, and then post back if it helped any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back