Radified Partitioning Strategies....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

I just finished reading this great article on partitioning strategies here: http://partition.radified.com/

I recommend that everyone read it, it had a really good number of points, tricks and tips and makes some fairly good recommendations as to a sensible partitioning structure.

This guide shares insights on the topic of hard drive partitioning: strategies gleaned from plenty of practical experience. The dual-premise behind this guide is that:

With hard drive capacities growing so large, intelligent partitioning becomes more of an issue.
It's better to partition intelligently the first time, than have to go back and repartition later.
When discussing hard drive partitions, it helps to have a graphical representation in mind. The image located at the top of this page comes from the program Partition Magic. There you see three (FAT32) partitions represented in a single 45GB hard drive: 1 Primary partition (labeled D drive), and 2 Logical DOS drives (labeled I & J) in a single Extended partition (light-blue outline). The yellow areas contain data; white areas are empty.

You can verify this for yourself by partitioning your drive as I described. But a much quicker method would be by using the hard drive benchmarking utility HD Tach, which contains a setting called Advanced Size Check (ASC). If you put a checkmark in the ASC box, HD Tach will benchmark your *entire* drive. But .. if you remove the check, HD Tach will *truncate* the test at the first 8GB.

In other words, HD Tach will only benchmark the first 8 gigs. Notice how your *reported* access times are improved (lower) when HD Tach truncates the test at the first 8 gigs. This is cuz the read/write heads don't have travel all the way to the far end of the drive (inner tracks).

A drive with a larger capacity will notice a more dramatic 'truncating' effect. For example, 8 gigs is roughly 40% of a 20-gig drive. But it's only 10% of a 80-gig drive. In other words, you can limit your drive's travel (seeks) to the fastest 10% of a 80-gig drive by creating an 8-gig partition and storing only your operating system & applications there. It's common knowledge that a drive with the same amount of data will 'feel' more responsive on a *larger* drive than a smaller one .. even tho both drives may have *identical* manufacturer's performance specs.

This is cuz the data on the larger drive will be limited to a smaller area. This is also one of the reasons why larger drives feel faster, even tho they have the exact same manufacturer specs as the smaller one. It's cuz the larger drive has a lower effective seek time.

A drive with multiple partitions allows you to defrag only those partitions that actually need defragging. This saves wear and tear on your drive, and may even help keep it from failing prematurely.

It can take literally hours to defrag 60GB worth of fragmented data, not to mention 120 or 160 gigs. This means you have to plan your defrags much more carefully than you do with a drive containing smaller, multiple partitions. A small partition can be defragged in the time it takes to grab a cup of coffee, or take a .. uh, I mean, go to the bathroom. =)

source: http://partition.radified.com/

Nice, but they should be customized to one's HDD space. They were talking about 80-120gB drives, while I only have a 10 and a 20gB.

Originally posted by Vehementi
Nice, but they should be customized to one's HDD space. They were talking about 80-120gB drives, while I only have a 10 and a 20gB.
Then you won't see as dramatic of an increase in performance with 'perfect' partitioning. So its not as vital to do on 'smaller' drives.

I already have a pretty good partioning strategy right now, just curious as to why they didn't incorporate tips for both large and small drives :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Vehementi
I already have a pretty good partioning strategy right now, just curious as to why they didn't incorporate tips for both large and small drives :rolleyes:
ORIGINALLY POSTED BY SNGX1275
you won't see as dramatic of an increase in performance with 'perfect' partitioning. So its not as vital to do on 'smaller' drives.

more hard drive space and more hard drives requires a more logical and sensible partitioning scheme. the quoted article gives some useful tips, but anyone with any questions should post them here....

Do I have a Radified partitioning strategy?

Just got through with reading the guide for the 2nd time...

Here's mine:
first 10GB: Unformatted, soon for Linux. (/boot, swap, /usr, /var...)
next 8GB: C: Windows boot drive, related utilities (FAT32)
next 2GB: D: swap (Windows - FAT32)
next 20GB: E: MP3's and misc junk(FAT32)
next 20GB: F: Windows games (FAT32)
next 30GB: More room for Linux (/home)
last 30GB: Unformatted, room to grow :cool:

Well, what do you think? :D

I am making this "Sticky" because partitioning schemes seem to be asked about quite a bit and I think it will help a lot of people. If I'm wrong, it can always be "unstuck"

i'm flattered.

actually, no one ever asked any good questions and they should feel free to do so. there are lots of possbilities in sensibly partitioning your drives.

I've actually refered to this thread a few times when answering questions about partition schemes, though I always had a hard time trying to find it.
I think everyone should give that a good read, especially those who have single partition 120GB drives and such.

Vehementi said:
first 10GB: Unformatted, soon for Linux. (/boot, swap, /usr, /var...)
next 8GB: C: Windows boot drive, related utilities (FAT32)
next 2GB: D: swap (Windows - FAT32)
next 20GB: E: MP3's and misc junk(FAT32)
next 20GB: F: Windows games (FAT32)

Are you using windows 98, ME? Do you need your linux install to be able to see your windows partitions? Otherwise I would think NTFS is a better filesystem for your those partitions. It's more stable, and MUCH more secure...well as secure as Windows can be anyway.

You may have some problems with older games an apps. If real-mode drivers, and thunking are involved you may want to stick with a FAT32.

Well he posted that over 2 years before your response. So I think that he probably doesn't have that same setup anymore. :)

I think if you are going to run a dual or more boot with OSes that have troubles with NTFS then I think you are insane to make any partition NTFS other than the one that hosts the OS that likes to use it. Why limit yourself to what you can read and write to on your own computer? But anyway thats a new thread in itself.

new to partitioning

ok, i am confused, i am running XP Pro, i have a 2.5g celeron processor, 512m ddr sdram - pc 2700, a WD 40g & WD 80g, the 80g is for media and back up. the 40g has my programs and os and some media. i am wanting to know how to partition without having to redo everything, or is it better to start from sratch. i want to separate the 80 into 1-40 and 2-20 partitions. on the 40 i want 1 at 10g for the os and not sure what i should do for the rest, pagefile, data programs or how much to each one. i want to get my pc to work faster and i thought partitioning would help. i have read MANY threads and forums, but the more i read the more i get confused. Sorry too much info.. i can't process it.

Bipolar

how much is on each drive currently? b/c wut u culd do is put the 40gig on the 80gig, then partition the 40gig, then move the 40 back, then copy the 80gig to the 40, then partition that, then move the stuff back onto the 80

Bipolar_Gargoyl said:
ok, i am confused, i am running XP Pro, i have a 2.5g celeron processor, 512m ddr sdram - pc 2700, a WD 40g & WD 80g, the 80g is for media and back up. the 40g has my programs and os and some media. i am wanting to know how to partition without having to redo everything, or is it better to start from sratch. i want to separate the 80 into 1-40 and 2-20 partitions. on the 40 i want 1 at 10g for the os and not sure what i should do for the rest, pagefile, data programs or how much to each one. i want to get my pc to work faster and i thought partitioning would help. i have read MANY threads and forums, but the more i read the more i get confused. Sorry too much info.. i can't process it.

Bipolar
If I were you, I'd do your 80 like you suggested (just cause you probably have a reason for thinking thats how you wanted it).
As for your 40 gig, I'd do this:
10 Gig Windows
1.5 Gig Swap (put your pagefile here once windows is installed)
10-30 Gig Programs/Games (depending on how many you have)
Rest Other (this is where you store just temporary stuff, or to handle any overflow from other partitions).

I could move data from 40 to 80, but not the other way. i have over 10,000 songs on the 80. I guess my real problem is how do i partition the 80 to 3 partitions, i will just wipe the 40 and start over there, any sugestions about what to set the pagefile at and what to set the OS for sure... don't want to waste space, or have it sitting there if i can use it later. i have never set up partitions before. i saw it in a thread while i was looking for something else.

This is the post-

(Well, I'd be doing something about the HDD, sounds like there may be a problem there. If you are having performance slowdowns and hearing funny noises coming from it, that is a good sign to check it out.

I'm not sure what kinds of diagnostic tools WD offers, if any but you might want to find something that will run a low level scan and repair. First thing you need to do though is check the cables on the HDD, also check the ribbon cable where it connects to the mobo. You might also want to think about defragging less. Partition your HDD so that you can reduce the area that becomes fragmented. Something like this
C: OS and Apps
D: Pagefile
E: Games
F: Music/Movies
G: Data
Or something similar. This will keep the partitions that don't change often from becoming fragmented as often and if you set the pagefile to the size of the partition, it will never become fragged.

i'm just a beginner, trying to improve what i have... can't afford to up-grade, and don't feel i need to except to have more ram.

Thanks for the help.

I'll reinstall windows when i figure out what to set the partitions at. seems to be the best way, at least for the 40g

Bipolar

So are you asking how to partition the 80 without starting from scratch? For that you'll need a program like Partition Magic. But I wouldn't recommend doing any partition creating/resizing with that unless you have your data backed up in some form.

You can get away with the Windows partition really small, Soul Harvester has a thread on getting XP down to less than 400 megs. But I'd recommend you make it at least 6 gigs, its bad when you run out of space on your C drive. For your swap partition, just make it a few megs bigger (10 or so) than 1.5x your RAM. Then set your pagefile to 1.5x your RAM for both its minium and maximum size, and tell it to be on the swap partition.
I normally keep Programs installed to a different partition than Windows, but if you don't do that you are going to want to make your C partition much larger than 6 gigs if you have very many programs you need installed.

i just got done re-installing OS and i set its part: 5.66g, so i was close..lol But i have a new problem.. of course.. i got my norton to install on my part: for programs, but firefox won't. it says there is a read error. "Error ocurred during installation - Firefox Browser: -215 READ_ONLY" I also downloaded Mozilla, it installed, but won't connect to the internet, says the connection was refused.

Any ideas Please???

And i will check out the program Partition Magic..thanks

:eek: Bipolar

By choice I have the swap file on a different physical disc to the system partition. Partition Magic is a very reliable program. Even so I would echo SNGX and say back up before using it.

IronDuke said:
By choice I have the swap file on a different physical disc to the system partition. Partition Magic is a very reliable program. Even so I would echo SNGX and say back up before using it.
Ah, you are right. I don't know how I typed 2 posts on it and didn't catch that. I do infact on both computers I own that have multiple hard disks, have the swap partition on a drive other than the OS drive. Good Catch IronDuke.

SNGX1275
I must say I was surprised that you didn't do this. I thought it a fairly common practice amongst experienced users.

well, since i can't afford Partition Magic and i was in the process of dumping all the music i don't listen to anymore. i should be able to move the files i have left, off of the 80G. Between my wifes and my kids pcs. I should have enough space. :knock: kind of slow setting in that i could do that, I have us all on a network. Thanks to mebers here that taught me how to network!!!

that said and will be done, how to i repartition the drive? without a program i have to buy. is there a command i can run? or something?

i remember someone saying to put my pagefile on my other drive, then i read i should put it in its own partition on the main one.

:eek: Bipolar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back