ATI Radeon 9250 128 MB and Sony VAIO, problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I am new to techspot. I have a basic Sony Vaio desktop computer and purchased a new Graphic card last summer to run World of Warcraft. This card was the ATI Radeon 9250, 128 MB. It had been working fine until about 2 months ago when my computer refused to start up. Eventually I figured out it was the graphic card and upon removing it was able to start up. Since then I have restored my system to the factory settings. Still, when I attempt to install the actual videocard and turn the CPU on, the fans go nuts but nothing else happens, no start up screen or anything. Is this a problem relating solely to the video card (i.e. is it shot and should I just buy a new one?) Please let me know if you have any suggestions either for fixing this problem, or if this is unrealistic, on purchasing a new entry level videocard that will both work with my current system and run WoW. Thanks all and have a great night! :slurp:

-- Conor

It would help if you posted some system specs, such as processor/memory.

If you're using a VAIO, chances are you have on-board video. This can cause problems with video cards that are PCI based. Just give us some insight onto your specs, and if you do(n't) have on-board video.

i'd expect as much from a vaio. sony, like all OEM makers, use parts of poor quality to maximize thier profits. usually it's the power supply that balks first in VAIOs, and this sounds like a supply problem.

what happens is that the supply is pushed to its limits right when the system is put together, and adding a part that draws extra power can easily overload the supply and cause it to fail even after a few weeks. because of sony's design, you cannot use a standard power supply to replace your existing OEM model.

the next time you buy a computer, do yourself a big favor and have a local PC repair shop or technician build you a standard PC. i hate to see people waste their money on dissastisfying and crappy products.

I have a Sony VAIO PCV-RS720G. That power supply issue hasn't happened to me, and I added my graphics card a week after buying it, and I've had it for almost two years. I remember buying a PCI card and it wouldn't work due to my onboard video, and I couldn't disable it. I, personally, don't believe Sony does what you're stating.

The_Jargon said:
I remember buying a PCI card and it wouldn't work due to my onboard video, and I couldn't disable it. I, personally, don't believe Sony does what you're stating.
you answered yourself before you said it. i work on vaios more than any other computer because they break down the most on customers.

what makes you believe that sony wouldn't do it. they make good TVs and stereos, but when they first got started they made the crappiest ones out there to get started. my assumption is that sony is doing the same thing it did in its early years again, but this time with thier relatively new line of computer products. this is a massive corporation who markets these systems deliberately to people who don't know enough about computers to realize that they're being ripped off. vaios are bought because of the sony name and advertising.

being that i've dealt with these atrocities on a weekly basis for the past few years, i can honestly say that sony vaios are the worst computers of all time. i'd rather use a damn transmeta crusoe than a vaio for christ's sake. not only are the parts of extrodarinily low quality, but they are shoddily put together as well! they even had a sense of humor and bundled these so-called system recovery CDs that do nothing more than flash "CALL SONY TECH SUPPORT 1-800-XXX-XXXX" when used in the one manner they were supposedly intended for. and then once you get the damn things running sony forces all this crappy software and advertising on you, not to mention that they don't make any drivers for thier crappy hardware available to the public. no, that would be too easy, they make you BUY a 7-cd set of recovery cds that don't even wirk in the first place. then they go in for the kill, instructing unwitting customers to send thier machines to a sony repair shop to be fixed, charging way too much and then having the same problem a year later.

sony's computer department makes money by creating problems that only they can fix!

you couldn't even disable the onboard video. even a $30 chinese socket A motherboard made so badly that the standoff holes don't line up lets you turn off the onboard video. sony wants your money, nothing more. the know that the only people who would buy thier product in the first place are the same ones who don't know what a rip-off it all is.

and sony tech support, if you ever have the displeasure of dealing with it, is the worst of all time. i say "it" because theier phone is answered by a computer. a computer that is probably the same peice of $hit you're trying to fix because the so-called voice recognition doesn't recognize squat, especially if you have an accent. then you have to wait over an hour before an actual live operator picks up the phone and directs your call to the killing floor. after another hour wait someone at the other end - it doesn't matter because they always say the same thing - they want you to pay for this conversation and that the system needs to be sent in to a sony repair center. and to top it all off, they actually want your name, address, phone number, and email address!

if sony vaio's werent so bad, then mabye repairing them wouldn't constitute nearly half of my business, far more than any other maker. and if they weren't trying to rip you off, mabye thier prices would actually be able to beat the local guy, who uses name brand quality parts and puts together a custom build by hand taylored to your needs.

you should be thankful that yours lasted as long as it did. sony should have paid you when you picked it up. vaios are friggin a waste of electricity. im tired of fixing them and i hate seeing people wasting thier hard-earned money on such crap.

i rank the sony vaio right below ECS, warm beer, and windows ME

I totally agree with you about Sony VAIO's.
I have the PCV-RS720G and it started making a horrible noise soon after I got it.
At first I thought it was the fan, but then I noticed it seemed to be tied to the processor. Like, when I was running memory intense programs or games it would get louder and louder and sound like it was going to just blow up!
I contacted Sony and they just told me to send it in, which I didn't want to do at that point because I had tons of business/work stuff on it already and I couldn't be without my computer for that long. I admit, I should have sent it in while it was still under warranty, but alas, I didn't...so I'm still stuck with a HORRIBLE shrill sounding computer.
I'm still not completely sure what it is. It is still running and the horrible sound doesn't seem to affect the computer function too much, but it is so irritating! Can you tell me if changing the Case Fan or processor fan would help? I tried to e-mail Sony to find out what kind of fan I should replace it with and they just sent me a link to their website and told me to send the computer in! I've changed fans and Hard Drives and other hardware before, so I don't really want to send it in if that is all it is.
Can you help me with this? Do you know what kind of fan will work in this computer?
I've learned my lesson, I won't buy another Sony, that's for sure!

Did sony take lessons from the early packard bell pc's??? They were nearly as bad. What with their "backup" software that made a useless copy of every file you put on it so that they could charge you for another hard drive. And all the mobo's being soldered instead of jumpered so you had to buy a new mobo to upgrade your processor.

Hallgirl, is it like a high pitched whistle? or more of a whirring sound?

Noisy Sony VAIO

Uhm, you know...it's so hard to describe, but I would say it's more of a high pitched "Whirring" sound.
But it doesn't sound like the whirring sound that you usually hear when a Hard Drive is about to fail...at least it doesn't sound like the last HD that failed on me.
But, I don't really know for sure. I've never had a computer make this kind of noise!
It literally gives me a headache sometimes if I am on it for too long!
(BTW...I was the unfortunante owner of one of those early Packard Bell PC's you speak of!) Man...I need to research a little better before I buy Computer's!

Sony VAIO NOISY!

zephead said:
i'd expect as much from a vaio. sony, like all OEM makers, use parts of poor quality to maximize thier profits. usually it's the power supply that balks first in VAIOs, and this sounds like a supply problem.

what happens is that the supply is pushed to its limits right when the system is put together, and adding a part that draws extra power can easily overload the supply and cause it to fail even after a few weeks. because of sony's design, you cannot use a standard power supply to replace your existing OEM model.

the next time you buy a computer, do yourself a big favor and have a local PC repair shop or technician build you a standard PC. i hate to see people waste their money on dissastisfying and crappy products.
I'm beginning to think that is what is wrong with my Sony VAIO.
At first I thought it was one of the fans, but I noticed that mine got worse when I added a USB Scanner and USB Wacom Tablet and cordless mouse.
Also, if I do anything on the computer that is graphic intense the noise just gets louder and louder and sounds like the computer is just going to blow up!
I tried to get Sony to give me specs on the Power Supply too, but to no avail, they just told me to send it in to them and pay big bucks to fix it.
Anyway...if I open up the case and get the specs on the Power Supply, can you or anyone else on this forum help me figure out what kind of replacement power supply to buy?
I am a newbie to TechSpot, so forgive me if I'm not posting correctly...I am also kind of new to forums, so I'm not sure if I should be asking this question on this thread.
Thank-you all for your expertise and help!

If you have a look at the psu i will do my best to help. I will need to know how many plugs go to the mobo and how many pins there are in each one, if there is just 1 20way plug then just about any psu will do, if there are other plugs then its a little bit more difficult.

It looks like there is 3 plugs that go to the mobo, a 4 pin, a 2 pin & a 20 pin.
Here is the info off of the PSU itself:
Delta Electronics Inc.
Model: DPS-295BBA Rev01
INPUT: 100V-240V~4.7A
OUTPUT:Total 295.4W max
+5V@29A max
+12V@17A max

I may have at least temporarily solved my problem though...when I opened up the case and cleaned it out, I decided to just leave the case off and run it to see about the heat build-up problem.
Lo and behold...it stopped making that loud shrill noise now!
Also, there is WAY less heat coming from the back of the power supply now.
The only time it still makes that noise is when I first boot up the computer and the psu is getting up to speed, then it stops and I never hear it again.
I even tried running a game and doing some graphics stuff, which usually makes the thing SCREAM...and it's quiet as a mouse now.
My son says I should just leave the cover off. Is that okay to do?
My husband said he can put some holes in the sides of the cover for me (with a hole saw) if I want to put the cover back on. Anyway...I don't know if I should still invest in a new PSU or not.
I'm planning on increasing the memory to the maximum (which I think is around 2GB) Will this put too much load on the PSU?
I have alot of periphials plugged in such as a tablet, Storage Drive, USB Hub, WebCam, etch.
Thank-you for all your help!

That confirms what i was beginning to suspect. Im pretty damn sure you have a noisy capacitor in your psu.

It wouldnt cost much to replace the caps in your psu, but it needs someone with some elecrtonics experience to do it.

Replacement of the psu is really the best option, if a capacitor makes a noise then there is something wrong with it. It could last for years or it could go tomorrow.

Okay, then I will look into replacing it, soon!
Do you know if a replacement can be bought without going through Sony?
I've heard some people say that Sony's are proprietary and that I might have to get the part directly from Sony which could be VERY expensive!
If I don't have to get it from them, I'd rather not.
Thanks again for all of your help!

Its undoubtedly possible to covert a standard psu if your husband is willing to do some soldering. If he is willing, i can guide him through the process.
It would help if he has and knows how to use a multimeter.
I have repaired and converted over 50 psu's so i know what I'm doing, just in case you aren't sure.

I have plenty of psu's that i can open up and take pictures of to help to show what to do if needed. I only have a webcam to take the pictures with, but its fairly decent quality.

converting psu

rik said:
Its undoubtedly possible to covert a standard psu if your husband is willing to do some soldering. If he is willing, i can guide him through the process.
It would help if he has and knows how to use a multimeter.
I have repaired and converted over 50 psu's so i know what I'm doing, just in case you aren't sure.

I have plenty of psu's that i can open up and take pictures of to help to show what to do if needed. I only have a webcam to take the pictures with, but its fairly decent quality.
Hi Rik,
Thank-you for the reply & I'm sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I didn't get a notice in my e-mail that you had replied, so I just now saw this.
Yes, my husband can solder and knows how to use a multimeter, so if you don't mind, I would really appreciate the information on how to convert the PSU. My computer is still running, but the power supply still sounds horrible and runs hot.
Thanks!

rik said:
Did sony take lessons from the early packard bell pc's??? They were nearly as bad. What with their "backup" software that made a useless copy of every file you put on it so that they could charge you for another hard drive. And all the mobo's being soldered instead of jumpered so you had to buy a new mobo to upgrade your processor.

Hallgirl, is it like a high pitched whistle? or more of a whirring sound?

sdfglsbdfjsbdfh ughhh what do you kno of the high pitched whistle..it is driving me absolutely INSANE. HOW DO I FIX IT?!

sometimes, capacitors in power supplies make a high-pitched whine, which can be described as a whistle or hum. to remedy the problem, the supply (and thus the offending capacitor) needs to be replaced.

high frequencies are very directional, so by listening carefully you can usually determine where the noise originates. you may have to take off the cover of your PC, but doing so would void any warranty.

Power supply problem (V505EC)

My laptop's power cord has a light that indicates that power is been sent to it. when the battery is at lower than 30%, this light blinks constantly and the screen as well, since my "running on battery" settings make the screen less bright. it shows the message "plugged in" and "running on battery" for at least 20min. I am not sure if this is a battery problem or a power cord problem. l bought this laptop in 2004.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Simplest solution

This is ridiculous. Why is everytime I go to one of these tech help sites the so-called "experts" give you some of the most off the wall solutions known to computer science.

I'm not a computer whiz, but I know may way around a computer enough to swap components and resolve most software issues. I have the Sony PCV-RS720G. It is actually my third Sony Vaio. I noticed also on memory intensive applications the fan would start jumping to stage 3 or 4 on speed and make tremendous noise. I figured hey, it's a fan. Fan's are meant for cooling right? So if the fan starts going really fast, that must mean the object that is being cooled is hot?

Call me crazy but I don't think you need a degree from MIT to make this connection of logic. The fan that makes the noise is the CPU fan. When I looked at the fan itself, the heatsinks were completely covered with dust. I airdusted the fan and it was fine until the heatsinks became clogged again. So I spent $25 and got an upgraded fan from tigerdirect and since then no problems whatsoever.

Switch capacitors? Sheesh...

someone asked for help and it was given. everyone has the right to say what they want here, including you.

zephead said:
someone asked for help and it was given. everyone has the right to say what they want here, including you.

Congradulations, a good response to that smart @ssssssssssssssssssssss...

Everyone has the "right" to do anything they want.. that does not mean that offering ridiculously convoluted advice to simple questions is helpful.

Nickc - you might want to use your spell check before you offer "congradulations" to people in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back