Wmp 11 protocol problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

toxic girl

again me with new problem. this time I was trying to watch big brother live stream but I get this error : "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the specified protocol is not supported. If you typed a URL in the Open URL dialog box, try using a different transport protocol (for example, "http:" or "rtsp:")." when i saw adress it was mms://... and everything was fine until I installed this new wmp11

I've had that problem a while ago & here's what fixed it for me:
Taken from: Streaming errors in Windows Media Player
1. Close Windows Media Player. (To do this, on the File menu, click Exit.)

2. Click Start, and then click Run.

3. In the Run dialog box, type the following (exactly as shown):

%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Media

This step opens the following folder on your computer:

SystemDrive:\Documents and Settings\UserProfileName\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Media

4. In this folder, rename the folder 10.0 to 10.0.bak. For more information about renaming folders, see To change the name of a file or folder.

5. Start the Player and try to stream the content again.

thanks for helping but this is still not resolving the problem.

EDIT: after renaming 10.0 folder was not successful I tried to rename folder 11.0 and stream is working. thank you very much

I guess 10.0 was the latest version of Windows Media Player when that support article came out. I guess we can safely say if there's a Windows Media Player 12, you'll need to rename the 12.0 folder for the streams to work again. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back