GeForce FX

olefarte

I notice that Best Buy.com has removed the NV FX card from there list for preorder. Wonder if this has any bearing on all the rumours floating around.

Originally posted by Mr.Guvernment
the rumours that is is a HIGHLY overrated card? and that not that many people are going to dish out for it?

No, the rumors that nVidia is ditching the FX.

The plot thickens :D

From what I've been reading, (been reported on in this forum) it's going to be limited to 100,000 cards and nVidia's going to apply there efforts to the next generation card. Just makes me think it may be really true. I can't believe Best Buy removed it without a reason.

nah, nVidia won't die. If they do bad for everyone. ATI would be free to bump prices to whatever they wanted. If nVidia would die, then someone else will pop up soon, video cards aren't like the OS market. There is no "standard" video card that only certain thing will run on that are used by the general public.

^^^^^ Matrox would then come into play likely to fill that gap.

nvidia likely won't due any time soon, but this maybe a smart move to concentrate on a better card - HOWEVER ATi is already doing that, so nvidia will more or less have to do what ATI did with the 9700 PRO - a wicked card - good solid drivers and out before the compention is!

Nvidia is taking a HUGE hit in the pockets for this one...

actually if you think about it they must have a real nice card to be able to drop the gffx...

^^^

or they

*think* they do - just as they *thought* they had wit the FX

the FX is a dead battle - they can not regain the top postion with it, so why work on it? move on to your next project - but their next project will have to beat the 9700 even more AND ati's new r350 chip - which there are no details about.

www.bfgtech.com

er if you read the little tidbit on the bfg manufacturer website it explains that the preorders were filled for the geforce fx ultra... basicly the rarity of the 5800 ultra is well known

and the pny version at compusa has also stopped taking preorders as well...
oookayy.. so maybe i was wrong i called compusa and put my preorder in... their webmaster should update the tech specs on it... either that or compusa just screwed me

Or perhaps what everyone is missing out is that Nvidia may be releasing other models of the GeForce FX card as they did with the GeForce 4 by creating different versions of the MX, TI and the GO group. At the moment there are 15 different GeForce 4 cards available and 6 of these are just the TI alone! We only know of two GeFoce FX cards, what I am trying to say speaks for itself. And even if Nvidia don't release any more from the FX card series, you have got to admit, the ultra is one fine piece of art with its CineFX engine and Intellisample Technology its bound to make you jiz your pants.

^^^^
true NVIDIA is know for that, it's version and then the resellers own version.

frankly NVIDIA screwed up and will have to do alot to make up for it.

I would just like to clear all of this mess up, the GeForce FX 5800 Ultra is a higher performing card than the ATi 9700 PRO; if you looked around a little harder (not trying to sound rude), you would see that the proof is everywhere. Since nobody has found it, it is left to me to show you. Here you go:

24.txt
3DMARK03 scores

Okay fine, it doesn't completely blow the 9700 away, but it does get a better 3DMark03 score. And for those of you who think the 3DMark score is completely irrelevant, read the rest of the GeForce FX 5800 Ultra review from Guru3D. The reason I posted this so late is because I just found that review myself :grinthumb

^^^^^

get some test that use AA and AF - then the tides will turn :)

Also - pending on what nvidia drivers u use, will matter since some releasea are tweaked for 3dmark.

but yes, the FX is a bit ahead and i say a bit - considering the 9700 is using 6 month old technology.

Agreed Mr. Guv. And with AA and AF on the higher the resolution, the better the 9700 Pro looks.

The 9800 Pro will be out soon and will take the lead, and you know nVidia isn't standing still, so the NV 35 will follow soon, and then the R400 from ATI soon after that. I think now that ATI has gained a lot of respect, it will be a war from now on to see who can top the other. We'll all be winners in this, that is if we can afford it.

Thank you for pointing that out olfarte, this was is going to be great for us customers :). I can't wait to see what the NV35 has to surprise us with, let alone the R400. I can tell that 2003 is going to be a great year in the Graphics business, for both the manufacturers and us customers :D . I am so excited!! :bounce:

Hi

I just want to say a few things on this topic.

olefarte
They probably removed it because it is lo longer a best buy hehe. The Geforce FX costs much more than any of its equivalents, even on the lower levels.

Nick
Although I like ATI and i have a 9700 pro, I still want nvidia to do well. its good competition, and competition brings progress and lower prices. nvidia will not die.

Timmoore
Now thats very controversial and you know it. If I wanted I could go over to some websites and get a handfull of screenshots showing the 9700 PRO beating the FX 5800, but I will be fair. Firstly, the 9700 pro is an allround better card. For many reaons:
Price, quietness, overclockability, etc.
Yes, the FX beats it in SOME of the 3d Mark 2001 tests, but when u put max anti aliasing and anisoptric filetering (which is how I play my games, and how everyone should with these cards), the 9700 pro wins. not only that but I dont play the 3d mark games, hehe, I play the REAL games, in which, yet again the 9700 pro beats the FX (unreal tournament 2003). and to put the cherry on top, the 9700 pro has much better looking anti aliasing and anisoptric filtering. Also, the 9700 PRO does better then the Geforce FX in 3d Mark 2003. The FX is superior with the extra inbuilt effects, which I am not disputing here.
I wouldn't have said anything if you showed both sides of the story, but you didn't so I felt oblieged to balance the equasion. :p
The 9800 PRO is out now, and that beats the FX in the 3d mark 2001 tests also.

That's it really. Sorry to sound evil, but people should try and not be biosed by the card/manufacturer that they like.

Back