Decrypting Windows Encrypted File from a Diff XP PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deviouz

I have 2 XP Pro SP2 PC's. 1.laptop & 2.Desktop
I used the same XP DVD to install the same OS on both of them.
I used the exact same USER Name & Password on both PC's to login

I encrypted some files on one of the HDD's on my 2.desktop pc. using the windows file encryption (EFS) from the advance file properties feature.
I now have this 2. desktop PC taken apart and have that HDD with the encrypted files on it in an external usb cradle.

I want to copy those encrypted files from that external HDD onto my 1.laptop but it wont let me because of the files being encrypted by windows, I figured that it would let me copy them because both pc's use the same exact same USER Name & Password on both PC's to login.. but i guess not

So my question is how do i get those files off of that HDD onto my 1.laptop without having to put my 2.desktop pc all back together again and then decrypt the files so i can then copy then..??

Personal Encryption Certificate, Recovery Agent Certificate, EFS

EFS [encrytping file system] is available using XP professional <not available on XP Home>

A copy of either certificate is need to access encrypted files. To the best of my reading on this topic, this certificate must originate on the computer where the encrypted files are created. These certificates must pre-date any re-load of the OS. A change in the OS changes system ID and, thereby, changes the ‘key generator’.

These certificates can be imported to the destination computer. Once the certificate has been processed, you are able to access the files.

The experiment to copy the registry key from the source computer to the destination computer did not overcome other security checks that became apparent when attempting to access the file <No Access>.

I am guessing that this forum frowns upon recommending any software that can hack computer security. BTW, I do not know of any.

Other findings:

<right click file ! properties ! advance ! details > 'certificate thumbprint'

Here is the registry key for 'certificate thumbprint'
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\TrustedPeople \Certificates\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back