New CPU problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningSeed

Hi, I have recently purchased a SL9K8 (Intel Pentium D 950 3.4ghz) CPU and am having problems when windows loads.

My computer was running an Intel Pentium 4 530 with 4 x 512mb RAM. My motherboard is GA-8I865G775-G and from this link it says my mobo can support the new CPU: i cannot provide link as this is my first post but on the gigabyte website you can find my mobo sorry for the inconvinience.

I am on the BIOS version F1 as is stated needs for it to use the CPU.

After changing my CPU to the new SL9K8 the bios detects it, windows loads then blue screens saying it closed to stop damage to the system, the error codes start:
STOP: 0x00000050
STOP: 0x0000008e
STOP: 0x0000007e
STOP: 0x0000000a
can provide the full code within the brackets if needed.

These obviously point to memory problems but i have used them in the same computer just with a different CPU for ages. I have tried booting with single ram sticks in but the same issue comes up. Could the bios just need updating to the F3 version on the website even thought i have the bios version they say supports it or do i need an update from intel. Or could it be something totally different?

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have also run Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and everything was fine.

Clear your CMOS and see if this helps... The new CPU might have quite different timings and the memory settings in the bios may no longer be correct

Tmagic650 said:
Clear your CMOS and see if this helps... The new CPU might have quite different timings and the memory settings in the bios may no longer be correct
Ive tried clearing it twise neither time helped

Tmagic650 said:
Well if this is the case, the new CPU may not be compatible afterall
Hmm thats weird even thought the CPU is listed as being supported by my motherboard. I may have to ring gigabyte and inquire. One of my friends suggested putting the windows disc in and installing driver files agen after putting my new CPU in. Something along those lines incase windows isnt picking it up properly or something. Not to sure what he was on about if you could shed some light on this thanks

It's on the list of supported CPUs.

You can attempt flashing your BIOS if you haven't yet, as well as a repair installation of Windows as your friend suggested. Try testing your RAM with Memtest86.

If the repair installation doesn't work, as rare as it is, you may very well just have a defective CPU.

Are you sure that the RAM is compatible with the processor, or should you upgrade to the next memory (if available) that the motherboard is rated at AND supports (unless already running at that speed). Sometimes what you thought is good RAM will show up as bad RAM when you upgrade (swap out processor and/or motherboard). Sometimes the processors and RAM don't get along, depending on the brands, even though it worked prior to swapping out your cpu for a new one.
What about your power supply? Is it rated for the new cpu??

Ok so far i have updated my bios to version F3.

How can i tell if my RAM is compatible with my CPU.

What exactly should i now do to replace the CPU besides taking the old one out and putting the new one in and applying the thermal compound, should i take the mobo battery out to reset cmos etc. Thanks for helping guys

Ohh and is doing a XP repair the last ditch attempt? What files would i need to tell windows to replace and what will still be on the computer after.

Running a Repair Installation will leave all of your programs and data untouched, it only effects the system files. You will probably have to reinstall your Windows Updates (and maybe SP2).

Here is the supported list of RAM for your motherboard. If you have purchased something outside of this list you may have incompatible RAM (although it usually does not present an issue).

You can test your RAM by running Memtest86, or, simply by switching it with other modules.

If you're still experiencing issues, try your old CPU. If things clear up, I would have the 950 RMA'ed.

Ok isnt Memtest similar to the one provided by windows? I have 2 of the samsung 512mb that are compatable with my mobo in atm and 2 that arnt listed, i tried the processor with just 1 of the samsung that is compatable before and that didnt help.

What about running a INF Update utility for my chipset?

Download number 2, or would number 10 help to.

Have it RMA'ed ?

What will updating my chipset drivers do exactly? And will i have to install all my device drivers agen or will they all be left alone?

Updating your chipset drivers may allow the new CPU to work properly, but as Zenosincks says, try the XP Repair first. Doing the repair will leave all your programs and drivers untouched, but you will have to download and install all the Microsoft Updates over again

Hey guys thanks for all the help, updated bios and INF and CPU worked fine. Dont see why considering i had the F1 bios needed unless its a misprint on there site and is meant to be F2 or F3, either way having F3 works fine. Cheers guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back