Problems staying connected to FiOS wireless router

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got FiOS last weekend (TV, internet and phone), and ever since then I have had problems staying connected using my wireless laptop. It will connect for 10 mins or so, then would drop off. My laptop would take a few minutes before it could re-acquire a signal again. I used to have Verizon broadband DSL before and had no problems. This is very frustrating. Is this a known problem with Verizon? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you live in an area where there are a few wireless routers in the area? Access the routers admin setup and change the channel to 9 or 10. Could be interference with other routers, cordless phones, microwaves. Also, is the wireless router in the same spot as the old one? The wireless router could be too far from the computer. Also make sure the laptop is actually using YOUR signal and not your neighbors.

fastco said:
Do you live in an area where there are a few wireless routers in the area? Access the routers admin setup and change the channel to 9 or 10. Could be interference with other routers, cordless phones, microwaves. Also, is the wireless router in the same spot as the old one? The wireless router could be too far from the computer. Also make sure the laptop is actually using YOUR signal and not your neighbors.

Hey Fastco...thanks for the reply. There are many wireless routers in my area (always has been), but no problems before. The new router is exactly where the old one was. The laptop is using my signal (checked that). I do have cordless phones, but again, no issues before with regular DSL. Not sure how to acess my router setup, but am willing to try. Would I have to call Verizon to do that?

No, what brand Wireless Router do you have? You can access them by typing an IP ( in any web browser) like 192.168.0.1. or 192.168.1.1 etc... Depending on the brand. Then for Dlink the username is left blank and the password is admin and it's the opposite for Linksys. Just Google it and you can find out what the access IP is. You don't need to call Verizon.

fastco said:
No, what brand Wireless Router do you have? You can access them by typing an IP ( in any web browser) like 192.168.0.1. or 192.168.1.1 etc... Depending on the brand. Then for Dlink the username is left blank and the password is admin and it's the opposite for Linksys. Just Google it and you can find out what the access IP is. You don't need to call Verizon.

Hey Fastco...I was able to acess my router today. I went into the wireless configuration and changed the channel from 9 to 11. So far...so good. I guess the cordless phones, etc were causing the issue after all. Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back