BSEL Mod available for Celeron D 356 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some left over parts which I could use for upgrading my wife's computer.

Those are

Cedar Mill Celeron D 356 (3.33Ghz, 533 FSB)

PCCHIPS P23G Motherboard

1GB of DDR1 PC3200 GEIL Memory

She currently uses Athlon XP 1700+ (@ 2.17Ghz)

I was going to overclock this Celeron D 356 but PCCHIPS Motherboard won't let me do it. On the same motherboard, I used to run E2160 1.8GHz @ 2.4Ghz by using BSEL Mod. I have been googling for BSEL Mod guide for Cedar Mill Celeron for the last several days, but it is nowhere to be found. Could it be because people are not interested in this old CPU or it is not possible to do BSEL mod on Cedar Mill? I want to know how I can push its 533Mhz FSB to 800Mhz. Please help me.
Thanks.

"I want to know how I can push its 533Mhz FSB to 800Mhz. Please help me"...

buy a better motherboard

"I want to know how I can push its 533Mhz FSB to 800Mhz. Please help me"...

buy a better motherboard

Uh.. thank you for the response, but does it mean it's not possible to BSEL mod a Celeron D 356 ? I was able to overclock E2160 from 1.8Ghz to 2.4Ghz using the mod. Perhaps there might be a way to do it on Cedarmill celeron D ?

PCChips is a good basic budget motherboard that holds up well.
Overclocking that particular Celeron D356 will not do much good, in any regard
You will have a good computer for microsoft office or Open Office, and standard games, but you will not get great performance.
If you are to invest in any equipment, load up the memory to all the PCChips board will accept.

While a bsel mod could be done, I seriously doubt your cpu will run stably (even at all) at the 5000mhz that it will be at if you push it to 800fsb. You may be able to reduce the multiplier and get it to work, but I have my doubts, since the bios will default to max multiplier and probably not even post, thereby blocking attempts to lower it.

FYI, this is what I think the BSEL mod would be for 533 to 800. I take no responsibility for the results of any modding. ;) Basically BSEL0 needs connected to a VSS (ground) pin to make a low signal, and BSEL1 needs to be connected to VCC (voltage) to make a high signal. Edit: note this is a picture from "top down view" (looking at the socket), so when you are looking at the pins on the cpu, it will be reversed.

bsel533800zo4.jpg

Image made by me, vnf4ultra, ask before reposting.

Edit: changed information based on more research. This post is very informative.

That BSEL method will not work on that Celeron, nor on that chipset of the PCChips motherboard.

I've found a bios update on the web which i used to 2 overclock my 630 P4 from 3GHz 2 3.46GHz with a FSB of 923MHz I could overclock more but then things become unstable and i have to start over. This is probably becuase my mobo can only support upto 800Mhz but it is still very stable at 923Mhz weired. Maybe u should try to find a bios flash update 4 urs 2 by starting with the name of your mobo which is written near your CPU Heatsink on mine it says 661FX-M7 so i looked 4 661FX-M7 bios updates normally very easy to upgrade because they use utilities which are downloaded with the bin updates and normally instructions as well.

Hope this helps 2 give u more ideas

No, I don't think the BSEL can be done on a Celeron D 356 at all... but I guess it does no harm to try.

The bsel mod should work, given that it's the correct one, as all the bsel mod does is "tell" the motherboard to use a different fsb than the cpu would normally be detected with. It depends mainly on whether or not the board will allow the bsel mod, since some boards ignore the bsel signals and rather use the cpu id instead. Since lukeskywacko says the board worked with another bsel mod, his board should accept any bsel mod as long as the board supports the new fsb speed, which it does in the case he's describing (800mhz).

That said, even though I think it will "work," I don't think his cpu will run at 5ghz.

It's not the motherboard, its the Celeron. There are only certain Celeron processors that willw work and the D356 is not on my list.

I assume you're referring to the 800 to 1066fsb bsel mod, and if that's the case, then you're right, the celeron d 356 will not work with that bsel mod. I'm suggesting that it can have a different bsel mod, a mod from 533 to 800 instead, which involves different pins.

I would contend that any socket 775 cpu could potentially have a BSEL mod done to it. Obviously, lower clocked chips are better candidates as they have more headroom for overclocking. With a knowledge of the cpu's pin layout (what each pin is), and a knowledge of which combinations of high/low signals result in which fsb (which is gleaned from design guides), a user can determine what pins need to be isolated or grounded to result in the desired fsb. Not all boards support BSEL modded processors however, as I know that at least some Gigabyte boards will not work with "properly" BSEL modded cpus, and I'm sure some other manufacturers have boards that behave similarly.

Thank you guys for your responses.

One of my friends gave me this PCChips P23G motherboard and Celeron D 356 when he was upgrading his computer to a quad core system.

I have run Celeron D 356 & PCChips combo in my HTPC for a while, then I bought an E2160 (1.8Ghz) which was said to be a nice budget CPU and terrific overclocker.

Since the FSB option in PCChips motherboard did not let me overclock properly, I used BSEL mod found on the web and was able to push it to 1066 fsb on PCChips motherboard to run @ 2.4Ghz. So, this tells PCChips motherboard does accept BSEL modded CPUs.

E2160 can be pused to 1333fsb to run at 3Ghz, but the motherboard is limitted to 1033fsb, so I bought another motherboard which supports 1333 fsb. I have re-done BSEL mod on E2160 and it is now running at 3Ghz nice, cool and stable on new motherboard.

Now, the leftover parts are going to be used for upgrading my wife's computer.

* PCCHIPS - can support upto 1066 fsb. accepts BSEL modded cpus.

* Celeron D 356 - many people reported that they were able to push it to 5Ghz on stock cooling, with motherboards that support changing fsb and vcore. Since my PCChips motherboard does not fall in to the category of these motherboards, my only option here is to use BSEL mod for Cedar Mill celeron if there exists one.

Thank you vnf4ultra, the CPU and motherboard were had for free, so I'd just give it a try. :cool:

Let us know how it goes. What material are you using to make the traces? I've used window defogger repair stuff, but have heard of other options like circuit writer pens, etc. I'd be highly impressed if the celeron will do 5ghz, but I don't have much experience with non-core based intel cpus.

Another thing that may be helpful to you is the pin mod for increased cpu voltage (vcore). If the motherboard doesn't allow changing of vcore, then you may want to try a voltage mod, but that's much riskier business.

Edit: I changed my bsel mod picture and info as I believe just taping over bsel 1 will not work, but rather it needs to be connected to voltage to result in a "high signal."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back