Computer won't turn on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer will not turn on at all. I checked the power supply unit and it is working fine. Where do I go next, what do I check? People have told me it is probably my motherboard but I'm sure there are other things I could check to make sure it is not something else. Or should I go somewhere to have it checked Help!

I have had the same prob with my old motherboard which was due to an on board switch system hence it very much sounds like you MOBO. Is it just an oldish MOBO or quite new Cheers PCPAUL. PS. (I may have a MOBO spare soon as am upgrading as I type)

How did you test the power supply? are there any lights on the motherboard that indicate it is receiving power or not? are any of the resistors bulging (the tall round things) or any sign of burning anywhere on the board. Odds are the mb is probably bad, hopefully it's under warranty

How did you test the power supply? are there any lights on the motherboard that indicate it is receiving power or not? are any of the resistors bulging (the tall round things) or any sign of burning anywhere on the board. Odds are the mb is probably bad, hopefully it's under warranty

with multimeter to power plugs to check the voltage. can even check with a basic tester to see if it lights up. Though I wouldn't touch the 240 volt area's with it.
Didn't do much checking on the resistors as the power supply was OK. Don't recall having an internal power light on that one but some do though I wouldn't go by those lights as a guide anyway as they can give a false reading if they just don't work and you find out its just the switch in the case thats lost a wire connection.

PS from PCPAUL,
would check the switch on the case. But it does sound like MOBO. Wouldn't worry about getting it checked for the cost of it you could have another Board lined up to put in.(second hand that is). BY the way I'm not trying to sell mine though it may seem like it. I tend to keep stuff like that like a hoarder unless I come across someone in need and the I usually give it away.

with multimeter to power plugs to check the voltage. can even check with a basic tester to see if it lights up. Though I wouldn't touch the 240 volt area's with it.
...Don't recall having an internal power light on that one but some do though I wouldn't go by those lights as a guide anyway as they can give a false reading if they just don't work and you find out its just the switch in the case thats lost a wire connection.

I would base your decision on the light either but it was a place to start. have you tried taking all the individual components out and putting them on another mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back