Task manager disabled, start menu changed, seems like a virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay, to start my computers start menu to get to control panel well its all gone everything the run, the control panel, all my programs gone only a few programs are left. like my firefox and some other programs. now to add just a week ago my computer got a very bad virus . i deleted a trojan virus but i still have no control over any of my ordinary programs, if there still there. whenever i right click the background and left click the properties it says "your system administrator disabled the display control panel" when im the only administrator and i know i didnt do that. could it be that the virus was programed to take administrative control and disable almost all of my computer administrative programs i mean imagine pulling up your start menu bar but theirs like only four programs on the left, your internet your mail and two instant messaging programs. now something disabled my internet and i, sense i didnt have control panel, had to go through windows media player go to search for content and click open my network connections and enable it. so i still have administrative control just missing the tools and everything else. please help im pretty much out of ideas.

• Start your computer in Safe Mode with Networking.
  • Download combofix. This program will repair the damage done by the virus (disabled task manager, funky Start menu etc..) and essentially disable it... Giving you control of your computer again. Run combo fix and follow the instructions. WAIT for it to finish, even if it appears it has hung up.
  • Get yourself a virus scanner, if you haven't already. AVG is a decent, free scanner. OR, just update the virus definitions on your existing one.
  • Do a full virus scan... if you find stuff... Restart your computer and scan again until all or at least most of it appears gone.

You should be pretty clear after that. I've seen similar things a millions times and combofix has come through about a million times too. :) Please note it is not without its share of risk. I've used it literally a hundred times without any issues, but it gives you a warning that 1 out of 100 PCs don't make it out alive... Take it seriously and backup your stuff if you can. But you should be OK.

Chances are it has also disabled system restore, so make sure you you re-enable it after you're clean.

You should also run hijackthis and post a log because just running combofix wont fix the problem you can have malware that will come right back.

* Click here to download HJTsetup.exe
  • Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
  • Doubleclick on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
  • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
  • Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
  • Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
  • Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
  • At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
  • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
  • Come back here to this thread and Attach the log in txt format your next reply.
  • DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

And make sure to attach the combofix log in your next reply

Yeah, a HJT log would be a good idea too... if you can actually get it to download and run. Again, Safe Mode with Networking is your best bet there.

Just about any up-to-date virus scanner also scans for malware. It's definitely worth running someting like Spybot though, to supplement your virus scanner.

First of all thank you Rick for your post. I had the same problem as darkagess posted on 08-06, start menu was modified I only had access to few programs, and at the tray had a virus alert. I follow your steps to Download Combo Fix and apparently worked. Once I had control of start menu and virus alert removed and fx the clock at bottom tray run mcaffe and this is what it found "RemAdm.ProLaunch!171" gave me an alert that it was an "unpotential wanted program" and asked if wanted to remove. I removed it also on the C drive created this folders QooBox, Boot.bak, and Cmdcons. should I removed them and do I still have to run HJT. Thank you again for Your help. PS by the way Im new in this forum I hope I'm posting this info in the right place. (I tried to post the text log after running the ComboFix but got a message that it was too long to post)

Even I too have the same problem

Hi,

I have the similar issue and wanted to submit my hijacthis.txt to this thread. Can I submit it here?

I get too many repeated "Spyware Alert" and the "VIRUS ALERT!" display on my system tray.

1. ith AVG or Panda or Spyware-doctor or other antivirus (last Updated)
scan all system. (2 or 3 times)
2. in Save mode - Run Combofix and wait 10 min to auto restart
3. After restart in normal mode wait about 20 min or more

nikos-k and suvegas

You need to create your own threads in Security and the Web forum

You may also want to try RatsCheddar (for the moment)

Download RatsCheddar
http://rathat.geekstogo.com/Applications/RatsCheddar.zip
It contains a program written by Rathat, and it is a Policy Controller.
Save and extract this program to the desktop.
Once extracted, Double click on the RatsCheddar.exe file.
Enable everything, then click Exit
Restart your Computer.

But please create your own thread, for further issues and support
This applies also to any other members posting here (other than the original thread starter and support replies.

Same Problem

Hey i just recently got a virus and i was reading everything. i found it very interesting and i thought i would give it a try. i have a log file for hijackthis. i really hope someone can help me on this:) thanks very much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back