ATI 128 rage pro driver problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I'm Hendrich. I have a problem I hope a few good techies in this forum can help me with. See, I decided to wipe my PC with my Windows XP CD-Rom, and make a fresh new installation. Afterward, my games (which uses Direct 3D) goes immensely slow, I suppose its because since I wiped my PC, the graphic card information must've gone too, since the games didn't go immensely slow before the wipe.

---

Useful Information:

I play games Like Counter Strike, software mode seems to go faster then D3D, OpenGL is not supported by my graphics card. The "display" tab in the device manager is not shown, probably because of the wipe.

The last time I remember, I had an ATI RAGE 128 PRO graphics card (It sucks, trust me, it said it supported OpenGL, it lied). I have a 733 Mhz PC with 512 Mb of RAM with Windows XP SP1 installed.

When I try to install the drivers, the installation reads I do not have the appropiate graphics card (I ffigured that was also the wipe). I do not have the CD installation for the graphics card anymore.

---

I hope you can help me with my problem, because whatever I tried to do, it doesn't work. No, I didn't try those obviously fake and viral driver-detection programs. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

could you please indicate the make/model of your computer?

Would also to get a report you could you provide
Try Everest Home Edition to get the specs.
Download from here and run it
- Click Reports->Report Wizard
- Get a Summary report in plain text

think u;ll need 5 posts to be able to attach it to a post

could you please indicate the make/model of your computer?

Hmm, I'm not 100% sure, but on the front of a computer it has a brand names Cicero, and the model number is CCSI-733 and it was made on 8/16/200. I'm pretty sure thats the one.

Heres the Everest attachment, hope this will help.

Attachments

• Report.txt
    18.3 KB · Views: 5
The last time I remember, I had an ATI RAGE 128 PRO graphics card (It sucks, trust me, it said it supported OpenGL, it lied). I have a 733 Mhz PC with 512 Mb of RAM with Windows XP SP1 installed.

Everest Reports:
Computer:
=> Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
=> OS Service Pack Service Pack 3

Display:
=> Video Adapter ATI Rage128 Pro AGP4X TMDS
=> 3D Accelerator ATI Rage128 Pro

You are right about the video card but wrong on XP Pro version. You are running XP Pro SP3

Did you try the driver from clck here?

Looks like Rage 128 Pro is the first driver on the page. Also, be sure to look at the Release Notes link for that driver.

Finally, if that does not work, it's possible it doesn't work with SP3 (it's a pretty old video card). Who knows, it may only work with SP1

Everest Reports:
Computer:
=> Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
=> OS Service Pack Service Pack 3

Display:
=> Video Adapter ATI Rage128 Pro AGP4X TMDS
=> 3D Accelerator ATI Rage128 Pro

Hmm, it looks like I got owned by Everest, my revenge will be quick and swift. >:D

But on a serious note, i tried all the driver bundles (Those bundles keep saying my computer doesnt have that card -.- ) and still it didn't work. I'll re-install me PC again with SP1, maybe that will fix the problem.

Maybe.

I'll re-install me PC again with SP1, maybe that will fix the problem

Be sure set Microsoft Updates to Custom so you can review any update before it's applied. If you only have an SP1 installation disc that must be how you got updated to SP3 I would guess

/************ EDIT ******************/
Tho before re-install maybe good to check BIOS settings and we should see if Device Manager reports anything

**************EDIT 2*****************
Others having trouble with drivers for that card as well under SP3. If you look in device manager, you should see something similar to this pic I found online (and attached). Device manager is the lower image in the pic

Attachments

• ATI Rage.JPG
    ATI Rage.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 10
Others having trouble with drivers for that card as well under SP3. If you look in device manager, you should see something similar to this pic i found online (and attached). Device manager is the lower image in the pic

Hmm, I couldn't understand what you wrote up there, do you mean other users have the same problem, and if so, so what? You didn't explain much. :p

I belive you sent me a message sating that I shouldn't install SP1 until you looked over something, thankfully I didn't install SP1 yet, I had the CD in my hand until a pop-up came up with your message. :p

Tho before re-install maybe good to check BIOS settings and we should see if Device Manager reports anything

Umm, how do I do that? :p

Be sure set Microsoft Updates to Custom so you can review any update before it's applied. If you only have an SP1 installation disc that must be how you got updated to SP3 i would guess

Nope, I got SP3 when I re-installed my old PC with a new Window's XP CD-R. I believe I had SP1 before I got SP3, and while I had SP1 my games were working fine (I hate my 733mhz processor though).

So i'll be waiting until you give me a thumbs up on the re-install.

Hendrich
  1. Yes, i saw that many people were looking for drivers for that same card to work with SP3.
  2. The BIOS is what first starts when you power up and it's your BIOS that displays that very first screen. It's a small chip in your computer (with a set of basic instructions and basic I/O configuration info) that comes up on power up and it's what allows whatever operating system you have loaded to boot up next (BIOS = Basic Input/Output System).

Sometimes BIOS configuration can affect detecting the graphics card but seeing as how it worked before, you haven't changed it and most important your problem is common to many people running SP3 we'll leave the BIOS alone
  3. If you look at the jpg i attached in my last post was just going to confirm you had same result by looking your Device Manager. Start->Run, enter: devmgmt.msc and am guessing you also have that yellow question mark just like in the .jpg. And then you can go ahead and try reinstalling SP1 which hopefully fixes your problem.
G;luck... tell us how it turns out! (And run Everest again to keep you honest ;) )

Let XP determine the drivers...

As old as that card is, I beleive XP SP3 for sure would have the drivers rolled in for that card and it may feature better compatability. I know for sure that cards such as the Geforce MX 400 series card will be automatically installed by xp without a seperate driver. That 128 pro is just as old/older and was a popular card.

Go to add/remove programs and uninstall the drivers for the card. Restart your computer and let XP do its thing....Worst that will happen is that XP will not have that driver rolled in and your back at square one.

Go to add/remove programs and uninstall the drivers for the card. Restart your computer and let XP do its thing....Worst that will happen is that XP will not have that driver rolled in and your back at square one.

The problem was that I don't have the drivers for the card, if you had read earlier somewhere is mentioned that I was unable to install any drivers whatsoever into my computer. :)

that 128 pro is just as old/older and was a popular card.

It was popular, are you kidding me,? Lols, I guess I wasn't the only one with a crappy card. :D

Below is a .bmp of what I see from add/remove on my PC, I assure you that nothing is of use in Windows components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back