Fallout 3 graphics performance in-depth

Julio Franco

Staff member
Recently we looked at how various ATI and Nvidia based graphics cards fared in Far Cry 2 and the results were somewhat unexpected as we found that mid-range graphics cards were capable of playing this game in all of its visual glory. Today we have yet another impressive new game called Fallout 3, which has had the same level of hype and anticipation surrounding it as Far Cry 2 did during the entire year.

Fallout 3's story is interesting enough and should keep fans of previous Fallout games happy. Still, we are more interested in showing you how your graphics card should perform in this game. Fallout 3 was built using the Gamebryo engine that has also powered other popular titles like The Elder Scrolls IV, Empire Earth 3, and Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning.

As you will appreciate in our visual quality comparison section of this article, Fallout 3 is a striking looking game and the recommended hardware requirements are quite high. Actually they seem much more realistic than what we usually see from developers in their official recommendations.

Read the full review at:
https://www.techspot.com/article/125-fallout3-performance/

Please leave your feedback here. Thanks!

Great round-up, as always

Since you picked on ATi for their lackluster crossfire support, why didn't you test SLi (or the 9800 GX2), to see if that worked properly or the game doesn't support it yet

Also, just to point it out, on the IQ comparison page, in the last set of screenshots, in the Ultra-High screen we can see the reflection of objects in the water (like the nearby rocks or the distant bridge); high doesn't provide this luxury

Would have also been nice to test the overclocking impact a GPU would have on performance; more ShdClk, CoreClk or MemClk frequency?

I too am hungry for some SLI benchies - though I don't care much or at all really about any kind of overclocking.

Fallout 3 Benchmark

What program did you use to benchmark this game.. The same program i'm looking at in the Test/Setup page? i would be interested in downloading this for my forum? Thanks

Back