Installing XP on sata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonnym

Hi, I just got a free laptop from the carphone ware house and I want to install XP on it as i really don't like vista.

When I boot up the xp CD it says no hard drives installed and from looking around on the net I now know that it is because I need to install the SATA drivers. For a start everything I read about said 'Copy the drivers to your floppy' I dont have a floppy drive in this laptop, and my second and main point is I can't find the sata drivers for My laptop any way

Maybe its just me being stupid and i cant see it but the model of the laptop is :-

Asus X58L Series

I looked on the website and found the drivers section and on the drivers disk that came with the laptop but i can't find them anywere. Please help

Thank you in advance, John

This is the link i was looking at btw http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Somebody please help i have a nice laptop hear and dont want it to be wasted by vista. It makes the lap top run sooooooo much slower its just really annoying

Your best bet is going to be to check the BIOS settings for the machine. Somewhere among the HDD settings you should be able to run the hdd in Native IDE or just straight IDE. Just make sure AHCI or RAID isn't enabled, hince making XP not see the drive on installation.

I changed it to compatibility in the bios settings and now im just installing xp on it no. Should i change it back to the origonal settings when its finished installing? or would that make the hard drive unbootable?

In most instances i believe this will render the HDD to be useless again, and most BIOS pages will warn you before in someway that its not recommended to change. Someone else please correct me if I'm wrong but I think you can switch it back if you install correct drivers to do so, but they aren't always available. Hope the setting got you farther along than before :)

Jeremy

Install XP on ASUS X58L

Use nLite to build a bootable XP install cd for the ASUS X58L notebook with the following drivers packed into the image.
Unpack all drivers into separate folders and use the "Intergrate drivers option" in nLite.
-Download sata drivers from Intel select "ICH8M*" in nLite (file: f6flpy3286.zip)
-Download graphics drivers for "Mobile Intel(R) GM965 Express Chipset" (file: win2k_xp1437.exe)
-Download RICOH R5C853 driver from HP (file: sp36254.exe)
-Download Realtek HD Audio Drivers from realtek (file: WDM_R211.ZIP)
-Download Atheros AR5008 drivers from atheros (file:xp32-7.6.0.239-whql.zip)
-Download "ASUS ATK0100 UTILITY driver for WinXP" from Asus (I used the X50R notebook model) (file: ATK0100_XP_061221.zip)

Leave the BIOS IDE setting to normal (SATA modus) and boot with the nLite XP cd.
XP will be installed with all the correct hardware drivers installed automaticly. (only the modemdriver is missing, but who cares ;) )

Regards,
Rudi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back