Did I burn my CPU/Motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeman14

Allright here's the story.

Yesterday I turned my computer off and went to bed. Today I got back from school, pressed the button and noticed the Monitor ain't responding. Turned it off and leaned to my opened computer and smelled a really bad smell. I looked for any smoke, didn't see any. Turned it on and off two times and on the third time, I noticed some smoke coming out from the part of the RAM sticks!

Quickly took Hard drives out, cables, turned the power supply off...I noticed that one 0.25GB stick wasn't put in correctly for some reason, ignoring the fact I haven't touched it in ages. Took it out, the little side of the injectors were burned and the slot is slightly melted.

So, I kept my PC from power supply for some minutes and took the CMOS battery out, keeping it for more than a minute also.

Put it back and tried turning the PC on...Neither Monitor, Keyboard or Mouse responding. They do nothing....Could It be my CPU? Motherboard?

If yes..How to determine it?

Thank you,

Freeman14.

If you have spares, try a different Power Supply, Motherboard, and Memory.

I would use different combinations of both your parts and the spare parts to see exactly what doesn't work (assuming the spares do work). Try to use the spare Power Supply as much as possible, though, if you have one. Because at this point, you or I don't know if the Power Supply is faulty.

If you have spares, try a different Power Supply, Motherboard, and Memory.

I would use different combinations of both your parts and the spare parts to see exactly what doesn't work (assuming the spares do work). Try to use the spare as much as possible Power Supply, though, if you have one. Because at this point, you or I don't know if the Power Supply is faulty.

I have no idea how I can change either Power Supply or Motherboard.

Memory as in RAM?

I have 3 other sticks.

(I ain't an amateur at this. I just don't know that exact section)

Did you put the RAM stick back into the melted slot on the board? Have you tried running the mobo with only one stick of RAM?

Did you put the RAM stick back into the melted slot on the board? Have you tried running the mobo with only one stick of RAM?

Do I look stupid to put a burned stick into a burned slot? lol

When you say it..I ran my 1GB stick right now...Which suddenly worked.

What else? Can I insert atleast one of the others?

Right. Also, in my experience, one stick out of four could be faulty and it could mess everything up (which was your problem); using just the three that work will make the computer run normally (just with less physical memory).

This is how you troubleshoot. Find which RAM sticks work and which ones don't, by starting up the computer with each individual RAM stick, one at a time. If the other three work then try it with all three at the same time, and by process of elimination it should work..then you can worry about replacing the motherboard if you think you need to. If you don't, then it seems like your problem is solved.. :)

Allright. I've inserted my 1GB stick and the other 0.25 stick. It only works that way, cuz if I insert into the other non-damaged slot, it doesn't work.

But now I get "CPU Fan Error" when I boot. Anything I can do?

I can see maybe the cpu fan connector being damaged being that its so close to the ram sticks. Is your cpu fan still spinning?

Hi,

Maybe you moved the CPU fan connector when fitting the RAM. It's usually very close to the top of the RAM slots and very small, check it is seated correctly.

Good luck,

Taff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back