How to identify your webcam (and then find its driver)

LookinAround

How to identify your CIF single chip web cam (and then find its driver!)

Even if you’ve lost your web cam’s installation CD, all product info, and have no clue “who the heck” even manufactured it you can still identify it! Actually, to phrase it more accurately, "you can let Windows identify it"!!!

Windows doesn’t need drivers to detect Plug and Play hardware (like a web cam) and determine its Device Identification strings

Windows Device Identification strings look rather cryptic (for example, USB\VID_093A&PID_2468\5&B114931&0&1) but these strings are fundamental to Windows Plug-and-Play and how Windows figures out which drivers work with what devices in the first place!

This guide describes how to identify the Hardware IDs for a USB web cam, then try and find a driver that matches the Hardware ID. The driver must also be compatible with the version of Windows you're running.

Note that older cams may not have drivers that work with newer versions of Windows. (For example, an older web cam may only have XP compatible drivers.) But you won't know unless you first try and look! :)

Update: In addition to the manual search method described below, here's two FREE driver finder tools you can also try that may help find your driver. Connect your cam before you run the tool.
  • Driver Easy
  • Driver Identifier
  • P.S. Note these tools may also find driver updates for devices other then your webcam. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" Don't install every driver update just because it finds one.
  • Only install driver updates for devices that aren't working or you think need them.
  • Create a System Restore point before installing new drivers.

1. Connect your webcam
  • Attach all power cords (e.g. laptop and/or web cam).
  • Plug your USB cam directly into your computer (do not use any external USB hubs). Turn your cam on
  • As long as your web cam and computer hardware are working, Windows should detect it!

2. Open Device Manager
  • For Vista
    => Click Control Panel. If you have Control Panel Classic View, click Device Manager
    => Click Control Panel. If you have Control Panel Home View, click System and Maintenance->Device Manager
  • For XP
    => Click Control Panel->System, then Hardware tab, then Device Manager button

3. Find your web cam in Device Manager
  • Understanding Device Names
    => Windows provides user-friendly device names to accommodate us humans. As far as Windows is concerned, the device name is simply a comment!
    => It's those cryptic Device Identification strings that really identify a device
    ...==> If Windows finds NO device driver, your web cam may be named “Unknown” or "Other" device
    ...==> If Windows finds the WRONG device driver you may see your web cam with the WRONG device name
  • How to find your web cam
    => While your web cam is connected, look through all of Device Manager for devices with a yellow icon (probably a yellow question mark)
    => Be certain to expand the USB category to check all devices listed under it. Also, be sure to also check if category Other Devices appears in Device Manager and look under it as well
    => Your web cam will appear as a device with a yellow icon (probably a question mark)
  • How to verify the device you found is your web cam
    => Your web cam device will only appear in Device Manager when the web cam is powered on and connected
    => Disconnect your web cam. Verify the device you had found is no longer displayed in Device Manager

4. Find your web cam's Hardware Ids
  • In Device Manager, select your web cam device, rt click Properties. Click Details tab
  • Select Hardware Ids from the pull-down. You'll see a list of one or more Hardware Id strings

5. Search for a driver based on Hardware Id
Avoid a common mistake, don't confuse the number zero with the letter "O". IDs often contain the number zero but NEVER the letter "O"
The best driver will match the Hardware Id at the top of the list. The next best driver match will match the next Hardware Id on the list, etc
  • Start by searching for the Id at the top of the Hardware Id list
  • For example, based on the Hardware IDs shown in the example below
    > First, search for the ID at the top of the list. In this example USB\Vid_054c&Pid_002d&Rev_0100
    > Then try the other IDs in the list. In this example USB\Vid_054c&Pid_002d
    > TIP: Don't confuse the letter "O" with the number zero. The ID includes the number zero but IDs NEVER include the letter "O"

Two final notes:
1) If you should find your driver elsewhere please update our "CIF Single Chip driver for webcam" thread and post your Hardware Id and the matching driver file info so others might also benefit on their next Search​
2) as fyi...Vista let's you easily copy/paste your Hardware Ids. XP does not. However, you can use a handy tool called SysExporter - To grab text data from a window when Windows doesn't let you

Two More Notes!
  1. Vista and Windows 7 drivers
    • Vista and Windows 7 impose new requirements on device drivers that XP did not (e.g. they must be "digitally signed")
    • Vendors of webcams that work in XP didn't always invest the time/$$ to create Vista (let alone Win 7) drivers for their product
    • If you have an older webcam, it's possible you may only find drivers for XP. Not Vista or Windows 7
  2. Getting free drivers from Driver Guide
    If your search happens to take you to the Driver Guide website, you can download the driver for free (you don't need to become a member)
    > Click the Download tab
    > Choose option: Download this file by viewing a series of ads then click Continue
    > For each ad, just click the No Thanks link (it will appear in lower right corner of each ad) to get to the download

Hi,

I tried finding the drivers through the above mentioned steps...but it didnt help me.

The Hardware ID for my camera is USB\VID_0553&PID_0100&REV_0000 and USB\VID_0553&PID_0100

I have a USB Camera which has a sticker "WeP Innovate" Seems to be Wipro Web cam...but i am not very sure if WeP Innovate is Wipro product.
I have been searching for the driver for this since last two weeks...and I just came across this website.
Can someone please help me with this.
This is a very old webcam with three legs and grey color ball with Green led.

How to search for your webcam driver using its Hardware IDs

HI!

Glad to help... I found a driver for you (i list it below) and i'm providing an explanation for anyone reading of how i found the driver using your webcam's Hardware IDs

After you find your webcam's Hardware IDs (as explained in the Guide here's some steps to help search for a matching driver. In your case, Windows provided two Hardware IDs for your webcam device
USB\VID_0553&PID_0100&REV_0000
USB\VID_0553&PID_0100

Notes:
  • Windows lists Hardware IDs in order of "best driver match". So we prefer a driver matching the first ID but if we can't find one Windows tells us the 2nd ID should also work
  • When i go searching for a driver to match an ID, I use both Google and Yahoo. I usually search with Google first. If not happy with the result, I try Yahoo as well. (I've found Yahoo sometimes provides some good hits that Google missed - and vice-versa)

So let's start the search
  1. Search for the 1st ID
    => Try to Search for: USB\VID_0553&PID_0100&REV_0000 But, in this case, neither Yahoo or Google find any matches
  2. Next, check if REV_xxxx is part of the ID. In your case, it is!
    • REV is the device Revision Level. If the vendor produced slightly different versions of the device they'll assign each version its own Rev level
    • It's sometimes best to drop REV from the search
      • If your search now gets results, THEN see if REV is displayed in the results and use the rev level to help pick your driver
      • But! look at the 2nd Hardware ID Windows listed. We see Windows doesn't really care what the REV level is. (No REV occurs in the 2nd ID Windows listed)
    => So we now search for: VID_0553&PID_0100 And BINGO!

Here's a link to a driver (but note it's designated for Windows 2000 or Windows XP) returned by the search.

Hi,

Thanks a lot. I think this seems to be the driver. When I try to download it...its asking me to sign up and pay for the same. Do i need to pay for the download here?

Regards

Vinit

Also wanted to thank you for guiding me through the process. This will indeed help me for all my future searches.

No. you don't have to pay. Look at the second option they list
"Download this file by viewing a series of ads (no registration required)"

Choose this option. Then you must look at 4-6 ads they first show you (just keep click NO Thanks. Ususally, in small print in lower right i believe) until you can finally get to the download for free!

I found this site the most useful when trying to resolve my webcam problems. However I got as far as identifying the hardware ID (USB\Vid_Oc45&Pid_60b0&Rev_0101&Ml_00) of my webcam but never got to locate the driver on this site or with the use of any search engines. Thanks

Was that the ONLY Hardware ID Window provided? Or did it list more then one. (IF so, would be helpful if yoiu could provide the full list and preserve the ORDER of the list as well when you provide it)

Looks like a Sonix (0c45) /Mikomi camera... (see elsewhere in Techspot)

It seems Ming Jong Technologies Co., Ltd. makes the Mikomi cameras
I was unable to locate your camera (& drivers) at their site...
http://www.mingjong.com.tw/eipe/front/bin/cglist.phtml?Category=100003
http://www.mingjong.com.tw/eipe/front/bin/cglist.phtml?Category=100060
You may have better luck there.

On an Ubuntu site I found a reference indicating a Genius camera using the same driver (same camera id - Oc45:60b0)
Here is a site for downloading the driver for the Genius camera

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SC...S/Genius-VideoCAM-Look-Webcam-Driver-10.shtml

Perhaps someone else can confirm or correct my research before you try it.
?
Hope this helps.

A CSV List of webcams for which one linux driver will work.

Attachments

• sonix webcams.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 18
Good work B00kWyrm!

This one isn't easy to find for certain! (that's the only thing for certain!)

You're also right the webcam is built using a Sonix device. And, like you, I also see evidence pointing to a Genius Webcam

If I could find/see the driver's .inf installer file could check for certain but it's harder to know for certain when the .inf is embedded in setup files such that the .inf isn't visible.

But i think your driver find if is an excellent guess and one to try

Timothy Raj

Which operating system are you using? You can
1. Try the Setup file B00kWyrm found if it matches your OS. See if and how well it works
2. I also found the Genius webcam site. From the title of B00kWyrm's driver and other evidence i found, i think it might be a Genius Look camera???? (Their Look model, not i-Look model) Anyway you can scroll through the site to find it and see the pic. (Multiple drivers by OS are also available)
=> Click for their home page
=> Click Support->Drivers->Drivers. Look down a bit to see the Webcam tab. Click it.
=> Now look at their webcams. In particular, scroll down and see the Look 317 (is just a guess). Checkout out all the Look models

Let's us know if any of these hints help find it!

Problem solved

Got it to work with the driver B00kWyrm identified. Downloaded it from the Softpedia site you posted. What great work. I was kicking myself for wasting all my time looking as I figured it would be cheaper time wise to simply by a new one as it is a shitty camera anyway.As it turns out it was worth my while simply finding this forum and you guys and seeing how help doesn't necessarily come with a hidden agenda. (I had so many attempts to sell me driver location software/scanners etc)
Thanks again,nice meeting you guys. Will be visiting again......Do have a nice weekend.

Hello sry to pop in,
but i tried searchin for the Hardware Ids but no luck
any1 can help?

USB\Vid_058&Pid_6130&Rev_0201&MI_00
USB\Vid_058&Pid_6130&MI_00

(Enet e360)

Ahhh.. another success story. Always puts a smile on my face!

And hi alicarlos13:wave:

I assume the top two lines are the Hardware IDs.

What' that bottom line?
(Enet e360) ?

Hi alicarlos13

I was going to take a look but just noticed something! You must not have copy / pasted the Hardware IDs as they can't be correct as displayed in your post!

You stated "USB\Vid_058&Pid_6130&Rev_0201&MI_00" but, by definition, the Vid format is Vid_xxxx where xxxx represents four "hexadecimal " digits and you only show three digits (i.e. hexadecimal is numeric base 16, not base 10 which is our normal decimal system). Meaning:
  • Each hex digit will be either: 0-9 or a, b, c, d, e, or f
  • Note this representation allows for 16 different characters ("digits") when using hexadecimal base 16
  • (This is vs. the 10 digits normally needed for decimal base 10 - which we otherwise normally use!)

So you must have dropped a hex digit as you state: Vid_058? Double check the Hardware Ids and let us know!

Hi,

I followed the mentioned steps above, and I successfully found my webcam driver!
My webcam now is working!

I want to thank a lot Spyder_1386, especially LookinAround for helping me on my webcam problem. I followed the mentioned steps given by LookinAround and I found my webcam's driver!Thank you very much!I don't know how to thank you for this. I want to thank Spyder_1386 for giving me the link of this thread. and LookinAround for the steps. I also want to thank all in TechSpot!This website is great!and you guys are great!Thank you very very very much!

I posted a thread regarding my webcam problem,
and thank god that Spyder_1386 replied and give me the link of this thread.

I found out that my webcam's Hardware ID is USB/VID_0AC8&PID_307B7REV_0100 and USB/VID_0AC8&PID_307B.

I used to search the first ID and it didn't match.
then as LookinAround said that the 2nd ID works, it actually works!
I found the driver of my webcam on google. (thanks LookinAround).

Hope you guys can help more people with this webcam issue.
If you guys only know how happy I am.
because that webcam has sentimental value because its a gift from my childhood bestfriend.

Thank you TechSpot for such a great help!

From,
PortalTreaf

And thank you for posting! We love to hear success stories! :D

(and could you also hit the Edit button on your post to add a reference to the link you found for your hardware id. Thx :) )

I'm not able to post links yet.
I'm a newbie here.:D
I need to post atleast 5 to post links.

I'm quite busy right now.
btw,thanks again!
i'll be posting more here in TechSpot. then I'll put the link where i found my webcam's driver.
thanks LookinAround,
and thanks to TechSpot.

Regards,
PortalTreaf

USB\VID_058F&PID_6130&MI_00

That one (VID) is by Alcor Micro,
and you will also sometimes see V550 (a Kodak model different VID).

The most complete list I have found of Alcor PIDs is this...
058f Alcor Micro Corp.
2412 SCard R/W CSR-145
2802 Monterey Keyboard
5492 Hub
6232 Hi-Speed 16-in-1 Flash Card Reader/Writer
6335 SD/MMC Card Reader
6360 Multimedia Card Reader
6361 Multimedia Card Reader
6362 Hi-Speed 21-in-1 Flash Card Reader/Writer (Internal/External)
6377 Multimedia Card Reader
6386 Memory Card
6387 Transcend JetFlash Flash Drive
6390 USB 2.0-IDE bridge
9213 MacAlly Kbd Hub
9215 AU9814 Hub
9254 Hub
9310 Mass Storage (UID4/5A & UID7A)
9320 Micro Storage Driver for Win98
9321 Micro Storage Driver for Win98
9330 SD Reader
9331 Micro Storage Driver for Win98
9340 Delkin eFilm Reader-32
9350 Delkin eFilm Reader-32
9360 8-in-1 Media Card Reader
9361 Multimedia Card Reader
9368 Multimedia Card Reader
9380 Flash drive
9382 Acer/Sweex Flash drive
9410 Keyboard
9472 Keyboard Hub
9510 ChunghwaTL USB02 Smartcard Reader
9520 EMV Certified Smart Card Reader
9720 USB-Serial Adapter

I have not yet found a driver for you.
Maybe with this information you can continue the search.
Report back if you find success (That way we won't keep looking)
... and where.

Thanks
---------------
-more information and questions...

alcor micro support info
Alcor Micro, Corp. is IC/Semiconductor company, and we only sell IC components to OEM manufacture customers. All warranty & support issues are provided directly to OEM/manufacturer customers of Alcor Micro. End users of products incorporating Alcor IC’s & components into a finished product with any support or technical questions about how to use the product should contact the Product mfg directly or the retail location where they bought the end product. Alcor Micro does not directly provide end-user/retail customer support.

Can you tell us any more about the camera?
...(like "is it a built in?")
Is it possibly a Q-Tec camera
http://www.qtec.info/products/group.htm.22.html

Might it be possible to reverse engineer a windows driver from a linux driver?
Just asking...

Hi alicarlos13

You're presenting a good challenge! Here's what i'd like to do in exploring a solution for you
  • First, good work again B00kWyrm! This hardware ID does indeed indicate an Alcor Micro device inside the web cam
  • Meaning Alcor is the chip vendor and enet (or enet360) is the company that actually built the webcam
  • Note: That I did find a few enet or enet360 related websites but i'm not including the links as i;m suspicious of malware on the sites (one in english, two in, i think, chinese). I did (cautiously) look at the english site (as i can't read chinese) but didn't see anything of interest
  • But I also noticed something curious about your hardware IDs.
    The MI_xx in the ID means it's a USB composite device (That's a USB device with multiple device interfaces). I'd like to double check and verify these IDs are indeed your webcam (and/or if any other Hardware and Device IDs are involved) because i'm not sure i've seen a USB web cam composite device before (tho maybe i'm just not remembering or maybe, in fact, your web cam happens to be a composite device). These steps will let me know for sure​
    Could you please

First, disconnect your webcam from the computer
    • Then click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
    • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
    • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

Next, re-connect your webcam
    Be sure you first close msinfo32 from above steps! Then repeat all the steps to get a NEW (and refreshed) msinfo32 and what is reported this time (with webcam connected). Then copy/paste the items into your next post

Once i can first double check the current ID data, i can explain how to also look for something called Compatible IDs which can also point us to driver solutions

Mine says VID_093A&PID_2468&rev_0100, and I've been searching for it's drivers all day, but to no avail. Also, It doesn't have a logo or anything written on it, so I haven't been able to search it that way. I can't seem to find a picture of it either, no matter what I search, any help would be appreciated.

Actually as LookinAround tries to help you (as he has successfully done, with many before)
Do you want to take a picture of it yourself, then save the pic to your computer, then upload the pic to www.tinypic.com then link it to here? That way we know what we're trying to fix :grinthumb

Back