Should I keep what I have or build new?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a pentium 4 prescott overclocked at 3.9 if im not mistaken. i was wondering should i keep this (what seems to be vastly outdated) cpu or sell it and begin anew? is it worth keeping i guess would be the appropriate question.

Honestly, it'd be much easier to just begin anew.
Actually i reckon keeping everything the same and not doing anything is easier.

It depends on your budget and if you actually NEED to upgrade. If you do, you will need a new motherboard too.

It depends on what you use the system for and if you even need the extra speed. If it's used for gaming sure I would strongly consider going with a dual-core or even a quad-core processor. How many gigs of RAM do you have installed and what type of video card? If you're system is running just a tad slow and you're not over your max on Ram, I would suggest just upgrading the RAM and saving a bundle.

thank you

thank you everyone for your thoughts and advice. it has 1.5 gb of ram, ati radeon 9800xt video card, sound blaster audigy pro platinum 2 sound card, some cheap elitegroup motherboard, all in an 11 bay tower and i would like to use it primarily for gaming, internet, and other multimedia activities.

Yeah, see. It sounds to me like the only things you could possibly keep in an upgrade are the sound card and the tower. The RAM is likely DDR, which isn't used in new mobos, the 9800XT is AGP which isn't used, the motherboard would only support old processors and you're looking to game so you need power.

New mobo, processor, RAM, video card, and PSU sound like a need if you're going to play new games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back