Typing Delay / Major lag while typing

Status
Not open for further replies.

TridentCrash

ok first off im running the same del inspiron i was runing few months back when i had the audio problems(damn dell). running windows xp and just currently wiped comp clean so i think im running SP2 again. Ok well my problem is that when ever i type (no matter the program. IE8 Opera firefox outlook notpad and so on...) there is a MAJOR lag time from when i typitthegs at least 5-10 sec behind.and it also types random stuff. i recently wiped my comp hoping it would fix the problem with little luck it did (for5 min). now i dont kno if this thread is in the right spot but if you can, PLEASE HELP!!!

To me it sounds like something else is running in the background. I would look in the task manager to make sure that unwanted processes are not running.

If you wipe the system, you remove software problems. But if there is a hardware problem causing this, 'wiping' isn't going to fix it.

Please give me the model number of the Dell Inspiron, how much installed RAM and description and model number of mouse you're using. We'll go from there. One other thing> you might be able to find an Error in the Event log that gives some clue to a contributing cause:

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:
1. Click to open the log>
2. Look for the Error>
3 .Right click on the Error> Properties>
4. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow
5. Paste here (Ctrl V)
Ignore Warnings UNLESS you are seeing the same Warning repeating consistently.
and it also types random stuff.
Possible indication of malware.

Ok in the event log there is one warning that shows up at least 4-5 times. and the only error is from when i was reinstalling my anti virus. my comp froze and the program thought there was a tampering but that has nothing to do with my problem. i hope. ill post it anyways. theres also a few application hangs but i dont know if that has anything to do with my problem. I have noticed tho that today my typing is much faster. still a little laggish but slightly improved.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1517
Date: 3/30/2009
Time: 1:14:40 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: CORI-333A5E085F
Description:
Windows saved user CORI-333A5E085F\Cori registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Symantec AntiVirus
Event ID: 45
Date: 3/30/2009
Time: 2:31:25 AM
User: CORI-333A5E085F\Cori
Computer: CORI-333A5E085F
Description:

SYMANTEC TAMPER PROTECTION ALERT

Target: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\SymCorpUI.exe
Event Info: Suspend Thread
Action Taken: Logged
Actor Process: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dumprep.exe (PID 1780)
Time: Monday, March 30, 2009 2:31:25 AM

I have a dell inspiron 1501
AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile
Technology TL-60
2.00 GHz, 896 MB of RAM
Also a correction to my first post. I am indeed running SP3
The mouse? I use the built in synaptics touchpad

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Userenv
Event ID: 1517
Happens every time you shut down without logging off first! My Event log is full of them. No worry about this one.
----------------------------------------------------
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Symantec AntiVirus
Event ID: 45
This event is recorded when the antivirus "thinks" someone is trying to attack it. In this case, the 'tampering' file is noted as C:\WINDOWS\system32\dumprep.exe, which is the Dump Reporting Tool. Dump files are created when an error occurs for which there is additional information that would be useful in diagnosing a problem.

As near as I can tell, SAVCE stopped the dump and logged the event. That is as far as I can go with it. Lots of question on this. The following should fill you in:

Never fails! Every time I think I've seen it all, something new comes around!

SYMANTEC TAMPER PROTECTION ALERT
This is a conflict between SAVCE v10 (Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition)Tamper Protection indicating that Windows Defender is tampering with SAV's executables

Supposedly, Microsoft is aware of this. This feature isn't turned on by default so the user can start it or stop it. Defender is scanning the Symantec directories.The question remains, why is Defender tampering with Symantec?
Defender's predecessor(s) (Microsoft Anti-Virus) never seemed to have a problem
with Symantec, why does defender?

You can exclude the above mentioned directories under Windows Defender's Advanced
Options, but the alerts continue to keep occurring every time WD real-time or
scheduled scans occur.

Why isn't Windows Defender skipping these Symantec directories?
The 'tampering alarms' are a technical issue,not a sign of an attempt to sabotage the application.

Check the help for Symantec Corporate Antivirus Version 10.x for information about enabling the "Tamper Protection Alert" functionality--
Turn that on, then run manual or scheduled scans with Windows Defender on
the system.

Culled from comments on various computer sites and Symantec.:
You have choices here> get rid of the Symantec program or get rid of Defender!

Application hangs are "usually" but not always, caused by a program that started on boot and isn't shutting down properly. It is almost always something you don't need to start on boot and can be resolved by unchecking the process on the Startup menu using msconfig.

Be advised that IE8 is a bloated, major resource problem! And unless you also check for malware, it can't be ruled out.

You mention IE8. it was after i upgraded to that and then rebooted that the problem came back. I dont currently use IE but either mozillia, opera or chrome. so maybe IE8 is the problem?

hmm... interesting. I have removed IE8 and reverted back to IE7 and still continue with thelag/ delay in typing. also when i type and its behind i also cant move the mouse either. just a thought

i also cant move the mouse either. just a thought

This is a new problem?

just currently wiped comp clean so i think im running SP2 again.
Are there any restore point set? If yes and you can come up with some kind of timeline for the delay in the typing, do a System Restore to date right before it started.

If you want help with the mouse, you need to give more info. Is the mouse cursor frozen on the screen? What make and model mouse do you have? You can check for malware, but it sound more like something 'mechanical' Are you sure you got all the drivers back in and that they are the correct drivers?

Hi TridentCrash!!

Hope at least your audio has been behaving! :D

1) Suggest you see [post=739139]this post[/post]. Run Process Explorer to keep an eye on your CPU and disk I/O activity to determine if that's causing the slow down.
2.) To automatically start Process Explorer on logon, you should
=> Download/install Startup Control panel
=> click Control Panel->Startup
=> Click HKLM/Run tab. Click on any entry. Rt click New.
=> Browse to Process Explorer's .exe file. Click OK
=> At the very end of the program path add a blank followed by a /t. Click OK
3) fyi... Make sure IE8 is NOT installed should you ever choose to go to SP3 (vs. running IE7). Cuz if IE8 is installed at the time of an SP3 upgrade, you can not uninstall IE8 (unless you can manage to first uninstall SP3).

Dell software may be the issue

I read on another site while researching drag that Dell laptops are having an issue with their Media Direct software. Try uninstalling that and post back if your issue resolves.

Video

This same thing happened to me and it turned out to the be the video driver causing it. If you've tried everything else, go to run > Services.msc and look for "ati hotkey poller" and disable that. It's the part of the video driver that's causing the issue. See if that works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back