PFN_LIST_CORRUPT Blue Screen Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I've been getting PFN_LIST_CORRUPT Blue Screen Errors almost daily for a while now.

I've searched techspot and found this post (techspot.com/vb/post733109-10.html) which suggested that PFN_LIST_CORRUPT blue screen errors usually indicate bad memory. I let memtest run overnight, however, and even after 14 passes it found no errors.

I've also followed cpc2004's instructions here (techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-31341-How-do-I-read-minidumps.html), and created a debuglog.txt from my latest minidump, which I've attached to this post.

However, I still have no idea what's causing these crashes, which happen almost daily now. The only pattern I've noticed is that they almost always occur when I switch back to firefox (after using some other app) and open a new page or click a link. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing firefox, and I'm using the latest version, but the error keep occuring.

I would greatly appreciate any help in tracking this down.

Thanks,
Jonah

Attachments

• debuglog.txt
    15.4 KB · Views: 9
That error is a very strong indicator of corrupted memory. The first step is to run Memtest on your RAM. Under the tutorial forums here at TechSpot is how to run memtest.

* Keep in mind, two things: let it run for a minimum of 7 passes and if you have any errors then you have RAM that needs to be replaced.

That error is a very strong indicator of corrupted memory. The first step is to run Memtest on your RAM. Under the tutorial forums here at TechSpot is how to run memtest.

* Keep in mind, two things: let it run for a minimum of 7 passes and if you have any errors then you have RAM that needs to be replaced.

Did you read my post? I ran it for 14 passes and there were no errors.

EDIT: lol, in fact i linked to one of your old posts in my OP just to clarify that i had already made an effort to search and solve by myself.

memtest results

You may need to let memtest run up to 48 hours...
If you still have no errors, then maybe we ought to look further.
But, imo, you can trust Route44...
this is the place to start.

Second Thoughts... Wondering if you are doing any overclocking.
If so... overclocking might generate errors,
even though the memory is able to pass the Memtest?

Can anyone confirm or deny this hypothesis?

You may need to let memtest run up to 48 hours...
If you still have no errors, then maybe we ought to look further.
But, imo, you can trust Route44...
this is the place to start.

Second Thoughts... Wondering if you are doing any overclocking.
If so... overclocking might generate errors,
even though the memory is able to pass the Memtest?

Can anyone confirm or deny this hypothesis?

Hey Bookworm,

Thanks for your response. I ran it for like 10 or 11 hours and 14 passes; is that really not enough? The tutorial says 7 passes should suffice.

As for overclocking, I am not doing that, so it shouldn't be relevant.

For argument's sake, say we rule out bad RAM as the cause. Where is the next place to look?

Thanks!

0x0000004E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

This indicates that the memory management Page File Number list is corrupted. Can be caused by corrupt physical RAM, or by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists.

We need your system specs.

We need to know what OS you are running.

If you can attach the 5 latest minidump files.

0x0000004E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

This indicates that the memory management Page File Number list is corrupted. Can be caused by corrupt physical RAM, or by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists.

We need your system specs.

We need to know what OS you are running.

If you can attach the 5 latest minidump files.

Route44, thanks very much. Specs:

Win XP Pro, Service Pack 3
AMD Athlon 64 Processor
3200+
2 GH, 2 GB RAM

Please let me know any other info you need.

Minidumps attached to post.

Jonah

Attachments

• Mini032409-01.zip
    36.8 KB · Views: 8
Every one of your minidumps are 0x0000004E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT and every one specifically cites memory corruption as your issue.

Since you have run Memtest (as good as this test is bad memory has been known to pass it on the rare occasion) I suggest the following:

1. Make sure your memory sticks are securly seated.

2. Go to your BIOS and check the voltage that your motherboard has your memory set at. Is the voltage within the parameters of recommendation for your memory?

3. Run with just one stick of memory for awhile. Then switch out and run with the other one. Any BSODs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back