Tapi32.dll error

Status
Not open for further replies.

patdi_1

Receiving the following error:

c:\windows\system32\TAPI32.dll not designed to run on Wondows or contains errors. This shows up multiple times on startup and when internet explorer is started. I am running Vista home premium 32 bit on a laptop. Any ideas?

I think it is a dll for Windows Telephony program.. Delete the program if you don't use it, download Ccleaner and run the registry cleaner, restart the computer and the error messages should be gone. If you need the program reinstall it.

This legitamit Windows file is locked by Windows you cannot delete it normally (not that I would anyway)

tapi32.dll or tapi32 process info for Microsoft Windows Telephony API Client DLL

Fax software add-in might be interfering.
Malware could be involved
System Files could be corrupt

Firstly try removing any recent fax or Dial-up software
Next have a look at: UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions
Lastly try running SFC /Scannow to confirm all Windows files are intact (note 1 space after SFC)

:)

Did as requested, problem still happening. SFC show problem but could not fix, cannot attach as Vista will give me permission to upload log. Have included HJT and Mbam log

correction will not give me permission

You have 35 Windows startups (these are the #04 entries)
You have a further 20 Services startups (these are the #023 entries)

All up you have 55 Windows startups happening!

Try this:

Run Startup Control Panel and remove any not required startups: (should be most, if not all), to check if it still happens

You may also place Windows in Diagnostic Mode (instead of downloading and running Startup Control Panel) This can be done by running MSConfig, and then selecting "Diagnostic Startup"

Restart

If the fault has gone, then begin to turn back on a few at a time, until through the process of elimination, you locate the offending startup (restarting each time to confirm)

Note: I did not go through your HJT log in fine detail, because it's just too big.
Also I prefer free Avira AntiVirus with its one startup, you might want to consider removing Trend (I would :))

This problem has gone away but all video /audio application are producing the a new message related to WINMM.dll.

Resolved

I finally got the SFC /scannow to work by first disabling the UAC by going into the regedit, make a registries backup and updating the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Policies\System\EnableLUA to 0.

I then ran the SFC which corrected the WINMM.dll problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back