Not open for further replies.

deanlaing12

Im using windows xp home edition

Aol
Ethernet (wired)
DSL

No security activated atm.

i did a speed test at speedtest.net

It says my isp is Carphone Warehouse broadband and that i am recieving 2.93 MB/s (carphone warehouse supports 3.6 and i support 6.8 with 8 meg)

I did another test as a broadband site and it says im recieving just 1.3 download speed.

My house can handle 6.8

i bought a 1 year contract for 8 megabytes and unlimited broadbande

The most i recieve is 300kb/s (at night)

and around (50 kb/s)

I shoud be getting around 700 kb/s right?

(i no the diffrence between kB/s and kb/s, [multiply kB/s by 0.125 to get your kb/s)

Durning the day when most people is online the internet is barly usable on youtube and gaming with pings of around 200+

durning the night the intrnet downloads around 300kb/s with gaming ping of around 30~60

My router firewall is always deactivated to avoide confusion when using my xp firewall.

( i have read round some articles that AOL are the worst isp because of their scamms, like for instance:

1 year 8 megabyts contract with unlimited broadband. They give you 4 ish megabyts and their service dosn't agree with the contratc.)

How can i resolv this issue or make it a little better?

You probably can't. I upgraded to 10MBPs, rarely for 5, depending on which site I used for speed test. Now I have 15 MBPS "Turbo" and am slower!

Go figure! Speed Test don't give the same results. Suggest you stop doing them to lower frustration level.

But this is not necessary:
My router firewall is always deactivated to avoide confusion when using my xp firewall.

Windows XP firewall is software, router is hard ware. Use both is wanted. Router offers better protection of the two.

Even though you are offered an upgrade in DSL speed, that doesn't mean you actually are technically able to take advantage of it. I did that once and instead of a speed increase, the speed went down. I called the ISP and they sent a technician and eventually he figured out I wasn't qualified for the upgraded speed due to the distance from the telephone central office. Once I "downgraded" my speed went up to acceptable levels.

You'd think that the DSL service wouldn't let you upgrade if you didn't qualify but that doesn't necessarily happen.

I am on Plusnet (UK) which initially gave me a theortical maximum of 8Mbs, of which I actually saw 4.3Mbs due to distance from the local exchange. Since then (14 months ago), demand for broadband has shot up to such an extent that it is impossible to provide unlimited speeds to everyone. Therefore plusnet - and all other ISPs - are having from necessity to throttle everyone back. I now get 3Mbs.

Not every ISP is coming clean about this, but PlusNet is. The following link (if it works for you) will show you exactly how much throttling back is in place, and you will see that it varies very greatly according to (a) type of traffic (b) time of day (c) how much you are prepared to pay.

In case you cannot view this, if I pay the minimum tarrif, I will get a maximum linespeed of 2Mbs at certain times and certain traffic types, right down to only 50Kbs at peak time for peak traffic type.

Apparently, I could still pay for maximum line speed, but it would cost me 4 times the monthly amount.....go figure as the yanks are fond of saying.

https://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml#valuespeeds

Even though you are offered an upgrade in DSL speed, that doesn't mean you actually are technically able to take advantage of it. I did that once and instead of a speed increase, the speed went down. I called the ISP and they sent a technician and eventually he figured out I wasn't qualified for the upgraded speed due to the distance from the telephone central office. Once I "downgraded" my speed went up to acceptable levels.

You'd think that the DSL service wouldn't let you upgrade if you didn't qualify but that doesn't necessarily happen.

Yes but i have cheked that my line can hold up to 6.8 megabytes with the distance, the distance lowerd my maximum to 6.8, 6.8 isnt what my house can hold.

Is that what you meant?

Ok so what is the best internet for my location which is:

Scotland, stirling, raploch

im round the corner from the phone line box thing and 2 miles from the main city box and arround 200+ miles from englands main chunky line (i don't no its name, the server)

(if i got fiberoptic cables installed in my house, would it boost the speed?)
(this is supposed to happen to 10 million houses round scotland, says broadband, that means virgen media will go bust maby)

Lol there are people left who use AOL? I bought road runner turbo (15mbps) and on a speed test i get 18 ping, 22.23 mb/s download, 11.98 mb/s upload.

Other than that, i suggest you pay the cancellation fees and swap to a new service.

I hate to put a damper on things but what your house can hold doesn't mean that's what you'll get!

I hate to put a damper on things but what your house can hold doesn't mean that's what you'll get!

I no what you mean but:

Im paying for 8 meg internet
Im only 2 miles from the closest city main station thingy
my house can hold 6.8 or so...

there are deffinatly no faulty wires, and yeti still get this wierd result.

Where have i lost all my internet?

what iv heard:

aol have carphone warehouse servers, and their crap
speed test site that i went to is crap

can i be redirected to some "good" or "exelent" speed test servers?
Is aol still with carphone warehouse servers then?#

What am i missing, my other house (only 1.5 miles from the city station thingy can download at 900kBps

thats like almost a megabyte a second, and this house like half a mile from the city station thingy downloads at 50KBps or sometimnes if im luky at night i get 300KBps

My other house is with bt broad band so maby i should just go back with them?

since you get a free £88 worth router thingy free anyways.

What is your suggestions?

Well, I pay for 15/2. I've never gotten over 12mbps download but usually get 1.8mbps upload. I have no confidence in the speedtest. RR use to use Speedtest out of Atlanta. When I use "their" speedtest, I get average of 12/1.8. When I use the SAME Speedtest out of Atlanta accessing through the internet, I only get about 4-5mbps for the d/l.

I have fought and whined about their failure to meet what I'm being charged for. they send a tech out- he uses HIS instruments and guess what- 15mbps come up! The ISP won't consider any test valid of course, unless it's their own!

Where's it going? I don't think it's "going" anywhere. I don't think they're putting it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back