Network Drivers on HP Laptop Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody,

I'm new here but am a semi-experienced windows/mac user. I have searched the internet long and hard for a solution to my problem but I still either haven't been helped or people just don't know how to help me..

Once again this is a driver problem, I think. None of my network drivers are working and I can't connect to the internet. Under "Network Adapters" in device manager, there is a yellow exclamation mark next to each driver. To give you an idea here is the list;

Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (working, surprisingly)
Realtek RTL8101 Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (!)
Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface (!)
WAN Miniport (IP, IPv6, L2TP, PPPOE, PPTP, SSTP) (!)

(Note that the WAN Miniports listed are each seperate, I just couldn't be bothered typing them all out on seperate lines.)

I have no idea where to get these drivers from or how to transfer them over to my laptop. I have tryed installing vista SP 1 or 2 (not sure) but it doesn't install fully, it will come up with an error like "Sorry windows could not install this etc" even after it has sat there for half an hour doing apparently nothing at all.

I have checked in the drivers folder and they are all there where they should be but no matter what I try I can't get them to work, and I am afraid of deleting them just in case there is something you beautiful TechSpot people could help with :)

Specs:
Hp Pavilion DV6500, Core 2 Duo T7100 @ 1.8ghz, 2gb ddr2 ram with Vista Home Premium 6.0.

I would really really appreciate it if any of you guys could point me in the right direction as far as fixing this damn thing.. Much internets to you

Thanks,
Jack.

Thank you!

But unfortunately, this did not work. I couldn't uninstall the drivers, no matter how many times i clicked uninstall they did not move off the list. I installed the ethernet driver though and now the wireless will attempt to networks but fail.

First, i'd suggest you try re-installing your chipset drivers.
Then try the network drivers again.

If the problem persists, report your problem devices this way please
  • First make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

You may have a defective component that normally runs with those drivers. Remove those first, then attempt another removal and reinstall.

Hi, As i am not on my windows computer i can't copy + paste the msinfo data

But for these devices there is an entry in the "problem devices" section of components.

Hamachi Network Interface: Root\Net\0000
Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface: root\*tunmp\0000

WAN Miniports
IP: root\ms_ndiswanip\0000
IPv6: root\ms_ndiswanipv6\0000
L2TP: root\ms_l2tpminiport\0000
PPPOE: root\ms_pppoeminiport\0000
PPTP: root\ms_pptpminiport\0000
SSTP: root\ms_sstpminiport\0000

for each of these listings there is;

"This device is not working properly because windows cannot load the drivers required for this device"

except for 1, the sstp miniport which instead of the above simply says "39"

And where would I find chipset drivers.

Thanks

You nearly always find the ChipSet drivers on the website of the motherboard manufacturer, or the website of the computer manufacturer. Update the BIOS before you download new chipset drivers... then update every other piece of hardware installed on your computer or used on your motherboard.

But unfortunately, this did not work.
Before fixing it, is the problem in hardware or software? Is the driver defective of some response from hardware causing the driver problem?

It is an HP. That means it has comprehensive hardware diagnostics - including one for the network interface. Load and execute those diagnostics. Diagnostics run without Windows. Therefore the diagnostic only tests hardware. What does it report?

Network cards have two halves. First is the interface between CPU and the NIC computer. Most of the diagnostics will check that. Second half is the interface between NIC computer and the world. That is usually the last diagnostic. Works best if the same program executes on another computer with the same NIC interface. Then both computers share information - test the interface between NIC computer and the ethernet cable.

If you have a hardware problem, it will probably appear in the interface between CPU and NIC computer.

If hardware works OK, only then move on to another suspect - the NIC driver or something else in Windows. What to do there can be more than just reloading the driver. Of course, you must remove all NIC drivers (and maybe reboot) before loading a new NIC driver.

Well, judging from the last post, people on techspot know their ****.

Naw it's definately not hardware-related. I'm pretty sure it was just the drivers, but at the moment I can use the computer to access the internet/download things etc

Still in device manager a few of the drivers are still (!)'s, but as long as the damn thing works I can't really complain.

By the way I noticed that it's a dv6543tx, not just a dv6500. Sorry for the mixup

Warning to any potential laptop-buyers, get an apple ;) This sort of thing is far easier to fix.

Still in device manager a few of the drivers are still (!)'s, but as long as the damn thing works I can't really complain.
There should be only one driver for the NIC. If you have multiple drivers, then that would explain strange failures. Remove that (!) marked drivers. Then reboot. The system should automatically find any needed drivers.

If you loaded a driver when another defective driver was still installed, then sometimes that can confuse the installation of a new driver leaving both intermittently unstable.

The answers are pretty much the same for all of the a dv6543tx... dv65xx series... and when they post the difference, you should be able to sort out the correct driver by reading the detail in the device manager, or on the component installed...
On the HP dv65xx, I have never seen it install the incorrect driver... If you install all those listed for the NIC, it will pick the correct one.

Hamachi Network Interface: Root\Net\0000
Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface: root\*tunmp\0000

WAN Miniports
IP: root\ms_ndiswanip\0000
IPv6: root\ms_ndiswanipv6\0000
L2TP: root\ms_l2tpminiport\0000
PPPOE: root\ms_pppoeminiport\0000
PPTP: root\ms_pptpminiport\0000
SSTP: root\ms_sstpminiport\0000
Note the device strings for each of devices you reported earlier. The start of each string is called the enumerator. I'd expect the enumerator for your physical hardware adapter to start as PCI\ or USB\ (depending on whether you have a PCI or USB bus attached network device).

On the other hand all your problem devices are root\ enumerated devices. Root\ devices are usually created by the software (vs. being enumerated by the hardware)

So i'm guessing at least part of your problem is you have some network software applications installed (that happen to come with their own drivers/filters) that are intefering with Windows networking. IN PARTICULAR: you must have some type of VPN (Virtual Private Network) software installed? Hamachi Network Interface?

I recommend you first start by carefully going through your Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs and check for and uninstall any networking software (in particular you must have VPN installed. Uninstall it) /* EDIT */ Ooops, just remembered you run Vista. i forget the control panel applet equivalent name to Add/Remove programs for Vista.. but look in it

/* EDIT */
I'd also clarify it's actually normal to have multiple drivers for the same device loaded onto any one machine. In fact, it's normal for Windows driver install process to first search for ALL the possible drivers on your system that are possible driver matches for a device and when all done searching the Windows device install algorithm numerically ranks each driver candidate to pick (what it thinks) is the best of the choices

Problems can occur if one of the drivers installed is buggy or corrupted or just doesn't work well with other drivers in the same Windows class. (In this case the device class=NET) See [post=755153]Plug and Play Overview: How Windows Finds Drivers for USB Devices[/post] which will give you the general idea behind the process

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back