How to reset Windows Vista password

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemantdhyani

Find below the steps to resolve Forgotten Logon Password in Windows Vista.

Prerequsite Windows Vista DVD

Using the Windows Vista DVD Boot to Win RE

Click Command Prompt option.

You get XSOURCES:
Change the prompt by typing C: and Enter

Now change the prompt by typing the commad:

CD Windows\system32
the Prompt should change to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

Once here we need to rename CMD.EXE and MAGNIFY.EXE files. For that the command is as below

ren cmd.exe cmd.old
ren magnify.exe cmd.exe
ren cmd.old magnify.exe

Restart computer

Click on Easy of Access centre left side bottom  Choose Magnify option  CMD window opens with the Prompt C:\Windows\System32

Type the command: net user administrator /active:yes

Now Restart the computer and on the logon screen click on Administrator and the system will logon.

Now go to Control Panel and User Account and click on the USER NAME for which the Password needs to be reset and REMOVE the password for that. Once that is done Click Start and type Magnify in Start Search and open it. You will get the CMD window and now we need to turn off the Administrator accounct

Type the command: net user administrator /active:no

Restart the computer and Boot to winRE Once there get to the Command Prompt and rename the files back to it original state.

Change the prompt by typing C: and Enter

Now change the prompt by typing the commad:

CD Windows\system32
the Prompt should change to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

Type the following to rename the files:

ren magnify.exe cmd.old
ren cmd.exe magnify.exe
ren cmd.old cmd.exe

Restart the computer and logon with the customers USER NAME and system logs on to without asking for password.

You may thing you're helping by giving the password reset information. And most likely anyone who wants to access a system and doesn't have the password will make use of the information.

But consider this: there is no way to verify the ownership or account of a person who has 'forgotten' their password. So anyone who wants access to a machine can drop by and give the story 'I forgot my password.'

I could quote at least one active computer help board where it is made clear that no help will be given for any password recovery or bypass, along with any license or key resets the reason is simple> ownership can't be verified!

Did they really forget it? Is it their machine? Is it a logon password that gives someone access to the entire operating system?

I am requesting that your post be removed. You are basically giving hack information.

EDIT: I want to make it clear that my comments were meant to be in the context of an online computer forum only. My apology if I didn't make that clear.

You may thing you're helping by giving the password reset information. And most likely anyone who wants to access a system and doesn't have the password will make use of the information.

But consider this: there is no way to verify the ownership or account of a person who has 'forgotten' their password. So anyone who wants access to a machine can drop by and give the story 'I forgot my password.'

I could quote at least one active computer help board where it is made clear that no help will be given for any password recovery or bypass, along with any license or key resets the reason is simple> ownership can't be verified!

Did they really forget it? Is it their machine? Is it a logon password that gives someone access to the entire operating system?

I am requesting that your post be removed. You are basically giving hack information.

You are mistaken. There are hundreds of legit reasons why a password would need to be reset. For many years I worked as a shop tech and I cannot count the number of times people brought desktops or workstations to me with a need to get its password reset for fear of losing their data or user accounts.

You're also neglecting the fact that not having a password to a Windows account does not at all prevent you from retrieving anyone's private data off it. If you physically own a system, short of an encrypted filesystem (which resetting the password will NOT bypass) there is nothing to prevent you from pilfering any data you want. So your argument that it could be used as such is a fallacy.

Thirdly, even Microsoft themselves offers knowledgebase articles on how to reset passwords. ANYONE can make use of them, and even paid Microsoft support will walk people through resetting a desktop password.

So, no, I don't think his post should be removed - it was informative, to the point, precise and of a helpful sort. He is not telling people how to use illegal tools to circumvent copy protection. He is demonstrating how you can use tools to accomplish something which any decent Windows technician needs to learn at some point.

There are hundreds of legit reasons why a password would need to be reset.

And I did not say there was not. I said resetting a password on an internet computer forum shouldn't be done.

Please see my Edit.

As for this comment:
For many years I worked as a shop tech and I cannot count the number of times people brought desktops or workstations to me with a need to get its password reset for fear of losing their data or user accounts.

Okay, and you knew it was their computer. You had a reasonable expectation that the person bringing the system in was the owner or family member- right?

And I did not say there was not. I said resetting a password on an internet computer forum shouldn't be done.

http://www.google.com/search?q=how+...ls=org.gentoo:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

2 million results found. Restricting such information from our forum will do absolutely nothing to stop a thief, and will be only more likely to deter a potential regular user from sticking to the forums, because instead of helping we turned them away - away to join the thousands of other forums that will help them.

Okay, and you knew it was their computer. You had a reasonable expectation that the person bringing the system in was the owner or family member- right?

Not any more than someone on an Internet forum is. You walk by car thieves, inside traders and con artists every day of your life. You don't know it because they have a smile on their face and shake your hand like anyone else.

You cannot afford to judge everybody. It is better to help who you can, even if it means there's a small chance you're helping someone do something bad. Being bitter about bad things on other forums won't do you any good - live and let live, and try not to be so harsh.

Well, I don't know that I've ever been judged to harshly for sticking to my own sense of values!

You've taken a lot of liberties Justin. You accused be of
Being bitter about bad things on other forums

You don't know me at all Justin.

This is a very bad idea to allow this kind of information publically.

We can not tell if the request comes from a Hacker or just Joe/Mary User who got into
trouble. I would direct just requestors to take the system to a local PC service company --
at least physical possession is known, but even then it might be a stolen laptop.

There's just no safe way to support this kind of request.

Restricting such information from our forum will do absolutely nothing to stop a thief,
However, like Prono, do we wish to be complicit in supporting it?
If a user knows how to find the information for him/herself, they have no need to come here for it, do they?

The contrary argument doesn't hold (ie naive user in trouble) as shown in post#9 above

dizzyturkey; I have removed the password reset tool you linked
It is in my opinion a very good thing to know the "hack" Hemantdhyani gave to reset the password
As others have said there are multiple reasons why this might be needed

But I would not condone using third party tools to do so, simply because we can't be sure what that tool might do (steal account info etc)

Good "time of the day", people. Interesting issue under discussion here: whether or not a MS Windows (average?) user should know how to reset the password.

Well yes, this information here can be misused. BUT...
But let's not forget: the Administrator password is NOT a protective measure for a STOLEN machine. It is a measure against SOFTWARE attacks mostly. Someone who's stealing the machine, knowing very well what he's after, won't go to YOU for advise, will he? Also, someone having long enough "illegal" access to it usually knows what he's doing.

Given the above, REAL good protection takes it into account, that the machine CAN be stolen. Period. If you don't mind, than you don't care about the possibility to reset the Admin pass as well.

However, normal innocent computer owners may need to reset the Admin password. Unfortunately, MS Windows is NOT asking you about a lot of things it is doing -- such is its design. Strange things, too, happen there on its own. A Windows user learns about them, as they come, he-he. So, the next thing advanced Windows user naturally needs to know is this -- how to reset the Admin password. Sorry guys, I didn't invent Windows; but I've been using it because it is my work.

Want to know a situation, when one may need to reset the Admin password? OK! Say, somebody's leaving the company, but wants to avenge himself on the boss and former colleagues. He resets the Admin pass and goes away. And YOU have to deal with the machine, where important data and applications are no more accessible...

And lastly, you can rely on the Microsoft professionals, who don't make a big secret out of it. Why don't they? Because, rather than being a "hacker information", it is a crucial SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION information.
IMVHO

Interesting issue under discussion here: whether or not a MS Windows (average?) user should know how to reset the password.

NO. That is not what I'm saying.

But you are absolutely right: the thing explained here falls under the category of "hacker tricks", because it is not what average user is EXPECTED to do.

... However, as the system itself does things it is NOT expected to do, one needs to learn such tricks sooner or later. And on the moral side of it: one thing is to know how to repair the lock on your own door, another thing -- to use that knowledge to crack into your neighbor's door.

On the other hand, when people know that resetting their Admin password is absolutely possible, then they are more alert to the security issues their systems can be exposed to. They may think then about more effective security measures, which are not too complicated nor too expensive to take. Like encryption, as mentioned above. Or -- portable hard drive. Or -- dozens of other solutions.

Good "time of the day", people. Interesting issue under discussion here: whether or not a MS Windows (average?) user should know how to reset the password.

... [snip] ...

it is a crucial SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION information.
All of the comment is nicely said - - well done :)

I've elected to choose such that:
  1. I will be the only possible admin EVER
  2. and to thus ensure that I and only I can perform the ADMIN functions under all circumstances.
In an infrastructure setting, both of these would be intolerable, but not for a personal laptop.

I've elected to choose such that:
  1. I will be the only possible admin EVER
  2. and to thus ensure that I and only I can perform the ADMIN functions under all circumstances.
In an infrastructure setting, both of these would be intolerable, but not for a personal laptop.
Your second point reminds me of a recent news article entitled "Exposed: Repair Shops Hack Your Laptops". It can be easily found on Sky News; but I can't post the link as my number of posts is too small :(.

I would like to introduce Windows Password Key 8.0 . it not only supports XP, 2000, and NT, I have personally tested it with Vista Home Premium and Ultimate. It creates a password recovery CD/DVD,USB Flash Drive for home, business and enterprise. It works perfectly to reset your Windows password.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back