Minidump help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

alkalvin

I've been having random crashes the last couple weeks, attached are the 3 minidumps that I have.Thanks.

Have read your minidumps, and it cites ntkrpamp.exe as the culprit for both (two of your minidumps were the same file). This can be caused by either memory corruption or software conflict, mostly driver related.

1. We will need more information on your machine, hardware specs, what software you are running including anti virus software.

2. To address the possible memory corruption, run the tool memtest on your RAM - heres a guide on how to get this going
Make sure you run it for at least 7 passes, generally most people leave the scan running overnight.

I'm familiar with Memtest86, I'll run it tonight while I'm asleep.

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
2.60 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
Board: Gigabyte . M61P-S3
AV =Nod32
Firewall=Online Armor
4 GB Patriot RAM( two 2 gig sticks with heat spreaders on them.)
Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC/QAM Combo

As far as software goes, I notice this has happened when I'm watching a video with PowerDVD.Sometimes I'll pause the video and look something up online and the machine freezes up, but that might be coincidence.
I also watch a lot of baseball using WinTV with PowerDVD paused.
I'm not running any CPU intensive programs.

Will be interesting to see what memtest brings back.

Could be a conflict with PowerDVD, what is your version?

Download the latest update
and see how that goes.

It seems some people have found issues with the older versions of PowerDVD and by updating or using a trial version of one of the newer versions, they solve the issue

Version 8.0.1730.50

I did the upgrade once, but there was some Moovielive feature that I didn't like and couldn't disable, so I uninstalled the upgraded version and went back to the version mentioned above.

A gentleman named Howard helped with a similar problem a year or so ago, but I lost my old login info and had to re-register.

It might help to try one of the trial versions of the newer releases and see if it still freezes.

You may have to uninstall the old PowerDVD first, possibly a reinstall could be good for it also

This would rule out this particular software

That probably would have been howard_hopkinso.
He helped many people, and it is a shame he had a falling out here.
Your old thread may still be here.

That probably would have been howard_hopkinso.
He helped many people, and it is a shame he had a falling out here.
Your old thread may still be here.

Actually, he helped me twice. It's a shame these internet squabbles happen to the detriment of communities.

Anyway, I searched for the old posts before I re- registered in hopes that it would enlighten me on what my login info was, but I was unable to locate any of them after sifting through about 15 pages , but anyway it's not important. This is a different problem, I'm sure.It might even be a different machine.

I had only made a total of maybe a dozen posts anyway, tops.

I started memtest on my main PC about 10 minutes ago. I'll post the results tomorrow.Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

After a lot of passes, I got consistant ECC correctable errors on Test 5.All other tests passed

Errors per memory slot
0: 163738
1: 81880

I have since run one pass one each DIMM seperately(1 in slot 0 by itself and 1 in slot 1 by itself) and they both passed.
I guess I'll have to run a long test tonight with one DIMM, then repeat with the other one the following night.

Update- both of my 2 gig sticks passed by themselves in both slot 0 and slot 1.

The failures only took place when they are both in there together.:confused:

Try running the machine with just one of the sticks and see if it freezes.

The actual motherboard may be having trouble dealing with both sticks. Sometimes a BIOS update can solve this problem

I ran Memtest with both sticks the entire weekend with no failures.

All I can conclude is that since this PC gets banged around a lot,one of the sticks had become slightly unseated, which caused the initial Memtest failures and that during my testing it was reseated properly.

I also ran a pencil eraser over the contacts to assure a good connection.

It's running fine. I've got a bunch of programs runnung and PowerDVD had no problems.

At this point I'm sticking with my previous conclusion- one of the DIMMS wasn't quite seated properly.

This is a nice computer, but it also doubles as my foot rest when I'm watching baseball :haha:

I tend to get a bit overexuberant when my team is losing, and since my team is the Nats, that is most of the time.:haha:

I guess I knocked one of the DIMMS loose during a loss.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back