Man used Limewire for identity theft

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DelJo63

I hope this scares you P2P users and gives you nightmares!

Hate to say it this way, but several of us at Techspot have been harping on the dangers of P2P usage and --- We Told You SO!

Quoting the Computerworld article by By Nancy Gohring
August 12, 2009 12:09 AM ET
A Seattle man was sentenced to more than three years in prison Tuesday for using the Limewire file-sharing service to lift personal information from computers across the U.S.

The man, Frederick Wood, typed words like "tax return" and "account" into the Limewire search box, Warma said. That allowed him to find and access computers on the Limewire network with shared folders that contained tax returns and bank account information.

Wood also searched specifically for forms that parents fill out to apply for college financial aid for their children, which include "exhaustive personal and financial information about the family," Warma said. He used the information to open accounts, create identification cards and make purchases.

"Many of the victims are parents who don't realize that Limewire is on their home computer," she said.

Warma's advice to people who want to avoid becoming victims of this kind of identity theft was to "get Limewire off your computers." Even the added security features in the most recent version can be circumvented, she said.

See the details here

Limewire is, like most software, only an issue in the hands of those who dont know what it is or how it works, people regularly ignore essential updates from microsoft and are then open to attack.

Limewire asks you if it can scan your drive for things to share,,, just say no, and then allocate one folder for files.

Its unfair to say that and i quote "I hope this scares you P2P users and gives you nightmares!
Hate to say it this way, but several of us at Techspot have been harping on the dangers of P2P usage and --- We Told You SO"

P2P is a tool just like any PC program, would you give a baby a gun ? i think not...but if your a child who doesnt understand the dangers then you probably wouldnt think it was dangerous.

The internet is full of scary things, things that can harm your pc by just going to a page.

I have been using P2P since its inception near enough and have never had any problems

P2P isnt installed by any PC manufacturer and can only be installed by downloadng it, if people allow their children free range of the PC and then suffer problems then all i can say is tough luck, learn to use a PC correctly, if you dont want to then expect problems, its a bit like car drivers (of both sexes) who dont know how to top up the oil, fluid etc, one day your gonna run into trouble..and whos to blame ?

Limewire is BS; just the same as Ares and Kazaa.

Bittorrent is the real deal IMO. If you are careful, it is nigh impossible to be affected by any serious malware.

Oh man, I guess everyone should uninstall their P2P applications pronto. They should stop using social networking sites, grocery shopping and using ATMs. In fact, the populous should just cower in their basements.

As it turns out, though, that's not even safe:

attachment.php

Fear mongering is fun.

Attachments

• 128799087871352690.jpg
    128799087871352690.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 57
P2P is every bit as dangerous as a ladder. We still use ladders though.

That allowed him to find and access computers on the Limewire network with shared folders that contained tax returns and bank account information.
By default, Limewire doesn't even share that stuff. You actually have to explicitly define folders outside of Limewire's download directory. It even warns you when you do -- It requires absolute, deliberate intent to share your personal documents.

I agree that P2P can be dangerous, but so are far more common activities, like driving, blind dates and buying things online. To scare people away based on consequences is silly, but to educate is wise.

Meh, the point is that no matter what corner you turn or what you're doing, whether it's brushing your teeth or chopping a vegetable, there's a possibility that the boogie man might get you. Why fret?

Everything in life has an implied risk; file sharing apps are no different. Downloading a song probably has less risk than walking across the street or being outside during a thunderstorm.

If someone isn't informed or bright enough to not share their personal data - I'd say they're more at fault than the technology. The technology is only an unbiased middleman.

Don't want your private data stolen via Limewire? Don't share it. Don't want to get hit by a train? Don't sleep on the railroad tracks. Quite simple, really.

*Edit*

Heh, exactly Rick. I have a cookie for you (it's not laced, I swear).

safety first

as you say Matthew "bingo"

matthew said:
Oh man, I guess everyone should uninstall their P2P applications pronto. They should stop using social networking sites, grocery shopping and using ATMs. In fact, the populous should just cower in their basements.

I agree with Matthew, only to add
duck and cover, put on SPF 80 or greater, bar the windows,install dead bolts,wear an athletic supporter with cup,look both ways, get in the southwest corner of the basement, and put your computing safety helmet. your ready to turn on your computer......now boot into safe mode.

Hey now

We have to use SPF 50 in my small country :p

We have a hole in our ozone layer, its like a barbecue party in the summer!

unquote

Rick TS Special Forces
Quote:
By default, Limewire doesn't even share that stuff. You actually have to explicitlydefine folders outside of Limewire's download directory. It even warnsyou when you do -- It requires absolute, deliberate intent to share your personal documents.

well if thats true and I have little doubt it is , then warnings on lawnmowers not to stick your hand in the blades when its switched on , is a waste of time on some .

. ...[ ]... then warnings on lawnmowers not to stick your hand in the blades when its switched on , is a waste of time on some .
Actually in today's America they are. In our society at present, no one is willing to take responsibility for their own actions. Teenagers get guns, murder one another, yet no parent is at fault. We raised him (or her) right, I simply don't understand how this happened. So we should sue gun manufacturers, right?

The whole file sharing concept is powered by greed, and sadly sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you.

You buy a lawnmoyer, stick your hand in it, and there's always some shyster you can hire as your advocate, and a sympathetic jury willing to reward you for your abundant carelessness and stupidity.

Witness our own "Introductions" forum. At the very top of the page, it states very plainly, "DO NOT POST QUESTIONS in this forum, INTRODUCTIONS only
Julio", Like in big capital letters! Now, did you think the problem is; people CAN'T read, won't bother to read, or simply believe that it doesn't really apply to them. Much in the same way as stop signs, red lights, and "no cell phones" signs don't seem to apply anyone, any more.

I kinda think that whatever happens to someone when in the course of prosecuting, with due diligence, their own stupidity, deserves every woe that befalls them. But then, I'm not a contingency fee lawyer.

well captain , you know thats where I saw said lawnmower with warning about losing fingers , when I was in the states and I remember thinking how nuts such an obvious warning was until my u.s. counterpart explained the reasons for such a sticker , if you tried to sue over here for losing your fingers you would be considered a twit or a chancer , but as to why people do these things anyway , well I guess people think nothing bad will ever happen to me and it doesn't really matter where I post my threads ,

when we have much more than we need its taken for granted

well if thats true and I have little doubt it is ,

Actually, it is true...
Yes, a long time ago, I too had Limewire installed. That being said, there is also Limewire PRO. Is that the software this guy used? Does the "PRO" version override anything?
Bottom line, when using any software, don't just "turn the key and drive", take a look at the settings/options to see what it's all about ;)

Originally Posted by Twister123 well if thats true and I have little doubt it is

I'm saying I believe its true all so , having little doubt means I have maybe 2% doubt and 98% belief its true , its just it amazes me even with warnings and everything he still went ahead.

I stopped using limewire a LONG time ago because of this. I realized just what could be done with such an open sharing program, and now I'm glad that I use Bittorrent.

@ yangly18
Bittorrent is far better than Limewire, yes, but don't think you're home free, there are still security vulnerabilities.
It's just the way it is with file sharing, you still need to be cautious.

But you do have to agree, although it is file sharing, and they can get your IP, etc. it is still alot more safe in the end. You get the link for the specific item you want to download online and that's all you get....unless they add in malware/spyware, then you're f**ked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back