New Build Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritwik7

I'm building a new rig for a friend. He's always been inclined towards Intel and nVidia. However, I'm posting these two options. Would like everyone's opinion.

Intel Build:

CPU : Intel E8400
Motherboard : ASUS P5Q3

AMD Build:

CPU : AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE
Motherboard : ASUS M4A78T-E

Common Peripherals:

GPU : GTX260 / HD4850 / HD4870 (Friend wants to keep it between the GTX260 and the HD4870 but I'm throwing in the 4850 as well.)
RAM : 4GB DDR3 (1333 MHz in all probability; Transcend / Xion / Kingston)
PSU : Cooler Master RP-600-PCAR 600W (This choice is based on availability. Other brands are almost impossible to locate in my city.)
Cabinet : Cooler Master CM690

Which build in your opinion is a better choice if gaming is the primary purpose? Also would like your inputs on the GPU and anything else that you think.

Thanks.

The Intel combo looks overpriced and is inferior in performance to the AMD one.

For the video card, it depends on what resolution we are talking about. For 1680x1050 and higher, go for an HD 4870 or GTX 260, whichever is cheaper. For lower resolutions, go for the HD 4850.

Everything else looks fine. The PSU is not too great though; I would not recommend running an HD 4870 on one of those. Try looking for something else. What brands are available in Calcutta?

Well Rage, tough to say. I've found out that the OCZ Vendetta II CPU cooler is available with one particular vendor. So, I'm assuming OCZ might be an option. (Being Optimistic.) :)

Hey again Rit,
here are some benches for ya
watch it match the I7 920 in the game benches (overclockers club)
and it beats up pretty good on the E8400 in most benches, including those that Intel has traditionally had the upper hand. and what Moiz said price/performance AMD hands down........in my humble opinion LOL been up all night with sick kid...gettin punchy

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/phenomii_720_810_am3/
http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/processors/AMD_Phenom_II_X4_810_X3_720_1.html

What is your budget for the PSU? Look here for a good selection of PSUs. I recommend ordering the 650TX, if the budget allows for it. Otherwise, I recommend the 450VX.

lol hk ive gone at least 2 months thinking you had one. I do have a video of my neighbor oc'ing one to 5.1ghz on liquid helium if you want to see it. I havnt had a reason to upload it to youtube or another source because the triple core kind of goes under the radar, no amd detection!

super, well if Hk doesn't want to see it, i would like to. I own one of those fine fine cpu's

super, well if Hk doesn't want to see it, i would like to. I own one of those fine fine cpu's
Well I do actually want to see o.o.
And no, I don't have one :(, notice my system specs have been the same for like a year+.

Well I do actually want to see o.o.
And no, I don't have one :(, notice my system specs have been the same for like a year+.

I figured you did HK :) i hope you do get one , your the one that drew my attention to the awesomeness of the X3 720 :grinthumb LOL

I think they should give you one for as many as you've sold here :)

lol red I agree, HK has been the triple core main selling point here on TS. I swore she had one, @ HK, do you have one or have a system that's capable, my brother has two he tested with results over at extreme overlockers.net. If you can upgrade via bios update let me know, out father does business fedex shipping, ill send you one, if you can use it, but ONLY if you can use it.

I figured you did HK :) i hope you do get one , your the one that drew my attention to the awesomeness of the X3 720 :grinthumb LOL

I think they should give you one for as many as you've sold here :)

Btw red I finished some benchmarks that you want, sandrasoft, everest(more like validaded screenshots), pcmark vantage, and a few others, pm me for other request on the 920

Btw red I finished some benchmarks that you want, sandrasoft, everest(more like validaded screenshots), pcmark vantage, and a few others, pm me for other request on the 920

hey wonderful super, thank you , i will do that.
and thats great HK you will be part of the X3 720 club, i can teach you how to overclock it....:haha::p im kidding im kidding

HK doesn't have one??? I was sold on the fact that she did! :)

Anyway, the AMD it shall be.

Thanks a lot everyone for the help.

@ Rage : The 650TX will be way over the budget. The 450VX might still work if its available in Calcutta. But will a 450 Watt suffice? I'd also like to know what's wrong with the Cooler Master PSU as I own one myself. Am I liable to face any particular problems?

Thanks again.

Well...for some reason everyone seems to think I had a X3 720 :confused:. Anyway I don't O.o.
The 450 should be enough i'm pretty sure.

The 450VX is a stellar PSU. The Cooler Master has questionable build quality, and is rated for 600W output at 25C, which is nigh-impossible inside a casing. So it may very well put out 450-500W under normal conditions.

I've got the cash Red!!! Waiting to go and get it sometime next week. :)

Would be my first time OCing so feel a li'l nervous. :D

Almost thought of getting 2 more Gigs of RAM and junk the cooler, but quickly chucked that idea. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back