Memory Issues on Chaintech S1689 MB

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJShoreguy

I just purchased 4 gb of PNY DDR PC3200 400Mhz Dual Channel Ram for my
motherboard, to replace the 2gb of Corsair Ram I had.

First off, if I install all 4 sticks, it only sees 3 on the boot up. It lists the 3gb as Dual Channel.

Second, it gets as far as the Windows XP screen before the desktop
launches, and does not boot any farther. Reading up on the motherboard
at various memory sites, it states this board can handle 4gb of Dual
Channel memory. The PNY that I bought for it is supposed to work in it.

If I remove 1 stick of memory, it boots up to the desktop and sees the 3
gb and lists it as Single Channel.

Is there anything I can do to make it see all 4gb as Dual Channel and
boot completely to the desktop?

I've tried swapping to other slots. Is there a setting somewhere in the Bios that I'm missing?

Please let me know if anyone has an answer. I tried to find a support page for Chaintech, but it seems as if they no longer have one.

Might help to note a few specs:

Running Windows Media Center 2005 SP3.

The motherboard is my Chaintech S1689. AMD 64 4800 Dual Core processor. It originally had 2 gigs of Corsair PC3200 400 CL2 DDR ram installed.

That motherboard may have a defective 4th memory slot. I recently had a Gigabyte board with the same problem. It ran fine with 3 modules, but it wouldn't "see" the 4th

Sev, I don't think he can do this because slot 0 or 1 needs to be occupied for the computer to boot at all. Also, slot 0 and 2 and 1 and 3 have to be occupied for dual channel operation

hrmm that is an issue then, well try to leave one in slot 0 or 1 and then test other slots to see if it works then?

32 bit operating systems are limited to 3.25 gb of ram. you will not be able to use any thing above that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back