How to migrate old user profile to new user profile? Vista Home Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.

montejw360

I would like to create a new user and migrate all data/settings/etc. from an existing user to the new user, on the same computer. Reason is some conflicting names between some computers on the same network and a Windows Home Server.

I tried changing the name of the user, but that doens't change the name of the profile. That created some confusion with Remote Desktop. Seems that even though I changed the user name, I had to log on via Remote Desktop using the old user name.

I've read about a method of creating the new user, logging on then off, logging on as the old user and just copying all the files from one user to the other after turning on show system and hidden files, etc. That doesn't migrate any settings I wouldn't think, only files. And another problem is there isn't enough hdd space to copy the profile, not sure what to do other than get a larger hdd, which I could do if totally needed.

I looked at the USMT, a little, but it looked like a lot of work for what I was doing.

I've also seen a 21 step method by Joshua Mouch which still involved copying the files.

Is there a way to just change the user name and then change the profile name that coincided with that user? That way no files are copied or moved, just changing the profile name associated with that user.

edit: I just found this, does this really work? That's all I want to do, change the user name and have that profile name match the user name.

1. Delete or rename the profile folder under the users profile folder location
2. locate the key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

and remove the subkey that contains the reference to the profile in question

3. reboot and login as the user this will create a new profile instance

Thanks,
Monte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back