Microsoft to release source code for Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Microsoft confirmed today that its Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool had indeed contained open-source code -- but it wasn't intentional. As first suspected by the blog Within Windows, Redmond had contracted the project to a third party, and simply didn't catch the code during its review process.

Microsoft has gone a step further, conducting a review of other code provided through the Microsoft Store -- though, the company didn't find any other offenders. The software giant said it will reintroduce the tool to the Microsoft Store next week, and will also disclose its source code as well as the binaries in compliance with the General Public License (GPL v2).

The company pulled its Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool earlier this week after being accused of using code from a utility called ImageMaster in a way that violated the GPL v2.

Permalink to story.

Good Job Microsoft. You made a mistake...you investigated, owned up to the mistake and now honor GPL and release the source code.

MS gets a lot of greef and compalints but they deseve cudos when they do the right thing

I also think that this is a very friendly approach but no reason for ovations! They still violated the GPL!

Guest said:
I also think that this is a very friendly approach but no reason for ovations! They still violated the GPL!

True but not on purpose, and when they madeaware of the issue they acted acordingly. Companies violate licenses all the time (like apple for instance) not everyone honour the licens this fast and does the right thing though.

The Microsoft of old is in the past, yes they are still a greedy corporation, but find me one that isn't.

Yes, the old Microsoft is gone, now when the violate the GPL they actually own up to it. Good job guys.

Then you truly have no idea of what it takes to run a business. I pray that you were joking.

Do you think it is impossible to release source AND still make business? Heh **** the licences, I am a programmer do you want all of of my code? Its no cost for me you use it! Here is it as Public Domain and on the other hand I have never paid for a software. It is better to sell services not the software itself. With software you can not compare cost to end user vs cost to develop the piece of code unlike most of other things. Have a nice day

Then you truly have no idea of what it takes to run a business. I pray that you were joking.

RedHat publish the sources of all their Linux distributions. Do you seriously think they do not run a business? I was not joking and if you believe I am a fool, read the statistics about the OS used on the TOP500 super-computers here (90% run Linux).

Have a nice day.

njel

As long as you can make Apple release any source code too. LOL (Good luck with that dream)

BTW: "RedHat publish the sources of all their Linux distributions. Do you seriously think they do not run a business?"

Redhat only does this because it has to do it, seeing most of what it's selling is taken from open source Linux anyway. The Redhat version of Linux isn't that good or special anyway so why you'd want to buy their crap when better free versions are available is beyond me. (If you need support you shouldn't be using Linux anyway IMO).

I won't tell you the truth about Santa then I guess. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back