-=( Techspot SETI @ HOME team )=- going BOINC

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitAlex

Hello all Techspot crunchers.

As you may know, S@H is changing the way all the crunching will work, so please read some important information HERE

Shortly said, all your "old" work units will be saved to a separate stats place and when you will switch to BOINC clients, everybody will be starting from ZERO !!! A new way of calculating the credit is also used in this version.

The new homepage of our team can be reached HERE

At the moment, I downloaded the new client but it says that there is no work for the project, so don't hurry yet...

By the way, in order to switch to BOINC you have to get a user ID from your old seti account, so activate it HERE

On last thing, the client is reporting some performance and hardware related information to SETI, so if you are a privacy paranoiac, be careful. (Reporting IP, domain name, computer name, CPU, OS, RAM, HDD and client uptime percentage)

Someone post as soon as work is available - I'll start switching over then :)

I activated my account & it allready downloaded a few units for me to crunch. I think I'm gonna stick to SETI classic for now (especially since I have to keep running away from Goalie...).

I'm a bit confused guys, are we doing both seti and UD cancer research? Should we just pick one and run with it?

It's your choice ! Some run both (UD on some machines and SETI on others), some just run one of them

Well, BOINC downloaded and account activated.
Now I'm just waiting to conclude my cache of WU for the old SETI before I try it out.

(Though I might stick with the old client a while longer since I've at least got some units done there, and won't be at the bottom of our team ;))

I downloaded it also but no work available so it is to the classic I go. I don't liket he new one. I don't like change much. :)

There is supposed to be a new CLI available but you need Visual Studio .NET to compile it as there aren't any builds available. I like the idea behind BIONC but I'll wait for it to be a bit more mature before I do the switch.

Well, it didn't like my user id (but the log shows a server error), so I'm staying with classic for now (which too is down right now)...

I finally got a project in the new one. I stopped the old client long enough to let this one run through. Let's see how it goes. :)

I've tried, but now I can't get any WU's in either classic or boinc, so I've given up for the time being.

Three all day meetings and then one week vacation.
After that though, I'll try to get one of them to work :)

Yeah novice, if you check the second page you will see my results too, d_broncofan, I have switched all my computers over today.

Well, just booted up boinc to see what would happen, and don't you know it finally decided to work :)

Now I'll just have to see if it'll keep working when I'm gone, or if it'll be satisfied with the 3 WU's it had earlier today....

Hmmm... I created an account, but I cant get to the link to join the tech spot team, the link is not working for me.

No, Mr G i can not access the link, it does not respond.

I can not search for a team or anything either. I can not get any more work, do you have to do something to get work?

What is the teams name? tech spot?

July 13, 2004
Sorry folks, we ran into a cascade failure, our database server hung and had to be forced to terminate before it could be used again, which then required several hours to check all the tables and indexes, after that issue was resolved we ran into problems with our Network Attached Storage device. Additional fixes may occur throughout the night and possibly tomorrow.
Looks like they are having problems again. I found that at this link: http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/

STK - The team's name is techspot (no space between tech and spot)

For those of you having trouble with the BOINC client.. according to setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu the problem isn't that there is no work, just there is high demand and the RPC Scheduler can't handle it.. they're bringing machines up as they can, plus more splitters to handle the workload (They at one point had a 300,000 unit cache, were creating 12 units per hour or, and were handing them out 10,000 per hour.)

Keep force updating it, as well as letting it sit there, it'll eventually get the data.

For those poor folks like me on dialup, be sure to go into the BOINC preferences webpage and tell it to save at least X days of work to cache for ya.

The stats link probably should be setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu, not setiboinc....

I'll look into it when I get a few more minutes later on tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back