BSoD at Windows XP Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axed

Hi, I tried to turn on my computer today but it quickly went to BSoD. I wasn't worrying too much about it because I get them occasionally, but unfortunately every time at startup it happens, regardless of whether I try to do it an any type of Safe Mode, Normal Mode, or the last known good configuration.

I also unplugged my wireless adapter for the internet but that didn't help.
Unplugging the receiver for my wireless mouse & keyboard didn't help either.

I can get into Windows Recovery but I don't know what to do from there.

It's an HP desktop running Windows XP, not new but not tragically old.

Oh, and this is the error that I get on the BSoD:
STOP: 0x0000007E (0XC0000005, 0X000042CA, 0XF8A4E548, OXF8A4E244)

Is your system eventually able to load to desktop?

Your error is 0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues.

If you are able to get to the desktop then check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information and pay particular attention to Yellow Triangles with Exclamation marks and especially Red Xs.

No. I'm charging my phone via my computer, which means it has to be on, so it's just been sitting at the BSoD for a while now.

Could anybody tell me if I could possibly fix this via Windows Recovery?
I did chkdsk /r and /p but that didn't help.

Bump?

The Geek Squad guy told me I'd need the CD that I can't find, but I refuse to believe him.

i had a HP desktop. When I was having difficulties with it, i just system restored it.

it erases every data in your computer, and it will be like when you just bought your computer.

i didn't have anything important to lose in my computer, so i just used system restored every time i had a BS or bunch of viruses

Okay, for clarification: You can't load to the desktop, correct?

Have you tried Safe Mode?

He said that it gives a BSOD even when booting in Safe Mode.

At what point does it produce a BSOD? Before POST? After POST? As soon as it turns on?

She, but it's alright. ;)

And what happens is that it gives me the option of what OS to mount, XP or Windows Recovery, then gives me the option of what mode to run. Safe, normal, etc. Then if it try to go through normal mode, it goes to a black screen for a split second, then a lighter black screen, then attempts to show the Windows XP logo screen, but only for less than a second before the BSoD.

Let's get pro-active by running Memtest on your RAM to check for corrupted memory. I am not saying this is your issue but this is a solid diagnostic test that begins engaging the moment your sytem boots up. In other words, It starts long before the Windows load screen even starts.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. It has been often mistaken that after the 8 tests are completed (which equals one full Pass) that the test is simply repeating the same thing over again; but this is not true. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

Oi, that means that I'll need to find/buy some CDs to burn the program on.

And I edited my previous post to what actually happens when I turn the computer on, if that changes anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back