Join us for a gaming get-together on Saturday, May 8

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff
As some of you are aware, we have an official TechSpot Steam group, which was created nearly three years ago by longstanding community member Didou. Unfortunately, it's mostly inactive with around 20 members, and we can't help but imagine the fun we're missing out on by not gaming with all of you.

Going forward, we intend to create a small hangout outside of TechSpot -- a home away from home, if you will. In addition to regularly gaming sessions, we plan to give away games and more. We'll be announcing further details on that in the future, but for now, we want to host a small shindig and we need your help for the planning.

As it stands, we have a few things set in stone:
  • The event will take place on Saturday, May 8 around 5PM EDT
  • It will be hosted on Steam and thus only involve games on that platform
  • At least three TechSpot staff members will be playing

If you're interested in participating, please join the TechSpot Steam group and reply to this post with the following information:

• Confirm that you will be available May 8
  • Share your Steam name so we know who's who
  • List a couple of games you think would be best for group play

Hello,

My name is Adhmuz? well not really, my real name is Alex but at least they both have the first letter?
My steam name is also Adhmuz, thought you'd never guess.
As for games, well I have a very large library on steam, most of the new games and a lot of older games, some third party games along with non steam games that are online but don't really qualify.
As for my availability, I will be hosting a Lan party in my basement that same night so I think I could get a bunch of guys into whatever game happens to be played. Also worth noting is the party I am having the night before that will likely leave me very hungover, I think the best way is to play this by year.

I'm sure this will update and progress as the week goes by.

Thats all for now.

That sounds fantastic Adhmuz, we'd be glad to have your buddies join in.

In thinking about potential titles, it seems best that the game is both affordable and relatively modest in hardware requirements. It will also have to support a fair number of players.

Something that immediately comes to mind is Team Fortress 2. Most people probably have TF2 and it's only $20 ($30 with the Orange Box), it has extremely mild requirements, and it supports 30+ players.

I am already a member of the TechSpot group on steam with the same name "Skitzo_Zac".

As some of you are aware, we have an official
  • The event will take place on Saturday, May 8 around 5PM EST
According to my calculations that would be 7AM Sunday the 9th for me here in Oz. So depending on what I am doing that Saturday and how long you are playing games for I might make an appearance.

As for games I have a few recent multiplayer games on and off steam:
Team Fortress 2, Counter Strike: Source, Call of Duty 4 (dedicated servers anyone?), Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Left 4 Dead (first one).

Otherwise I think it's great that TS is reaching out to it's members and trying to make the community better, I hope this is a success.

I'll try to make an appearance as well. My username is LNCPapa and all I've got on Steam is Orange Box and L4D.

I'm down to play a few games with some fellow Techspot members. For games i nominate Counter strike: Source

I am already a member of the TechSpot group on steam with the same name "Skitzo_Zac".

According to my calculations that would be 7AM Sunday the 9th for me here in Oz. So depending on what I am doing that Saturday and how long you are playing games for I might make an appearance.

As for games I have a few recent multiplayer games on and off steam:
Team Fortress 2, Counter Strike: Source, Call of Duty 4 (dedicated servers anyone?), Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Left 4 Dead (first one).

Otherwise I think it's great that TS is reaching out to it's members and trying to make the community better, I hope this is a success.

As for dedicated server, i'm willing to set up the COD4 server, as if i can get it to work :)

• I will be able to make it on Saturday, May 8
  • My steam name is (ƑýǤ) Jon (Tanid)
  • And I recommend TF2 for the mods, different play styles, and it can hold a decent amount of people per server. Maybe gta iv?

Welp folks, the way things are shaping up, Team Fortress 2 really seems like the way to go as almost everyone has it. If you don't currently own the game but would like to participate in the event, please post here anyway.

We will randomly select two members on Thursday, May 6 and purchase copies of Team Fortress 2 for those individuals.

Since we waited to settle on a game, we admittedly overlooked a crucial detail going into this: a game server. We still have a week to configure or otherwise procure a server, however, if anyone happens to have one set up and is willing to host the event, please post here or message me so we can get things squared away.

Now this is a really cool idea. I've never played online before and I'm afraid I'd be so bad that people would just frag me to get me out of the way. :D

Still, a really great idea.

:) Several of us have barely (if ever) played TF2 so you wouldn't be alone in that respect, Route44. We'd be delighted to have you along if you're available and interested.

I'll give it a shot (never tried online play, but have played on LAN mostly Q3/UT/ or some RTS titles). So may be giving a try to TF2 is in order :) Anyway I've joined the group, sadly my forum name wasn't available on steam so I ended up using the older incarnation of it.

Yeah I'm keen. I better get the coffee prepared for the 7am start (Australia as well as Skitzo_Zac)

I'd like to play TF2. If anyone else is up for the idea of vanilla TF2 or at least, TF2 without the solly/demo update I will cry like a school-girl out of joy :)

Arena anyone?

Thank you everybody for your feedback so far, hopefully this will mark the beginning of more events that go beyond visiting the site. After all many of you have been part of our community for years now.

I will be joining you next Saturday, but don't worry I've barely touched TF2 since I bought The Orange Box a long, long time ago. I mostly played Portal and then forgot about it.

Matt and I will keep you posted about further details in this thread.

I'm in the same boat as Julio - I haven't played any TF2 - just played through portal and about 5 hours of L4D and I've had Orange Box and L4D for some time now.

Thank you everybody for your feedback so far, hopefully this will mark the beginning of more events that go beyond visiting the site. After all many of you have been part of our community for years now.

I will be joining you next Saturday, but don't worry I've barely touched TF2 since I bought The Orange Box a long, long time ago. I mostly played Portal and then forgot about it.

Matt and I will keep you posted about further details in this thread.

How could that supposed to help us? How can we know if you are capable to owns our butts? :p

@Zac, no problemo. I'm down for TF2 as well.

Hi there,

my name is chris but when I went to school I had 11 chris's in my class so we all got called by our last names so call me burt! :)

My name on steam is Burty117 and I absolutely love tf2 and if you go onto the tbr clan servers I'm in the top fifty rank wise which I'm fairly proud of.

I also have a fairly large steam libary with plenty of games such as fear 2, cs:source, mass effect etc...

I would love to play with you guys on Saturday,

my girlfriend is away with her parents that weekend aswell so perfect date, I live in england and I guess when you say 5pm that like early morning morning for me?

I'm currently away but will be back home tomorrow to add to your steam page,

Look forward to shooting you then!

Cheers,

burty

This is a great idea, get some community fraggin on and change that inactiveness of the TS Steam group!

I'm definitely down to join you guys in some TF2 fun. My Steam name is Relic same as here, a gaming tag I've been using for about a decade now. While I'm on Steam often I don't have a huge game collection mainly want to keep it for Valve games or something I find for 5-10 bucks :) . So TF2/L4D/HL2DM are pretty much my only steam multiplayer games atm. I really need to buy L4D2 sometime :eek: .

Since the get-together is around 5PM which is 3PM my time (MST) I might be late depending on what's going on for me so just a heads up.

Back