NTFS.sys crash in Win 7 and other BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Streetor

I recieve many different BSOD while playing World of Warcraft. I ran my RAM through multiple passes of Memtest and received zero errors so I think that is not the problem.

I also tried driver verification and received some IO BSOD when using it. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is an upload of some dmp files.

Attachments

• 060110-24211-01.zip
    163.3 KB · Views: 1
Sorry, I did not see the BSOD forum. If someone could delete this one and move my dump files to the other thread in the BSOD forum I would appreciate it.

I really need to go to bed but I did manage to read your minidumps. Unfortunantly all gave Windows OS drivers as the cause and these are too general to be of much help in diagnosing your issue. OS drivers more point to the fact you have a problem rather than telling us who the culprit is.

Question: Is it only when you are playing WoW that the BSODs occur?

If you have not udpated your video card drivers then...

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions; make sure the version will work with your OS) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

*** Also, find the make of your harddrive, go to the manufacture's website, download and burn to a CD their free harddrive diagnostic utility and run both short and long tests. Get back to us with the results.

Yes, the BSOD only happen while playing WoW (unless I use the driver verifier then it happens upon startup)

And the video drivers are current.

Memtest passed with 5 passes with the RAM. Also, the short and long tests on the HDD both passed.

These are the most recent BSOD while playing the game over the last couple days. However, the very most recent one occurred while I was reinstalling the game.

Attachments

• 060310-24960-01.zip
    116.4 KB · Views: 1
This error code on one of your dumps appears to be the most significant: 0x101: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
The CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT bug check has a value of 0x00000101. This indicates that an expected clock interrupt on a secondary processor, in a multi-processor system, was not received within the allocated interval.

The following actions might prevent an error like this from happening again:

Download and install updates and device drivers for your computer from Windows Update.
Scan your computer for computer viruses.
Check your hard disk for errors.

The specified processor is not processing interrupts. Typically, this occurs when the processor is nonresponsive or is deadlocked.

0x101 = CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT = 1 of the CPUs is not processing interrupts and times out. I don't have much to offer you on the hardware end, but if software related it would be a "deadlock" situation. A deadlock occurs when a non-executing thread has an exclusive lock on a resource object and the executing thread needs that resource - which it will never get. A stand-off ensues - and 61 clock-ticks later the CPU throws in the towel. Result = 0x101 BSOD.

For whatever reason WoW is not liked. Try this: roll back your video card drivers. it has worked for many people.

I rolled the video drivers back yesterday after my most recent BSOD but I have yet to test them inside the actual game. That watchdog time out was the very first time I've ever had that happen because most of the time they are page faults or IRQ errors.

Aside from the one that just happened, which I learned was connected to a network driver (I was downloading and surfing while reinstalling the game so maybe my comp didn't like that) these BSODs occur only while playing WoW, only after playing for an extended period of time (>hour), and only in what are known as instances (dungeons).

It is not an overheating issue because according to speedfan the GPU is around 65 degrees while the game runs.

Along with the BSOD crashes I also have had a lot of in game crashes. After reading up on it I decided to replace my 4gig GSkill sticks with a couple of my older Corsair dominator RAM sticks. I read that people who swapped out their memory had their problems solved so I'm hoping that will do it. I'm going from 4Gig to 2Gig so everything is taking longer to load up but if this is the root cause and it fixes it I'll be happy.

Along with the BSOD crashes I also have had a lot of in game crashes. After reading up on it I decided to replace my 4gig GSkill sticks with a couple of my older Corsair dominator RAM sticks. I read that people who swapped out their memory had their problems solved so I'm hoping that will do it. I'm going from 4Gig to 2Gig so everything is taking longer to load up but if this is the root cause and it fixes it I'll be happy.

Corsair and G.Skill both make great RAM. I forget, what OS are your running?

Windows 7....like the thread title says.

Anyway I played a session today with no in game or BSOD crashes yet. I probably won't know if this worked for awhile. My old mobo got fried shortly before I updated to Win 7 and I got a new Mobo. It may just be the RAM wasn't compatible and couldn't handle the game (or something).

DUH-me! Anyway, I am wondering if your motherboard doesn't like the 4 gig RAM configuration. This happens a lot. Were your four gigs 2x2 or 4x1?

There are only 2 ram slots so the 4 gigs was 2x2.

My old mobo had 4 ram slots but I only used 2 of them. Even with my old mobo, there was a crash every now and then in game but there were never any BSOD or nothing like the amount of crashes I am getting now in game.

But that was on XP. After my old mobo got fried I just decided to wipe my HDD and do a clean install of Win 7

Hey! I'm here with an update. Since switching out my RAM I have had zero BSOD or in game crashes over the last week. I'm pretty sure this problem has been solved. I just need to figure out if it was faulty RAM or incompatability that caused this problem even though Memtest had zero problems on the other RAM.

This is the RAM that was causing the problems.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

this is the RAM that does not cause problems.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145043

If any advice could be given then I'd appreciate it because I'd like to have 4gig of RAM on the computer but I don't want it to crash again.

Both sets of RAM are top notch. What is the make and model of your motherboard? Can you link us to it?

I checked the Gigabyte "Memory Support List" for your motherboard found under the download tab. Corsair was mentioned under the 1066 specification but not G.Skill. This is not to say it is an exshaustive list.

Contact Gigabyte's tech support via email and ask them specifically about this particular G.Skill and this motherboard and if it is recommended.

Still, if your PC was running quite fine with the G.Skill other than WoW that is strange indeed and a shame since 4 gigs is better.

* Keep us updated. Would love to know what Gigabyte says.

Gigabyte just asked what model RAM it was and if the BIOS matched the RAM specifications (which it did).

I provided them a link to the RAM so I don't think they gave the question much thought.

Yeah, it doesn't seem that way though I believe they are answering you in a round about way. As I posted earlier their lists are not exshaustive in scope which is why they asked if your RAM and BIOS specifications matched.

They did and I have a feeling Gigabyte believes they've answered your inquiry. The problem is if it matches then why the issue with G.Skill?

I'm not sure. Now I don't know if I should buy more RAM or not.

If I do, it'll probably try the same type I have but with 2x2GB sticks.

Yes, 2x2 is the way to go. For some reason a number of motherboards do not like a 4x1 configuration. Why? I don't know.

Streetor if you ever find out the conflict or discover a work around we'd love to know it. It would also add to the knowledge pool. It is certainly perplexing and you have a nice system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back