GTA IV performance with HD5450

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will_m

Hey guys, apologies if this should be in gaming instead, I've just got a new graphics card and also updated GTA IV with the latest patch from windows live. The problem I'm having is terrible performance. With my old card (HD4670) I could play the game just fine but after downloading the update and putting in the new card the game runs like its in slow motion, completely unplayable. The in game benchmark reports 6fps this is with everything set to its lowest.

I thought there might be a problem with the update so I reinstalled GTA from the dvd and performance was much better although there were a number of lockups. After looking around the net it seems that other people can play gta 4 just fine with the same card:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH5Zj2HeL0g

I know the HD5450 isn't the greatest card but I thought it capable of light gaming. The only other game I own is Half Life 2 Ep 1, which runs flawlessly on the highest settings.

Is there a problem with the GTA 4 for anyone else or is the card simply not up to it? I find this odd though as others seem to be able to use it for gta 4 just fine.

Specs are as follows:
i7 920 - Stock
12GB OCZ Ram
ATI Sapphire HD5450 512mb (passive)

The HD 5450 will not get you decent performance, especially not with GTA4. GTA 4 is said to be both CPU and GPU hungry.

The HD 5450 will not get you decent performance, especially not with GTA4. GTA 4 is said to be both CPU and GPU hungry.

I understand performance will not be outstanding but surely on the lowest settings it should be playable. The link I provided proves that it is playable on that card. I also find it odd that I was getting almost acceptable performance before the update and now its really not.

Also inside the game is a counter to show how much of the GPU memory you are using etc and mine isnt even 2/3 full.

Did you uninstall your previous drivers and install the latest Catalyst drivers? If not, then do so.

The HD 4670 is quite a bit better than the HD 5450 (which is basically an HTPC card). Check out a few benchmarks online. The HD 4670 performs almost three times better than the 5450.

I don't understand you have enough money to get an i7 with 12gb's of ddr3 ram yet you only buy a 5450 for gaming.
Sorry to go off topic,it's just that it doesn't make sense to me.

I understand performance will not be outstanding but surely on the lowest settings it should be playabl

No it wont...and stop calling me shirley...ahem, anyway the 5450 is just what Rit said it was an HTPC card. Its one step above Integrated graphics. consider the HD 5670 which is a modest gaming card at best. it has 400 SPU's to the mere 80 SPU's of the 5450. There is nothing wrong with the patch for GTA IV, it needs much more than the 5450 to play it. I suspect you got it because it is of the 5000 series, But its not going to handle many games post 2005. and its DX11 in theory only, not in practice.

I understand what your saying guys, but as I say I've seen example of people playing the game just fine on that card. It also doesn't explain the drastic difference in performance between the patch version and the dvd version.

Also when I run the inbuilt benchmark tool the performance of that sequence is far better than actual gameplay, is that meant to be the case?

@BMfan - The build is for music creation so I was just going for a card that would be silent and low power consumption, it's by no means a gaming build but I was hoping to do some light gaming in between takes etc.

I see what you are saying but as RitWik7 said the 5450 isn't a gaming card,your 4670 was much better for gaming.

GTA 4 plays terrible even on some mid/high end cards, due to the fact that it's a console port.

Oh also not sure if this is significant but the menus are also extremely slow to navigate, in that I'll press a key and 2 seconds or later it will move.

If your applying new settings that would make sense.

@slh28, yea GTA IV is a funky game on PC, very CPU dependent for some reason.

yeah true, i have E4600 with 9500gt, i get like 22fps at 1440x900...i believe its my cpu that limiting the performance in gta iv, cuz i tried a friend's 9800gt in my pc and that made no difference at all

If your applying new settings that would make sense.

@slh28, yea GTA IV is a funky game on PC, very CPU dependent for some reason.

The menus are all slow even when not altering graphics based settings, this is with everyhting on low, resolution is set at 1680x1050.

hmm thats wweird....its an i7....try lowering the res and see if the menus are still slow

well he's using i7 920 with 12gig of RAMs. i don't think his CPU will be a problem, unless it doesnt perform at max speed which is unlikely (power saver).

somehow i suspect his card is the DDR2 version, instead of GDDR3 like shown in the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back